How Would You Handle This? Home Invasion - Group of Armed Men

This is a discussion on How Would You Handle This? Home Invasion - Group of Armed Men within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a true story, out of today's local newspaper. How would you handle a home invasion with 6-7 armed men? Police search for men ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Handle This? Home Invasion - Group of Armed Men

This is a true story, out of today's local newspaper. How would you handle a home invasion with 6-7 armed men?

Police search for men involved in home invasion - The Daily Freeman Blotter: Serving the Hudson Valley since 1871(DailyFreeman.com)

WAWARSING – State police were searching for six to seven black males in connection with a reported home invasion robbery that occurred early Tuesday morning.

A young couple living on Old Greenfield Road reported that six to seven black males entered their home armed with handguns, wearing masks and gloves and demanding money, state police at Wawarsing said. Police said the residents suffered minor injuries during the robbery and were treated at a local hospital and released.

The robbers fled from the residence with unknown proceeds and were last seen on foot heading towards state Route 52, police said.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call investigators at (845) 626-2800
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    If I was caught off guard an unarmed I would have no choice but to comply and pray they didnt kill me. If I had forewarning there would be six to seven bodies with .223 holes waiting for the county ME to pick up.

Given only that information I would assume that many people breaking into my house at the same time would mean they are a hit squad or in other words intend me great harm that I will not survive if I do not fight back swiftly and severely. That is a situation in my mind where you have every advantage to fight back now and under no circumstances submit to their demands.

Of course this would take vigialance and a high capacity firearm stashed nearby.

Can I assume it was dark out? (Tuesday morning) Maybe but if it was me I would probably be up drinking my coffee with my J frame stuffed in my front sweatshirt pocket and I would be ready. Not everyone is as paranoid as me though. I would use the J frame to cover myself as I got to my Hi Power (I dont have a shotgun) commenced front sight focus squeeze as many times as it took to quell the threat.

As for taking hits myself....well.....

IMHO this is why a pistol on your nightstand should be considered the minimum, not the sufficient, resource at hand. Better yet is an AK or AR (or something along those lines). With extra magazine (preferably attached to weapon platform somehow).

It is doubtful in my mind that 6-7 men with handguns will particularly want to stay and shoot it out with a hiomeowner who has just dropped 2-3 of them and left them dying in pools of their blood. Most thugs will flee and try to save their own skin at that point.

It will be interesting to see if this couple had any early warning detection system (e.g. dog or alarm), or any means to protect themselves.

That sounds like a no win situation and I am of the mine set that if they are coming in with guns they are there to kill everyone and that being said I rather go down fighting my daughter has a shotgun in her room i have my handgun at the ready and other weapons the wife will get like my AR. I also have dogs that will warn me if someone is at the door and slow them down if they come in. God willing this will never happen.
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Administrator
    Every time I read one of these stories, the cynic of experience wonders why. These are rarely random crimes as they are reported.

At any rate, I'd handle it the best I know how given how I'm equipt at the time. Typically, its my 228 and I'm very confident I could handle the situation with that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

AR15 with spare mags
    Glock/Sig on my hip
    Two large dogs
    armed wife
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member

+1 Not random

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Every time I read one of these stories, the cynic of experience wonders why. These are rarely random crimes as they are reported.

At any rate, I'd handle it the best I know how given how I'm equipt at the time. Typically, its my 228 and I'm very confident I could handle the situation with that.
    Yes, not random, but possibly mistaken location. Since I don't keep anything fancy around, no .223, M1, shotgun, I'd do what any self-respecting coward does--- try to slip out the back door, hide, evade, etc. because the odds aren't good.

Failing that, (maybe because of lack of opportunity) there'd be no choice but to go at it with an inadequate to the job handgun and hope that they flee after the first two or three shots are fired.

This story may be one example of where lack of resistance saved the resident's lives.

I agree with SIXTO in that usually it's something drug related on targeted people who may have someone in the house who owes them money or something related. I wouldn't expect that at my home except for the fact that I have druggies and ex-con's on both sides of me and one across the street. Soooooo, if someone got my house by mistake?

Then again, even with my circumstances regarding my neighbors, it is a small community and while a couple of my neighbors have been in the State House, they aren't of the caliber to warrant that type of trouble. Still, one never knows, right?

Bottom line is that my wife and I are more than just "casually armed." Plus I've been a member of our county swat team for 10 years. Not just a "cold zone" medic but part of the entry team. I'm certainly not invincible or trying to imply that. I'm just pointing out that I have more than just average ccw handgun training and basic or intermediate combat shooting course.

More often than not I have my Colt AR-15 Govt. Carbine sitting at the end of the sofa. (30 rounds of Hornady TAP in the rifle and a double mag carrier with 60 more rounds Hornady next to it) Not to mention always a Hi-Capacity 9mm or .40 cal handgun either on my person or within my reach while at home.

I don't open doors to strangers at night and never open doors daytime or otherwise without a pistol in my hand or in my holster. And I know every LEO in my county including State troopers and the area city LEO's.

Given the riff raff in my neighborhood, anyone who makes the mistake of forcing their way in will have the surprise of their life. I don't care if it's two of them or a party of ten. I'm certainly not going to wait until I count how many come in before I respond.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    If I have time to get to my closet I would respond with an M1 Carbine, but more than likely I would be fighting with a Taurus PT-111 as my wife tries to get our boys out of the house
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Like anything I respond to here. I'm saying your going to be unprepared for that type of manpower to come in on you at probably time in the morning when your trying to get ready for work or kids up or whatever the reason, your guard is going to be lower then usual.

If time allowed or my weapon is close, take one or two out and hope the rest see reason and book.

If time allows, send myself and the wife out the back way and come back after calling the police or regrouping if possible. Like Hopyard said LOL. I do believe in living to fight another day against overwhelming odds, nothing wrong with that.

If neither, then I'm going to comply and give them what they want and if it goes south, I'll go down fighting and try and at least get the wife out of harms way or give her a chance to reach a weapon.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I don't open doors to anyone, day or night unless I know them. If I don't, I'll ask through the door or mail slot what they want. I have motion sensor lights that illuminate the door area at night. If they are persistent, I walk a few steps to the bedroom and unrack my Mossberg 500 Home defense w/ 00 buck and carry it to the door. For some reason the strangers always leave quickly. In Florida we have the Castle Law. Trying to break down the door or any window would be met with as many shots as I could get off while my wife reloads the empty guns and calls 911. If they get into my house it will be over my dead body!

I would have center mass 6

With the way my house is set up, it's a simple math problem:
    (1) 13 round mag + (1) 15 round mag=28 rounds.
    28 rounds for 7 BG's = (4) .40 hollowpoints for each person.

How would you handle a home invasion with 6-7 armed men?
    Since they have to come a narrow, unprotected stairway to the bedrooms, one word: Benelli.

Then after 10 rounds of that, we go to the AR & 30 rounds of TAP. After that, the 1911. And after that, if any survive:

Sweetie Pie - She is 200+ pounds of hormonal, menopausal female wife that stays perpetually angry at me and dreams daily of beating a man to death with her bare hands, then eviscerating him and strangling him with his own entrails......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links