Curious circumstances...Bad, Good & Ugly all rolled into one...

This is a discussion on Curious circumstances...Bad, Good & Ugly all rolled into one... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Albany teacher fatally shot in Amherst : Northern Suburbs : The Buffalo News...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

This is a real shame, but I can't blame the home owner.

Tragic deal, but I feel like the homeowner was well within his rights, he'll suffer for this also. The anti's will sure have fun with it. They'll be wanting people to fire warning shots now, because I suppose a verbal warning isn't good enough.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Tragic deal, but I feel like the homeowner was well within his rights, he'll suffer for this also. The anti's will sure have fun with it. They'll be wanting people to fire warning shots now, because I suppose a verbal warning isn't good enough.
    Isn't racking the slide a "constructive" warning shot?

VIP Member
    "I don't [know] why he ended up in the house," Amherst Assistant Police Chief Timothy M. Green said of Park. "Right now, it's a mystery to us.""

Alcohol?

Home owner left doors unlocked?

No one can wander into your home by mistake if you lock your doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    "I don't [know] why he ended up in the house," Amherst Assistant Police Chief Timothy M. Green said of Park. "Right now, it's a mystery to us.""

Alcohol?

Home owner left doors unlocked?

No one can wander into your home by mistake if you lock your doors.
    Locks are only to keep honest people out.

"I can't say I am angry at the man who shot David, or that I hate him," Park's sister said. "I understand that a person would be scared if someone came into their home, but I don't think shooting somebody solves anything. Why couldn't this person just fire a warning shot?"

It solves the problem of repeat offenders.

Now in the case of this shooting, it sounds like a terrible mistake, but the homeowner only did what many of us might have done. This incident is going to take its toll on many families...very sad!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It sounds like the homeowner did verbally warn the guy.

The man's wife called 911 while the man pulled out a hunting shotgun he keeps in his home, the attorney said.

"The homeowner repeatedly warned the individual who had come into the house that he was armed and he should leave," Burton said. "The authorities are checking the 911 tapes to verify those preshooting warnings. ... When somebody comes crashing into your home at 1 in the morning, you don't have time for detached observation."
    It's a tragedy, for sure. But the homeowner did nothing wrong. There isn't time to do an interview in these situations.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member

re: Siafu

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Locks are only to keep honest people out.
    Yes, but they do stop folks from accidentally wandering in. And, if the homeowner had his doors locked (we don't know either way) and the "nice teacher" somehow forced his way in, well, he got what he deserved.

My gradnfather told me when I was smaller that I would get many lessons in life but I needed to be aware, that some lessons are terminal.

Albany Teacher Fatally Shot in Amherst

Albany Teacher Fatally Shot in Amherst
    Homeowner Suspected Man Was An Intruder

By Dan Herbeck and Phil Fairbanks
    NEWS STAFF REPORTERS
    Updated: March 29, 2010, 1:32 pm
    Published: March 29, 2010, 11:39 am

Amherst Police are investigating the death of an Albany school teacher who was fatally shot by a homeowner who claimed the teacher had broken into his home.

David W. Park, 31, who taught at an Albany elementary school and was a Little League baseball coach, was shot inside a Millbrook Court residence shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday and was later pronounced dead in Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital.

As of late Sunday night, no charges had been filed against the homeowner. Police have not publicly identified him, but two sources close to the case today identified him as David D'Amico.

D'Amico is listed in town property records as the co-owner of the home where the shooting took place, with his wife, Julie.

Police said Park had been visiting friends in Amherst. His sister told The Buffalo News that Park was attending a "diaper party" for a close friend whose wife is expecting a baby soon.

According to law enforcement officials, detectives are investigating reports that Park had attended the party at another home on Millbrook Court, had left the party for awhile, and then entered the wrong home.

"I don't [know] why he ended up in the house," Amherst Assistant Police Chief Timothy M. Green said of Park. "Right now, it's a mystery to us."

