Flash Mobs Turning Violent

This is a discussion on Flash Mobs Turning Violent within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by edr9x23super Target the leaders first if you can; the rest will run...... This is a good enough reason to carry lots of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flash Mobs Turning Violent

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Target the leaders first if you can; the rest will run......

This is a good enough reason to carry lots of ammo.

My carry .45 is 15+1, and I carry 1 or 2 extra mags. That's a lot of bang bang.

Although the legal aftermath would be a friggin' nightmare. Much better to run if you can.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

2. Remove Ads

From the second link in the original post;

"The police arrested 15 of the teenagers and, according to one report, some had not been allowed to call their parents six hours after they were detained. "

Awww, the poor delinquents were not allowed to call mommy to come bail them out for 6 hours, and I bet the mean old police actually took away there ipods and cell phones too. This is just a travesty! Surely the ACLU plans on filing lawsuits because their first and eight ammendment rights were violated!

My response would be to get the heck out of Dodge as quick as possible. I'll get me and mine to my Jeep and go from there. If deadly force was ever warranted I'd be moving steadily (backing up) towards the nearest safe direction, weapon drawn and making it very clear with my voice that anyone who comes too close is going to be taking fire.

Obviously this type of situation is very dynamic and can change in a split second, but I think if deadly force becomes warranted you just have to mentally draw a circle around you and your group, and anyone who enters maliciously goes down.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member

re: kccad

Quote Originally Posted by kccad View Post
    I hope he came out unharmed.
    Thanks-- he was not bothered. His situational awareness stank though.

We have had two of these turn violent in or near me in the last several weeks. The first was at out local zoo. A lot of the youth were out for Spring Break and the zoo also had a "free" day that same week. Lots of people, small area, and local gang affiliations turned to shots ringing out. The second was at a very nice mall very near my house. A flash mob assembled there to see a fist fight between a few local youths. LE had been alerted to this beforehand and got it under control very quickly. More and more, around here anyway, these flash mobs are not out to make a spectacle of themselves, but are actually out to cause trouble or at least be witness to violence.

VIP Member
    A scenerio like this is what nightmares are made of, I can't even fathom what the best course of action would be other than trying to run and avoid having to shoot my way out, but like retsupt99 said, no winners in this one.

Update with a little more info on what happened Sat night at the Plaza in KC...

A fight in a parking lot left a 16-year-old boy with a broken jaw and serious head injuries.

More than a dozen youths pummeled and robbed a Grandview couple as they walked down a sidewalk, stealing his glasses and her purse.

A group of youths shoved a high school girl dressed for prom into a fountain on a restaurant patio without provocation.

These were among the events reported Saturday night when hundreds of what police called “unruly” youths gathered at the Country Club Plaza. The gathering spiraled out of control, police said, and officers emptied several fire extinguisher-sized pepper spray canisters and more than a dozen hand-held canisters to break up the crowd.

Police today released additional details about the incident, which drove paying customers away in a “mass exit” about 10 p.m. Police officials said they were forming a detailed plan to deal with possible crowds this weekend.

Police said they had noticed a growing population of youths loitering on the Plaza in recent weeks, as the weather has improved and after the Plaza movie theater’s decision to lower its age requirement. Last week, police said they learned youths were using social media Web sites to organize and encourage friends to gather Saturday night.
    The department sent 21 additional officers to the Plaza about 6 p.m. Saturday to break up any gatherings of youths before they got too big. But as the night went on, the crowd of youths swelled to as many as 900 at 9 p.m. Police said some in the crowd were as young as 11 years old. Police were quickly outnumbered.

Fights broke out, youths ran down the streets, and groups blocked entrances and exits to businesses, police said. A 16-year-old girl suffered abrasions when she was run over by one group.

At Pennsylvania Avenue and Nichols Road, the Grandview couple, in their 20s, said a group of 15 young males accosted them and knocked a cup of coffee from the woman’s hand. The juveniles hit the woman, knocking her to the ground. They stole her purse and kicked and punched the man until the woman threw herself on top of his body to protect him. The man suffered minor cuts and swelling, police said.

People could not walk down the sidewalk and traffic could not flow because of the crowds. The horse carriage ride that operates on the Plaza had to shut down.

Police arrested a 15-year-old boy after he lifted up his shirt and showed what appeared to be a gun to various teenagers across the street with whom he was arguing. Police recovered a toy gun from the boy’s waistband.

Some youths grabbed flowers and flower pots and damaged the greenery, police said.

