Officer Shoots Dog

This is a discussion on Officer Shoots Dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Officer Shoots Dog on Traffic Stop - News- msnbc.com This is my favorite part "Even if the dog comes toward the officer, the dog is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Officer Shoots Dog

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

Officer Shoots Dog

Officer Shoots Dog on Traffic Stop - News- msnbc.com

This is my favorite part "Even if the dog comes toward the officer, the dog is within his right. He's protecting his owner,"

IMHO -- if you don't want your dog shot then either control them or put them on a leash!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Officer Shoots Dog on Traffic Stop - News- msnbc.com

This is my favorite part "Even if the dog comes toward the officer, the dog is within his right. He's protecting his owner,"

IMHO -- if you don't want your dog shot then either control them or put them on a leash!!
    If my dog is in my yard........................he is under control
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post

Seems the officer was on the Dog owners property according to the report so your defense that the dog was running loose un-controled doesn't seem logical IMO. Also IMO according to the report the officer fired 2-3 shots injuring bystanders with shrapnel which possibly could have been worse. Also firing towards minor children.

If this had been a defensive action by a civilian it would be handled differently Im sure with the the injuring of bystanders & endangerment of others.

The dog is defending his property. Too bad the owner didn't train him to recognize the police... (sarcasm)

Did the officer not have some pepper spray to neutralize the animal with?

People have rights not animals.
    The attempt to attribute humanness to animals is part of what's wrong with this country today. Don't get me wrong, I do love animals, both as pets and as food.
    However, it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that his animal is properly restrained when someone enters the property. Failure to do so, by the owner shows a lack of concern and negligence on the owner's part towards his property, the dog.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Failure to do so, by the owner shows a lack of concern and negligence on the owner's part towards his property, the dog.

Biker
    Except when that person is encountering the police in a traffic stop.. they tend to restrict where you can move and what you can do when they have you stopped.

So in other words any neighbor walking his dog down thes street had no barrier between this pit bull and his dog. Which always seems to translates to a deadly attack by pit bull article in the newspaper.

Pit bulls are why quite often I carry a 10mm. No mercy.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If an unleashed dog that I perceive as an imminent threat is in my face and I am armed, he will die.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    If an unleashed dog that I perceive as an imminent threat is in my face and I am armed, he will die.
    Sure hope your not on my property. The dog will be getting company then.

I like part of what bikerrn said. We are out of balance in our thinking as a nation. If animals had rights, we could not own or eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigArn View Post
    Sure hope your not on my property. The dog will be getting company then.
    Then you will more than likely live in an 8x10 cage for the rest of your life and become someone's woman.... is your dog worth that?

Lots of angles to this story - this may be a long one.

For a little background, the one time I have felt threatened enough to draw a weapon was for a dog. Hiking in Colorado, I had an unleashed dog agressively charge me on a trail, with no one else in sight. The dog rounded the last corner that gave me a clear shot, and I was just about to fire, when I heard the owner calling the dog. Fortunately, the dog listened, did an about-face, and was still alive when I had a little chat with the owner.

A dog off leash is not a problem, if the dog is under control. Boulder county passed an ordinance in the last year or so, allowing dogs off leash to be on park trails and in open space, as long as they were in sight and within range of verbal commands, and the owner could demonstrate control at all times. That's a whole lot more room to run than in someone's front yard.

The scenerio in the news story has some troubling elements, and some missing info. A "dog barking as it comes towards" you is not the same as a dog about to tear in to you, and may have still been 'under control' of the owners at that time. That was the case in my situation, although I didn't know it initially. Was lethal force really the last resort in this case? What about the bystanders, and those in the house that the officer used as a backstop?

I wasn't there, and I know how difficult a LEO job can be. There may have been other factors involved - owners reaction or lack of reaction to the dog's actions could be a big one. However, if this would have been a CCW shoot, I can only imagine the hell that would have rained down, especially with injured bystanders.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Then you will more than likely live in an 8x10 cage for the rest of your life and become someone's woman
    I don't think so.
    Quit watching court TV OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    So in other words any neighbor walking his dog down thes street had no barrier between this pit bull and his dog. Which always seems to translates to a deadly attack by pit bull article in the newspaper.

Pit bulls are why quite often I carry a 10mm. No mercy.
    ah yes...more bravado and irrational fear...gotta love it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

So has anyone actually seen the video? All I see is a picture and the article. Not a whole lot to really go on before passing any sort of armchair qb judgement. Folks do need to realize though that just about any larger breed dog is going to do what it can to protect it's owner if it feels they are threatened.

My question is where'd the dog come from? Was it in the car? In the yard nearby to the stop? Secured or unsecured in said yard? Was the person stopped in the car also the owner of the home or not?

Seems to me an unknown person to the dog entered the property and the dog did what dogs do defending their pack and territory. The article mentioned the dog advancing on the officer. Does the cam show the officer backing away and outside of the property first? One would think a dog defending it's territory is going to back off when the "threat" backs out...

If the officer was on someone else's property unrelated to the stop, that property owner has a leg to stand on as far as I'm concerned.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links