Defensive Carry while driving.....

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry while driving..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well this isn't really a scenario nor is it training.... so I didn't know where to put this..... I am always thinking "what if" scenarios ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry while driving.....

Well this isn't really a scenario nor is it training.... so I didn't know where to put this.....

I am always thinking "what if" scenarios in my head..... and the one that I can't seem to come up with a solution is when I'm driving....

I carry my weapon at about 4:00 -4:30 on my hip and that is right where my seatbelt seems to meet the buckle.... Every situation I've tried to create in my head (car jacker at the driver's side window, passenger gets violent, etc) and act out seem to take WAY too long for me to get the seatbelt out of the way, unholster my weapon and acquire either a passenger or Driverside window... being able to do this without muzzling myself or my passenger doesn't seem to work Unless I extend my arm and the weapon OVER my steering wheel... and in my head, my car jacker is already reaching into my vehicle and can easly grab my gun in that situation... I don't mind setting my gun in the passenger seat when I'm driving alone, but I DO NOT want to unholster my weapon like that especially when I have a passenger sitting right next to me...

How you train for this situation? Where do you keep your weapon?

How do you solve my scenario in a safe, fast/efficient, and tactical manner?

Thanks!
    "Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.

I have another carry gun in the glove box. If you couple situational awareness with a several-thousand pound vehicle, you could very easily use your vehicle to extricate you from a given situation. You might consider mounting another holster in the vehicle, in your door picket, or behind the passenger seat.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I haven't done any training for this type of scenario but have thought a lot about it. Here is my take. I ALWAYS make sure my weapon is on my person allowing me access it when the time is right. Anyone wanting to car jack you is going to tell you to "Get the ----- out of the car!!". I would then be very nervous/scared especially is they have a handgun, causing me to fumble with the gear shifter, seatbelt, opening the door, getting out, etc. I would also talk to the guy "take it easy", " I don't want any trouble", "Take the car"....The whole time waiting for the opportunity to draw. It may work out that there is a chance, however I have no plans of playing hero and if the chance to safely draw and engage does not present itself....then the perp gets to joy ride in my Impala.

JHMO,
    MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

AzB
    If I can wear a jacket, shoulder holster. On a long drive, it's more comfy too.

But for the most part, I don't drive much anymore, preferring two wheels for commuting.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    I have another carry gun in the glove box. If you couple situational awareness with a several-thousand pound vehicle, you could very easily use your vehicle to extricate you from a given situation. You might consider mounting another holster in the vehicle, in your door picket, or behind the passenger seat.
    Of course situational awareness is critical... and the best place to beduring a gun fight is not in the gun fight... however I travel in Detroit a lot and traffic or directions don't always allow for excape routes even if you try to create them yourself... on the 3 & 4 lane roads if you try to leave that gap in front of you at a red light, someone will try to squeeze in and block or deter your plan especially during rush hour... This is the time when the homeless, the tweekers, the crackheads, the drunks, and any other potential bad guy will walk up to the vehicle asking for change, food, etc...

This is why I am trying to figure out the best way to deploy my weapon as fast and as safe to me and my passengers as possible.... I like the idea of a holster in the door... but I have nieces and nephews that ride in the back seat that have "roaming hands".... its suprising what I find stuck in and behind the front seats... LOL

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    If I can wear a jacket, shoulder holster. On a long drive, it's more comfy too.

But for the most part, I don't drive much anymore, preferring two wheels for commuting.
    I'm short and fat...LOL I think the shoulder holster would be almost ideal in this situation of having the BG at the window.... and have looked into getting a shoulder holsters for the long trips but can't seem to find one that will either fit or be comfortable enough for me to wear! Same thing goes with an ankle holser.... I'm fat and yes I can touch my toes, but in a car with the steering wheel in front of me... Its difficult.... Yeah, I know, I know.... I'm working on losing weight.... but that crap ain't easy! LOL

+1 on the two wheels! Thats my perferred way to travel but its not always an option for me especially when the nieces & nephews visit or the sub-arctic temps during the Michigan winter!

I mostly carry on my hip when I'm dressed casual, but when I'm dressed in a suit for special occasions, I carry my BUG in a pants pocket.... Both difficult to access when driving and wearing a seatbelt....

There's always crossdraw. That way the gun is not restricted by the seatbelt, but you still have the issue of pulling the gun and pointing it without putting yourself in the line of fire.

There are also some holster makers who make car holsters that go either on the passenger seat or between the driver's legs. That might be an option as well.

There is also this: Vehicle seat holster The only one on the market! Please advise us the type of gun you have and holster orientation

I keep mine at about the 3 o'clock position when I get in. I always adjust my shirt and/or jacket appropiately to have quick access if needed. However, I'm not too worried about anyone approaching my truck as a threat. I tend to not travel through trouble areas.

I wear mine driving just like i do everywhere else...right behind my left hip about 8:30 (southpaw) IWB...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

i usually keep another revolver in the console or under my leg.

I carry further around on my body, about 2:30, sometimes 3. I make and effort after buckling the seat belt to clear a path to the weapon. For long trips I bring a car holster made out of an unkle mikes holster. I just strap it to the console.

I travel in Ohio now a fair bit, and it has to be in a holster on the body to be legal in car carry there, so no out of holster option.
    weids likes this.

For short drives around town, I just use my everyday carry holsters...either OWB at 4:30, or IWB/SOB at 5:00-5:30.

For long trips I use either a fanny pack or this... FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    For off body carry I like this setup.
    Vehicle Handgun Mount

If you want to keep the gun on you, I like crossdraw holsters while in the vehicle. You can buy some pretty cheap paddle holsters and just use them while in the car. Fobus, Blackhawk etc.

Quote Originally Posted by STOGIE01 View Post
    Every situation I've tried to create in my head (car jacker at the driver's side window, passenger gets violent, etc) and act out seem to take WAY too long for me to get the seatbelt out of the way,
    This actually works in your favor. If you're being car jacked, your hand has to go to un-buckle your seatbelt anyway - what better excuse to draw. If a BG sees your hand going somewhere it "shouldn't" you might end up with a bullet in you.

A few years ago the manager of a local gun store got car jacked (in the Det. PD parking lot of all places). and drew while unbuckling, started shooting on the way out. The BG on the pass side ran away.

driving draw?

Quote Originally Posted by STOGIE01 View Post
    Of course situational awareness is critical... and the best place to beduring a gun fight is not in the gun fight... however I travel in Detroit a lot and traffic or directions don't always allow for excape routes even if you try to create them yourself... on the 3 & 4 lane roads if you try to leave that gap in front of you at a red light, someone will try to squeeze in and block or deter your plan especially during rush hour... This is the time when the homeless, the tweekers, the crackheads, the drunks, and any other potential bad guy will walk up to the vehicle asking for change, food, etc...

This is why I am trying to figure out the best way to deploy my weapon as fast and as safe to me and my passengers as possible.... I like the idea of a holster in the door... but I have nieces and nephews that ride in the back seat that have "roaming hands".... its suprising what I find stuck in and behind the front seats... LOL

Thanks for the reply!

What do you drive? My 78 F250 with a bench seat has a holster mounted into the front of the bench (granted obscured in 4th gear) behind the gear shift. In my car, I like the cross draw or shoulder rig.

Brad
    bentobd
    "If the law is upheld only by government officials, then all law is at an end." Herbert Hoover

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links