Flash Mobs Turning Violent

This is a discussion on Flash Mobs Turning Violent within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Moga Freaknik, Braves, Dogwood Festival, AND road construction on 75/85 this weekend. Worse, after ATL denied a permit for Freaknik, the sponsor ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flash Mobs Turning Violent

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Freaknik, Braves, Dogwood Festival, AND road construction on 75/85 this weekend. Worse, after ATL denied a permit for Freaknik, the sponsor announced that he would arrange a "car-cade" from S ATL. He plans on getting the "word" out by passing out 40k flyers. No word on the destination of that car-cade but it doesn't matter. With so many people and so little throughput on the roads, it's going to fray tempers, which will likely play right into the Freaknik mentality. I wouldn't be surprised if a series of melees jump off.
    Rumor I heard was that Arbor Place Mall in Douglasville was going to be a potential meeting point. I am about 15 west of that area.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

i'm 15 east - they are blocking my access to my favorite outdoor range.

and I-20 is going to be a pain to deal with if that's the case.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

So...where's the parents in all this?

They don't need the police to deal with these mobs - they need the fire department. Nothing like cold water at high pressure to break up a crowd...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

They don't need the police to deal with these mobs - they need the fire department. Nothing like cold water at high pressure to break up a crowd...
    great idea........... i sure would LOVE to be the one doing water spraying........
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

In the Kansas City incident, it has been reported that many of the hooligan's were having their parents drop them off down on the Plaza. Others came by the Metro Bus, and a lot probably car pooled or drove themselves.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In the Kansas City incident, it has been reported that many of the hooligan's were having their parents drop them off down on the Plaza.
    Parenting. Ain't what it used to be.

Neither is holding folks responsible. That also ain't what it used to be. Driving your kids to a riot seems, and I'm just spit ballin' here, to be along the lines of contributory negligence to hooliganism, at minimum. Gads, I'll bet half didn't know why the kids were asking to be driven, and I'll bet it didn't even occur to the other half to ask.

2010. Is it over yet?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Parenting. Ain't what it used to be.

Neither is holding folks responsible. That also ain't what it used to be. Driving your kids to a riot seems, and I'm just spit ballin' here, to be along the lines of contributory negligence to hooliganism, at minimum. Gads, I'll bet half didn't know why the kids were asking to be driven, and I'll bet it didn't even occur to the other half to ask.

2010. Is it over yet?
    I wouldn't wish for it. This ain't a fairytale. Things only get worse each year.

Definitely agreed on the responsibility and parenting.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Stupid People

This was reported on a local website about a couple that were on the plaza when the riot took place:

BUT IN WHAT PERFECT WORLD CAN A DUDE ON A DATE ANGRILY APPROACH A GROUP OF TEENS AND ASK FOR A COFFEE REFILL WITHOUT FACING REPRISAL OF SOME SORT?!?!?

Here's the sitch: As they ran past, the teens knocked the cups out of their hands on purpose, said the man, who asked that he be identified only by his first name, Robert, because he feared retaliation. He spoke publicly for the first time Wednesday.

One youth even hit his fiancée in the face, he said.

Robert’s fiancée was angry. She prodded him into following the youths to ask them to buy her a replacement coffee.

“I tried to talk her out of it,” he said. “But she insisted.”

They approached the group and told them what they had done was “disrespectful.”

“You need to get me another cup of coffee,” the fiancée told the teens.

Instead, they closed in around them, Robert said. He said they threatened to steal her purse and started hitting her. One teen punched Robert in the face, knocking his glasses off his face and his body to the ground. Eight to 10 teens surrounded him, kicking and punching him, until his fiancée threw her body on top of him.

“She let go of her purse and jumped on me to protect me,” he said. “It was crazy.”

First of all, it' CLEAR like that guy REALLY needs to reconsider getting married to a broad who would encourage him to confront a group of strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    This was reported on a local website about a couple that were on the plaza when the riot took place:

BUT IN WHAT PERFECT WORLD CAN A DUDE ON A DATE ANGRILY APPROACH A GROUP OF TEENS AND ASK FOR A COFFEE REFILL WITHOUT FACING REPRISAL OF SOME SORT?!?!?

Here's the sitch: As they ran past, the teens knocked the cups out of their hands on purpose, said the man, who asked that he be identified only by his first name, Robert, because he feared retaliation. He spoke publicly for the first time Wednesday.

One youth even hit his fiancée in the face, he said.

Robert’s fiancée was angry. She prodded him into following the youths to ask them to buy her a replacement coffee.

“I tried to talk her out of it,” he said. “But she insisted.”

They approached the group and told them what they had done was “disrespectful.”

“You need to get me another cup of coffee,” the fiancée told the teens.

Instead, they closed in around them, Robert said. He said they threatened to steal her purse and started hitting her. One teen punched Robert in the face, knocking his glasses off his face and his body to the ground. Eight to 10 teens surrounded him, kicking and punching him, until his fiancée threw her body on top of him.

“She let go of her purse and jumped on me to protect me,” he said. “It was crazy.”

First of all, it' CLEAR like that guy REALLY needs to reconsider getting married to a broad who would encourage him to confront a group of strangers.
    Not that I condone what these punks did to him and his fiance because I don't.....but ya, I was wondering just what the hell they were thinking as well. It sounds like he tried to talk her out of it but she insisted in confronting them. When reading that, I envisioned her marching angrily towards them while he was following her trying to convince her to let it go and then once she confronted them, he got stuck in the middle. She's probably used to confronting people at work or in her little bubble of life without violent consequences. Her suburban reality met urban reality and the result wasn't pretty. I would reconsider marrying her as well, especially if he ever decided to carry a firearm. She could involve him in a self-defense situation that a jury might find was avoidable had they not been a part of escalating the confrontation.

Freaknik is, theoretically, banned in Atlanta, according to the Mayor, Kassim something or other. He even claims he'll sue organizers.
    Somehow, I don't buy it.

As for the 'flash mob' scenario. I would go for one of the following.
    1) Get inside. If it's a large building, you're way better off than being inside. Especially if it's a mall with some hardcore mall security.
    2) GTFO. Whether out means out of town, out of the state, whatever, I'd be heading away.

Of course, I've been keeping extra handgun mags in my car of late (Cincinnati has a history of 'flash mob' riots by the black community downtown). Obviously, even with 80 rounds extra of .45ACP, you're not going to take on a whole mob, but you can use those to clear any 'roablocks' of rioters you may encounter.

I'd also not be too worried with legality, honestly. How many people get away with ridiculous **** in riots? Think of it like a rock concert; how many times have you seen a girl in a mosh pit go crowd surfing and get groped on the way to the stage? That dude who groped her? Never gonna get caught.

About 15 yrs ago, a friend's son was on a double date. They walked out of a restuarant in a good area. When walking to their car, 3 younger men approach them and start calling the girls names, threatening them, etc. Then, suddenly 20 + other youth come out of hiding and commenced to beat them.

Both were very near death after the beating and it was touch and go for a month as to whether they would live. Then he required several surgeries; reconstructive surgery, one's to install pins and plates among the numerous broken bones, etc. He never recovered full use and strength in his arms.

Don't laugh it off or think it's harmless. A mob will go much further normally than any individual ever would and anymore the likelihood some may have guns, is probable.

Don't laugh it off or think it's harmless. A mob will go much further normally than any individual ever would and anymore the likelihood some may have guns, is probable.
    Seems like adrenaline pumps longer the more people you have.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links