Police kick down the wrong door

This is a discussion on Police kick down the wrong door within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to admit, I have never thought about this. I'm a law abiding citizen and public servant. Never in my wildest dreams would I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Police kick down the wrong door

I have to admit, I have never thought about this. I'm a law abiding citizen and public servant. Never in my wildest dreams would I think police would be coming to my home unless called by me.

If I where in bed or heck even in my living room and my door where to fly open and people enter my home, given I had enough time I would draw my weapon, I would start firing. I strongly doubt the time would be taken to distinguish uniform or not.

Recently there have been several shootings involving people wearing tactical style vest that say police. I hate to say this, mistake, prank, or other wise if this where to happen there would be a tragic outcome.

Something to consider...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

re: mlr1m "Fighting police

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I would never even consider fighting any police. Wouldn't matter if I were better armed than them or not. I would beat them in court because I have committed no crimes.
    Fully agree. That would be a sure way to get yourself injured or killed.

However, just as a matter of an odd curiosity of a state law, Texas
    actually has in its code a specific provision allowing the use of force against the police under very tight circumstances.

Penal Code Section 9.31 46.05 (c) The use of force to resist an arrest or search is justified: (1) if, before the actor offers any resistance, the peace officer (or person acting at his direction) uses or attempts to use greater force than necessary to the arrest or search; and (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the peace officer's (or other person's) use of attempted use of greater force than necessary.

My opinion, notwithstanding this law you had best not fight back. Better to take an unlawful beating and deal with the brutality aspect later.

it's true, you can't fight for yourself in a "police state." The police state makes us all sheep, even if we feel safe behind our little hand guns.

Gotta love outswing miami-dade rated hurricane doors and impact glass in South Florida. Awfully hard to kick those. All the noise generated allows for plenty of time for IDing the guys with the broken or sprained ankles.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Here's a twist to the situation. A few of you talked about recognizing officers. If I'm woken up in the middle of the night to a lot of noise I'm probably not going to understand much of what is being yelled by others as I'll be doing a fair amount of screaming myself.

Here's the kicker though, I wouldn't recognize a cop from a guy in full hockey gear. I sleep without my contacts in because that brand is cheaper, and I'm legally blind without them in. I could see well enough to distinguish a human form and I can just about guarantee I could shoot straight, but as far as details go I see shapes and large blotches of color.

So now we have a half-blind 22 year old who is dazed and confused after being noisily and suddenly roused from his slumber by unknown intruders.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I think I had a similar but maybe opposite situation. While riding my motorcycle, in my PINK leathers (they were used and cheap) a cop from ohio, pulled me over while I was way out in the country 35 miles into Ky-- I was at that time very thin-. _why was he there IDK__ When I pulled off my helmet he was surprised that I was not a woman - What were his plans? Not sure, but he made up a BS excuse and got back into his car and backed down the road away from me.

PINK leathers? Why in the world? Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Gotta love outswing miami-dade rated hurricane doors and impact glass in South Florida. Awfully hard to kick those. All the noise generated allows for plenty of time for IDing the guys with the broken or sprained ankles.

J
    Not sure if you were joking.
    A steel hook on the outswing door attached with chain to the van, then a 50lb steel battering ram on the door. Take two or three seconds.
    They (special units) don't kick doors anymore.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Here's the kicker though, I wouldn't recognize a cop from a guy in full hockey gear. I sleep without my contacts in because that brand is cheaper, and I'm legally blind without them in. I could see well enough to distinguish a human form and I can just about guarantee I could shoot straight, but as far as details go I see shapes and large blotches of color.

So now we have a half-blind 22 year old who is dazed and confused after being noisily and suddenly roused from his slumber by unknown intruders.
    heres a tip...get yourself a pair of glasses to wear in the event of an emergency...cause youre not going to have time to put your contacts in if the house is burning around you or a criminal is in the house...

I never figured I'd bother putting them in, and I don't have eye insurance right now so that makes it difficult to get glasses. Like I said, I can see well enough to do things, it's not like I'm stumbling around my house. I just couldn't tell you anything more about what's on the TV than whatever the main color of the picture is or who's standing in my doorway aside from what main color they're wearing.

I can see well enough to shoot straight, that much I can guarantee. I just couldn't begin to tell you who exactly it is I'm shooting at other than someone who is not supposed to be where they are.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Realistically I think if you shoot a cop, even if they break down the door with no notice, you're gonna spend about 20 years in the steel bars hotel. ........

Yes, I concur. Especially as the LEO's will almost assuredly consult amongst themselves to make sure their stories are straight. They will likely claim they used appropriate ID techniques, even if they didn't. I'm not saying all LEO's are bad, but it's just natural that they would want to protect their 'brothers'.

Which is why I vote for basically NO no-knock entries, unless it's maybe to search for a terrorist with a weapon of mass destruction. At the very least, all such no-knock raids should be video (and audio) taped.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I don't like no knock warrants. They may have a place is VERY restricted situations, but they create more problems. It seems like the police spend all this time and money training SWAT teams then go looking for nails to use that hammer on.

Gangs in Arizona are already dressing up in police gear for home invasions.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links