Things aren't always as they appear

This is a discussion on Things aren't always as they appear within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading another thread on here when it reminded me of a situation 8 yrs ago I was in a shopping center with some ...

Thread: Things aren't always as they appear

I was reading another thread on here when it reminded me of a situation 8 yrs ago

I was in a shopping center with some friends ( male and female) and it was around 7-9 ( it was dark out side) , but the parking lot was pretty well lit up.

walking to our cars. i hear some people arguing. we all turn around to observe, and what we saw was two young men ( 18-22)dressed the same, both brown pants and black shirt hassling and grabbing at a older man (40s) by him self. Which they were a pretty far distance away that i couldn't make out good details on faces.

automatically i thought the two younger guys were in a gang picking on a older guy. assumed the younger guys were in a gang because they were dressed the same.

turns out, the older guy stole something from a store where the younger guys worked, and their clothes were just the store uniform... just some food for thought

things ARENT

the title should sat ARENT not ARE....

Things are always as they appear ? Interesting topic

It's situations like that that should remind us that a CCW permit does not make you law enforcement or the world's security guard. Intervening in a situation where you don't know the whole story can be a disaster for you, be a good witness.

sorry, the title should say* " arent"
    Last edited by Pepsi; March 29th, 2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo, my goodness full of them today

There is another thread on this subject.
    A lot of material there, but I can't find it...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Understanding the difficulty in evaluating a situation that appears in front of you, or you walk upon, gives you an idea of what police officers (LE) are up against when assessing a situation they respond to. Confrontations aren't scripted like TV where you can tell the good guys from the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    the title should sat ARENT not ARE....
    edit button is your friend
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    edit button is your friend
    Hit edit, then go 'advanced' to fix the title.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's not really a good idea for store security to be chasing a shoplifter outside the store, and laying hands on them. Should have notified LE and kept the person in sight until they arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    It's not really a good idea for store security to be chasing a shoplifter outside the store, and laying hands on them. Should have notified LE and kept the person in sight until they arrived.
    He would have left,,,
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Depends on store policy and local laws.

I frequently perused and detained many a shoplifter. No touching unless they tried to run (occasionally) or opted to fight their way out (rarely). 98% never make it past the door before I stopped them.

Anyhow...Number one rule for CC. Don't get involved in anything that does not involve you, or anything that you do not have all the story on.

My personal mantra, it is not my problem until it becomes my problem. If I think it is serious or may become serious, call 911 and relay info as I see it. let the pro's sort it out.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Food for thought? I can't speak for the rest of the people here but harassing and grabbing a 40 year old man doesn't equal me running over with gun in hand.

IMO if there is shouting and bickering going on in public the best thing to do is be a tape recorder get closer if you have to, If you started walking over chances are other people may start doing the same. If it is gang related or some punks, the attention they are drawing will up the chance of them retreating.

Everything that goes down you can be a witness to. If it came to a life and death scenario that would be different. Whether or not you intervene in the argument to see what is going on or intervene with force is totally up to the individual.

Remember most of us on this board aren't law enforcement, nor are we trained to fight crime. By intervening in defense of anyone you are putting your name, citizen record and financial status on the line. Bad things can happen and you with a squeaky clean record could be criminally charged if you don't know the situation.

Just my 2 cents.... keep the change
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Sponsored Links