Workplace Violence Compliance Training

This is a discussion on Workplace Violence Compliance Training within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I am doing my stupid mandatory annual compliance training. (Of course, no weapons are allowed in the building.) I get to the slide entitled, ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Workplace Violence Compliance Training

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Workplace Violence Compliance Training

So, I am doing my stupid mandatory annual compliance training. (Of course, no weapons are allowed in the building.) I get to the slide entitled, "Guidelines if a [...] Weapon is Involved" in a violent confrontation, and see among the "strategies" suggested:
    • Follow instructions from the person who has the weapon.
    • [...]
    • Don’t risk harm to yourself or others.

I sigh as I think to myself, the nimrods responsible for writing and approving this drivel see neither contradiction nor irony in these statements...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I hear your pain and frustration

My office has a workplace violence plan.

Effectively, it states "If it's the guy in the corner office by the copy machine, run. If it's not him, say out of his way and do what he says."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    My office has a workplace violence plan.

Effectively, it states "If it's the guy in the corner office by the copy machine, run. If it's not him, say out of his way and do what he says."
    LOL. I'm guessing that you're the guy in the corner office?

My workplace violence plan is 'shoot him to the ground'.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. I'm guessing that you're the guy in the corner office?

:)

The corner office has the copy machine, all the pens, copier paper, the coffee machine and no clients can find it.

It's my sanctum.

Enter without permisson and you will find out why that case of paper has been placed so dam high over by the door and what I've rigged with all the dental floss I stole from other people's desks...

"And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire..."

I'm sorta like Milton from Office Space.

With guns.

^God help them all!!
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Now that seems like a reasonable plan to me.

I just wish more of us were given that option to defend ourselves at work.

And yes, I too can't help but be frustrated by people not being able to see the contradiction between "do what he says" and "don't risk any harm".

How about let everyone know that "multiple people in an office are armed, so you better not attack anyone here or you will get shot" That seems like a good strategy to me. What I like to call "common sense" gun control strategy.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    so in other words..... roll over (submit)
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

My wife is a compliance manager for a large company. As you can guess a lot of this has to do with insurance.

My wife had a three day course she had to attend for part of her getting a certain certification. The suggestions were basically to turn off all of the lights you could and to get under desks.

I asked her if it might help to set off the fire alarms ( yes I have watched Die Hard a couple of times) and she looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears(yes I have watched A Christmas story a couple times).

Evidently thinking outside the box was not appreciated by the course instructor.

If anyone in my office were paying close enough attention to my attire today, they might notice the bottom of my spare mag peeking out from a leg pocket.. Recognize what that is, since it does say '40S&W 12rnd', and deductive reasoning would suggest that there is a firearm on my person that utilizes the mag.. :)

Sorry you have to deal with ridiculous rules.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Thomas View Post
    I asked her if it might help to set off the fire alarms ( yes I have watched Die Hard a couple of times) and she looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears(yes I have watched A Christmas story a couple times).
    please don't do that... fire fighter's job is dangerous enough without walking into an active shooter situation!
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

i cant carry at work either. but i have thought about what if senarios in my head. fortunaly i have many escape routes and exits and also being i am a mechanic i have access to tools that can be great weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    i cant carry at work either. but i have thought about what if senarios in my head. fortunaly i have many escape routes and exits and also being i am a mechanic i have access to tools that can be great weapons.
    I too am a mechanic, and I have stated at our annual employee meetings that everything in my truck can be considered a weapon. Blunt things, heavy things, sharp pointy things, even a couple of projectile launchers.

All I carry are tools, and some of them were designed for very specific uses. I also have my required PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as well as some additional optional ones - dual purpose - for additional safety.

At least at the last meeting I got the safety supervisor to state that a thing is a weapon if there is intent.

I'll keep plugging away at that policy to read "No illegal weapons".
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I work graveyard at a gas station... No weapons allowed on premises by employees, oh and I have been robbed at gunpoint at the cash register. I have ran the situation over in my head a thousand times but i don't believe there is anything i could do but comply.
    Morse

"A lack of preperation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

Just say "baa" to the "instructor"...and see what kind of response you get. Or challenge him/her with questions like....what if we're led to a back room, what dowe do? Because in all of the press reportings, every time people are led to a back room, everyone is killed. So is complying with the BGs demands and not resisting a good idea? What kind of life insurance does the company provide in this case? How will you take care of my family? What is your complete name and address so my estate can include you in the lawsuit against the company for not protecting me and "training" me to be compliant.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links