Wild West

This is a discussion on Wild West within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a very small SE Ohio city. No jobs, lots of drugs. The city is in financial wow's (mostly from mis-management IMO) I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild West

Wild West

I live in a very small SE Ohio city. No jobs, lots of drugs.
    The city is in financial wow's (mostly from mis-management IMO)
    I believe now the local agriculture is meth.
    The local Sheriffs dept is down to bare bones coverage.
    Im guessing its soon to be like the wild west here.
    My wife an I are empty nesters ,Im 50 years old and for the first time in my life Im getting concerned.
    I think my next purchase is going to me a tactical 12 gauge of some type, razor wire and Claymores!

2. Remove Ads

It seems to be like that everywhere. No jobs, drugs coming out of the woodwork. Shotguns a good thing to have around. Stock up on ammo and put good locks on your doors, I think its only going to git worse.
    Luke 22:36 and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I think my next purchase is going to me a tactical 12 gauge"

That's a good start and especially effective, but consider that you won't have it "on" you all the time.

Shotgun is great if you have time to access it (such as from the bedroom closet), whereas a carried (or simply sitting on the endtable next to you while watching TV) pistol/revolver is immediately available.

Before you invest a bundle of cash for locks, make sure your door frame is extra sturdy and will resist a kick-in. I found out the hard way that a good deadbolt is worthless when the wood door frame splinters! And it will!

Likewise, make sure your windows aren't easily jimmied. Many items are avail at Hommie D and the like to make them more resistant.

Sorry to hear about the town's and your troubles. Much the same here where I live. Pot houses outnumber the residents. Sad how our gov't (and I'm talking both parties)has let the quality of life in our towns and cities deteriorate and jobs go overseas.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

While there ain't nothing wrong with a shotgun, I think in the 21st century one could do better than a shotgun. To wit a semi-auto rifle. Even many police departments are now getting that message.

Well, you've made the most important step, your concerned. I believe many in our Nation are now getting concerned, but they need to do something about it. Get armed, vote, etc.. Sitting back and ignoring it like a bunch of will not help a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    While there ain't nothing wrong with a shotgun, I think in the 21st century one could do better than a shotgun. To wit a semi-auto rifle. Even many police departments are now getting that message.
    I think that depends entirely on your tactical objective. For a homeowner defending himself and his family in their house, I respectfully submit that there is no better weapon than a shotgun for a decisive engagement. I also agree with OldVet, having a sidearm on your person at all times should also be part of the equation. Things can happen faster than you can get to the shotgun in the closet, and having a layered defense is the best way to prepare for potential threats.

On the street, against multiple targets at longer ranges than would be encountered in a residence, I concur that a semi-automatic rifle would be an advantage. I think the OP is correct in his decision to have a tac shotgun in the home - two would even be better, one for each of them. Stay safe.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It's getting bad all over, some States are being hit harder then others of course and some places in certain States harder then others, but it's hitting everywhere. Drugs and robberies are rising quickly.

A home just one block over was robbed the other day from me. I knew it would happen, they just let loose the king drug addict out of prison last week and his cronies are starting to come around.

We've got to stay strong my friends. I always like this saying (well my version of it, goes along with one of my favorite T.V. shows Tool Time).

*Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me and I have more firepower!*
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Crime is increasing everywhere.
    Florida's unemployment rate is way over 12% now, and rising.
    Prepare for the worst and stay alert.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Crime is increasing everywhere.
    Florida's unemployment rate is way over 12% now, and rising.
    Prepare for the worst and stay alert.

I know this to be very true .

Quote Originally Posted by wraymusicman View Post
    I think that depends entirely on your tactical objective. For a homeowner defending himself and his family in their house, I respectfully submit that there is no better weapon than a shotgun for a decisive engagement. I also agree with OldVet, having a sidearm on your person at all times should also be part of the equation. Things can happen faster than you can get to the shotgun in the closet, and having a layered defense is the best way to prepare for potential threats.

On the street, against multiple targets at longer ranges than would be encountered in a residence, I concur that a semi-automatic rifle would be an advantage. I think the OP is correct in his decision to have a tac shotgun in the home - two would even be better, one for each of them. Stay safe.
    Absolutly nothing wrong with a shot gun, but be aware of a few "myths" about them.

Myth #1: You do not have to aim a shotgun. Just face it in the general direction of the bad guy and pull the trigger. The buckshot will be able to find it's way to COM on the bad guy.

See item #2 of "Lessens learned" at the end of this article;

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 2

Myth #2: Just the sound of a pump shot gun being racked will cause even the most hardened criminal to wet himself and flee like a momma's boy.

See lessons learned item #4.

Also pay attention to lessons learned item #3. Make sure of your backstop AND BEYOND especially with slugs.

There was actually less violent crime per capita in the "Wild" West than what we see today

I have a handgun on or near me in the house, but if I can get to my rem 870 then I am grabbing it.

Good choice in getting armed and protecting you and yours.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Next county over had a LEO shot last wk. Thank God for his vest! Treated and released. But now they're saying the Bloods & Crypts are trying to establish their drug trafficing territories there and in this county, and the shooting was related. Started as a routine traffic stop, car apparently linked to Colombus, Ohio (Danged Buckeyes!! LOL). Our county seat has had 2 drug-related shootings in 2 blocks this wk.

I live 20 mi. from the county seat at the edge of a village. Neighbors and I are well armed, always.

Stay safe.
    Bob

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    And with meth comes home invasions. Arm up, it just might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I live in a very small SE Ohio city. No jobs, lots of drugs.
    The city is in financial wow's (mostly from mis-management IMO)
    I believe now the local agriculture is meth.
    The local Sheriffs dept is down to bare bones coverage.
    Im guessing its soon to be like the wild west here.
    My wife an I are empty nesters ,Im 50 years old and for the first time in my life Im getting concerned.I think my next purchase is going to me a tactical 12 gauge of some type, razor wire and Claymores!

Dude, move! There are so many better places in the US. And probably cheaper too.

Life is too short to live in crappy places.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links