Police said the problems were especially bad near the Classic Cup, where officers responded to numerous large disturbances, and at P.F. Chang’s, where police had to clear juveniles from gathering in the restrooms. Police found a knife on the ground in the middle of one disturbance.

More than two dozen additional police officers showed up and helped disperse the juveniles, many of whom then migrated east toward Mill Creek Park and the Winstead’s restaurant.

Police said a large fight broke out in the Winstead’s parking lot and officers found a teen lying on the asphalt with a large bruise on his head. He could barely speak. He was only able to utter his name and the street he lived on.

The restaurant closed early.

Police officials said they had a hard time catching up with the troublesome juveniles because of the size of the crowds.

Most of the problems occurred before the city’s youth curfew of midnight, but police did arrest six juveniles for staying out after curfew.

In addition to the crimes that police observed, they received about 35 calls for help, mostly for disturbances and fighting.

Read more: Police sort through Saturday night problems on, near Plaza - KansasCity.com

NOTE: I saw on the news tonight that the theater in the area says that the age restriction was lifted over a year ago without any problems until the last couple of weekends.

I have been reading some of the comments on the KC Star website and this one in particular caught my attention. This is part of the comment....

andreas_kc wrote on 4/12/2010 10:52:25 AM:

"I was there late Saturday (8:30-10:30) to have dinner at the Classic Cup with my wife.

The crowd outside the restaurant was large and all unruly. I endured over an hour of listening to black hoodlums trading insults toward one another. Mostly of the sort of how they have a bullet back home with your name on it. According to our waitress this has happened for three weeks in a row now.

The police unloaded pepper spray on the entire crowd and that included us sitting outside at the sidewalk tables at the Classic Cup. There was no place to go; the inside of the restaurant just trapped the spray. Our walk back to the car was NOT safe, with kids still insulting one another, crowding sidewalks, pushing others around and kids messing with cars in the parking lot. Next time I am down there, I will be armed."

Police sort through Saturday night problems on, near Plaza - KansasCity.com

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Yes, it can happen but I'm not too worried about a flash mob where I live.
    Yea, same here. It would be terrible if half of the 40-50 people in the nearest town to me did this. Small place.

And considering half of the people in town are 60+ years old. That knocks the probable available number down to 20-25, lets say 25. And of the 25 left, probably 15 of them are too drunk to stand at any given time. 5 of them are glued to the TV, so there are ten left. Three of them are sitting at the gas station drinking coffee and talking about tractors. That leaves two people, and even if 50% of the available population (an outrageous percentage) were "flash mobbers" one person is not much of a threat.

I would be out of there. If anything got violent, it looks like a disparity of force to me!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by lands5 View Post
    Yea, same here. It would be terrible if half of the 40-50 people in the nearest town to me did this. Small place.

And considering half of the people in town are 60+ years old. That knocks the probable available number down to 20-25, lets say 25. And of the 25 left, probably 15 of them are too drunk to stand at any given time. 5 of them are glued to the TV, so there are ten left. Three of them are sitting at the gas station drinking coffee and talking about tractors. That leaves two people, and even if 50% of the available population (an outrageous percentage) were "flash mobbers" one person is not much of a threat.

I can just imagine streets taken over by scooters...

YouTube - Old People Racing

Quote Originally Posted by kccad View Post

I can just imagine streets taken over by scooters...

YouTube - Old People Racing
    That is great! And from a fire/EMS point of view, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

Anarchy, for the sheer "joy" of it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

AzB
    This is a societal problem, and it's been brewing for a while. Violence is admired, truth and loyalty are meaningless.

It's been coming for the last 20 years and everyone is turning a blind eye, or running away.

At some point you have to stand up to it.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

When Hoodlums feel that they aren't seen or known because they're outsiders in a community and/or just another face in a large crowd, they become completely unrestrained by societies' rules and end up going feral in short order. Same thing that happens in Europe's cities every couple few years during the G8 summit. Like in Europe, the thugs in KC believe that there will be little to no repercussion as a result of participating in the mob and frightening/assaulting people for kicks. Start throwing lead down range in their vicinity and see how quickly these punks will snap out of the spell and start breaking north.

If anything like this ever happens in my AO, I'll be going for the Suchka as the PDW and staying inside when possible. Given the news report, maybe a Scott M98 would also be good to have on stand-by? Avoidance of situations that may require lethal force is most desirable and all but none of us can predict when danger will blow our way, as this story illustrates. Folks in the affected area of KC must still be in orange. I'd be for a while after such a crazy ruckus.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links