The shooter's attorney, Thomas H. Burton, said his client is badly shaken by the incident, but emphasized that, in his view, the man broke no laws.

"Any way you look at this, it's a tragedy," Burton said, "but it isn't one that involved any illegal activity by the owner of the home. He and his wife are good citizens. ... This is not something they wanted or expected."

Burton said the homeowner and his wife were "sound asleep" when they heard someone entering their home. He said they did not know Park.

The man's wife called 911 while the man pulled out a hunting shotgun he keeps in his home, the attorney said.

"The homeowner repeatedly warned the individual who had come into the house that he was armed and he should leave," Burton said. "The authorities are checking the 911 tapes to verify those preshooting warnings. ... When somebody comes crashing into your home at 1 in the morning, you don't have time for detached observation."

Burton said his client and his wife — on his advice — spoke to police about the incident and allowed them to search their home without a warrant.

"I would not allow that if I thought there was anything illegal associated with this shooting," the attorney said.

While declining to identify D'Amico by name, Burton said his client is a local construction executive with no criminal record, and his wife is a school teacher.

Police released few details of the shooting, which took place in a normally quiet neighborhood in the Sweet Home School District, where homes frequently sell in the range of $150,000 to $200,000.

Green said police found Park, who was suffering from a gunshot wound, when they responded to a phone call of an intruder inside the home.

"We're talking to people in the neighborhood and people who were around," Green told reporters, "but what they're telling us, we're not going to make public right now."

Green said police have spoken to District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III about the case and stressed that the investigation is ongoing.

Park's sister, Stephanie Garcia Galagarza of Albany, said her brother was a loving, non-violent man who loved to work with children.

"I was not there. I don't know what happened," Garcia Galagarza said. "I know he is not a burglar."

She said she does know that her brother and his wife went to Amherst to celebrate with some friends who are expecting a baby soon. According to Garcia Galagarza, the women were at a baby shower Saturday night and the men got together for a "diaper party" at a home near the shooting location.

"They were there to celebrate a life, a new baby," Garcia Galagarza said. "My brother was a mentor, a teacher, you name it."

Garcia Galagarza said she has heard from others that her brother went to a party, then left the party to go outside for a while, and then went into the wrong house.

"I can't say I am angry at the man who shot David, or that I hate him," Park's sister said. "I understand that a person would be scared if someone came into their home, but I don't think shooting somebody solves anything. Why couldn't this person just fire a warning shot?"

The neighborhood is near Maple Road and Millersport Highway, just east of the University at Buffalo's North Campus. Millbrook Court, which runs off Millbrook Drive, has six houses in it, close together.

Neighbors told The News they were shocked by the incident and are wondering what actually happened.

"Amherst is ranked as one of the safest places in the country. We don't have things like that happen here," said one man who lives nearby. "This is a neighborhood where people don't bother each other, but if you need help, they are there for you."

Whether Park thought he was entering a party house or entered the house for some other reason is "not relevant" under state law, according to Burton, who is an expert on self-defense shootings.

"What is important under the law is what was in the mind of the homeowner who is defending his property," Burton said. "This was a tragedy. The events that started it did not begin with the homeowner."

dherbeck@buffnews.com; pfairbanks@buffnews.com
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would love to see what kinda alcohol/drugs were in his system
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would love to see what kinda alcohol/drugs were in his system
    My thoughts exactly. The dead guy is over 250 miles from home, goes to a diaper party (normally all-guy affairs - ya think there might have been some drinking going on?), enters a totally strange home, and does not respond to the homeowner's challenges?

If the guy hadn't been shot, he probably would have been a threat to his own safety of that of others on the road.

You bet I want to see the toxicology report!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Don't read the reader comments unless you want a splitting headache.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Doesn't make sense. The homeowners were asleep, right? I would say most of the lights and TV's were off. When this guy "mistakenly" walked into their house, you don't think he'd stop and think, "Hmm... this place seems different, and quiet, and dark..."

And then when the homeowner yelled that he's armed and to get out, you think he would have thought it was a bit strange.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links