Fender Bender Scenario

Fender Bender Scenario

This is a discussion on Fender Bender Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets say you are on a small road with one or two lanes with a low speed limit, 30 MPH or so. The car in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender Bender Scenario

Fender Bender Scenario

Lets say you are on a small road with one or two lanes with a low speed limit, 30 MPH or so. The car in front of you suddenly slams on its brakes.You slam on yours, but its too late, and you accidentally rear in the person in front you. Nothing major, just a fender bender. Its 100% your fault. You get out to take care of insurance info, and the person in the other car comes out enraged with a bat.

You are carrying your typical EDC gear, just like any other day.

What do you do?

I have never been in an at fault accident, just saw an almost rear ending today and it made me think...

Drive away. /endthread

If you get back in your car quickly, the worst he's going to do is put a few more dents in it before you drive away. If you're going around rear ending people your car is probably already dented up anyway.

if you have another way to escape without killing someone, that's your best option 99% of the time.

Most states it is a felony offense to leave the scene of a accident: State Laws regarding hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident .

Imo you need to stand your ground on this one. If he tries to run, get his license plate then thank God. But either way, a good lawyer can make you look like a belligerent aggressor.

Anyhow, kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Excellent example of why you should give people plenty of space on the road. When in doubt, slow the F down.
    Crime should be outlawed.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    If I am in an accident,if possible,the FIRST thing I do is call 911. If someone is trying to attack,at least you will be on the phone where words are recorded.

Most times in that type of accident they will fall out of the car and claim back and neck injuries. You will be sued for everything you and your insurance company have.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post
    Most states it is a felony offense to leave the scene of a accident: State Laws regarding hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident .

Imo you need to stand your ground on this one. If he tries to run, get his license plate then thank God. But either way, a good lawyer can make you look like a belligerent aggressor.

Anyhow, kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Excellent example of why you should give people plenty of space on the road. When in doubt, slow the F down.
    Have to disagree with you on that. While it is a considered a felony to leave the scene of an accident, in the circumstances of leaving the scene and calling police from a safe location, or shooting someone over road rage, leaving the scene is the better option.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Leave, calling 911. If they dont have a gun, remove myself only far enough out of reach. (If they dont run after you with bat, go a few more yds and stop. Repeat as necessary.).

When questioned about leaving scene, make sure they know that they other person was armed and threatening...and that you remained available to police.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Fender bender, eh? Wow! Does that sound like a recent idea...

When the guy gets out of the car with a bat, I back up...a loooong way back and call 911, I could hopefully take a pic with the driver holding the bat...that could be useful.

I'm armed, he has a bat? I like those odds, but I'm still not sticking around to play ball.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

When the guy gets out of the car with a bat, I back up...a loooong way back and call 911, I could hopefully take a pic with the driver holding the bat...that could be useful.

I'm armed, he has a bat? I like those odds, but I'm still not sticking around to play ball.
    I know. I always hope that pointing a camera phone at them, and then their license plate, will jolt some sense into them. It's also part of my plan, after calling 911, altho they'll probably keep me on the line....so I'll fake it for their benefit if that's all I can do.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Again, words of wisdom from the man from Florida with the big dog and a glock!

Yep, I'm gonna do my level best to avoid shooting someone if at all possible. Especially in a road rage incident over a fender bender.

I have a gun, so I know I have the better odds, especially against a baseball bat, so if I can avoid proving it, I'm going to.

Like retsupt99, I'm not necessarily going to flee the scene completely... But if I can back up and place enough distance between us so I can respond with a less than lethal option, I'm gonna do that. Likewise, a cell phone camera can be just the ticket in that situation to show some raving lunatic waving a bat around is gonna help no matter what.

I feel, if you are ready for a confrontation, then you have many other options beyond fleeing the scene completely and standing your ground and shooting the idiot.

Remember, you are armed... you know it, he doesn't. So, he shouldn't be able to get the upper hand, but it doesn't mean you have to shoot him just because he is setting himself up by bringing a bat to a gunfight.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Coming from my mom who takes these calls all day at the PD. Drive away to a safe location while calling 911. We have had folks intentionally hit cars, then rob them. Had pedestrians hit, then all their friends jump the driver and nearly killed them. Her advice was to call 911 and tell them to meet you somewhere. It's easier to explain why you left than why the perp has holes in them and is bleeding profusely.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    My son had an experience in an auto accident that went like this.

He was driving and a car unexpectently pulled out right in front of him, he was about to t-bone the car and in that instant, could easily see a young lady in the passenger side sitting there unaware that she was about to take a serious hit from his truck on her side.

Traffic was on either side of him and my son swerved in the last minute, to avoid the t-bone and hoped he could squeeze his way through the side traffic with less damage and injuries. He nearly made it with only knocking a mirror off of another car and scraping one, but he wound up hitting the rear end of a pickup truck fairly hard. After the collision, he jumped out of his truck and went to the other truck to check out the welfare of the driver, who wasn't moving. The driver was slumped over and not really responding. My son got on his cell phone and called the medical facility that he manages and got some nurses headed to the scene, others were calling 911. In the meantime he was concerned about the dazed driver and also noticed a handgun laying on the passenger side floorboard, apparently dislodged during the accident.

My son was concerned the disoriented driver might grab the handgun and start attacking whatever he thought had attacked him in his daze. My son didn't touch the gun, but remained diligent, in position, and ready to prevent the driver from grabbing it, if the driver had those intentions. Nothing threatening occurred, the driver regained from his hit and was okay.

BTW the young girls in the car that was about to be t-boned, left the scene before the police arrived. No serious injuries at all, only minor vehicle damages. No citations issued, no lawsuits filed. The girls were never found.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Coming from my mom who takes these calls all day at the PD. Drive away to a safe location while calling 911. We have had folks intentionally hit cars, then rob them. Had pedestrians hit, then all their friends jump the driver and nearly killed them. Her advice was to call 911 and tell them to meet you somewhere. It's easier to explain why you left than why the perp has holes in them and is bleeding profusely.
    i do like that idea better.

if i can think at the time of the accident i wouldnt drive too far, just far enough not to get attacked, but close enough to make sure hes not gonan drive off.

reminds me of a recent problem that happend,

Trucker charged with attempted murder in I-95 road-rage case - washingtonpost.com

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    You get out to take care of insurance info, and the person in the other car comes out enraged with a bat.
    I see no purpose in carrying a firearm if I am going to flee for my life when somebody breaks out a baseball bat and plans on introducing deadly force to the equation. That was his choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links