Flash Mobs Turning Violent

This is a discussion on Flash Mobs Turning Violent within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think we all agree that the best self-defense scenario is one where you don't have to use your firearm. We do the best we ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flash Mobs Turning Violent

Flash Mobs Turning Violent

I think we all agree that the best self-defense scenario is one where you don't have to use your firearm. We do the best we can to avoid dangerous situations, areas known for violence, ect. Enter the "flash mob". What started out as "a social experiment designed to poke fun at hipsters"....Flash mob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...has now turned into a self-defense nightmare. Imagine sitting outside at a nice restaurant in a relatively safe neighborhood when hundreds of youths suddenly show up and start acting unruly. They surround you and your date/spouse hurling insults or committing acts of violence towards you. Perhaps you are just walking down the sidewalk, or showing up for work. Suddenly you are surrounded and a target.

Police use pepper spray to break up Country Club Plaza crowds - KansasCity.com

Flash Mobs Take Violent Turn in Philadelphia - NYTimes.com

While some of us may up our SA on Friday and Saturday nights (being the "party nights") or in certain neighborhoods, I'm concerned that this latest trend will creep beyond this and we may find ourselves in one of these situations at any given time and place, especially during the Summer months. These mobs stretch police resources thin, cause confusion, and make it possible to commit acts of violence and crime with little chance of getting caught. Enter a CC permit holder or police officers forced to defend themselves with lethal force and now you are much closer to an all out riot.

Even though we take the time to avoid the bad neighborhoods, late night outings, bad situations, ect, it would seem that might not be enough. If the youth mob decides to target your neighborhood, you may be hip deep in it before you realize what's going on.

Take for instance, this weekend's incident at The Plaza in Kansas City. Honestly, this area has had its fair share of crime in the last 20 years or so, but it's still considered a reasonably safe area in the public eye. The police had been aware of the increasing youth crowds in the recent weeks, so they beefed up their presence in the area. Even with that, these mobs weren't deterred.

This trend, my Second Amendment friends, really disturbs me and really brings home that you have to rely on yourself for protection. Here's hoping none of us end up the test case for such a nightmare.

2. Remove Ads

This is why I'm glad I live in Maine. I'm not saying it can't happen in the little city I live in but the chances of it happening are very slim. Public transportation stops running at a certain hour where I live so getting a very large group of people together would take a lot of transportation or they would all have to walk downtown and that large of a group would get noticed very quickly before they ever reached downtown.

Yes, it can happen but I'm not too worried about a flash mob where I live.

most (i realize there is a percentage of anything that is aimed at being a pain in the ass) flashmobs are just a bunch of theater geeks (I grew up running sound and lighting so I can safely use this term) that are looking to have fun and make fools of themselves. Odds are they will just make you laugh, but with any outing assess the situation and LEAVE when you see trouble. In my humble opinion it's not worth staying somewhere if there is chance of confrontation. You have the right to leave just as much as they have the right to assemble in a public place. You also have the right to stay and push the issue as long as you are sure that you are on the legal side of the spectrum. It all depends on your willingness to invest time in a potential altercation.

That said if you try to leave or defuse the situation and you feel physically threatened then you are well within your rights to protect yourself.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    Odds are they will just make you laugh.
    I think things are changing

But these so-called flash mobs have taken a more aggressive and raucous turn here as hundreds of teenagers have been converging downtown for a ritual that is part bullying, part running of the bulls: sprinting down the block, the teenagers sometimes pause to brawl with one another, assault pedestrians or vandalize property.

Hopefully we can avoid anything like this with SA, leave before things get out of hand. Having said this, if that is not possible and the crowd is unruly to the point of threatening me or mine, I will use lethal force to protect my group. Also, once the shooting starts, I will empty my weapon so that it can not be used against me when it comes down to hand to hand. Hopefully after you drop about 9 +1 the rest will scatter.

VIP Member
    My son lives in Philadelphia and walked across South Street while the crowd was gathering without realizing what was going on, or about to go on.

We are talking about violent youth mobs, not theater goers.

I doubt pepper (except in the giant economy 2 gallon can size) or a fire arm will help much. These situations are just too out of control when they happen and need massive police response and riot gear and riot control strategies. The lone ordinary citizen who walks into one is in deep doo.

I think the Phila. police have gotten a handle on the activity and put it away, but don't know that for certain.

Eyewitness account..."There were probably between 500-600 young kids all moving this way...."

Plaza Brawls Caught On Camera - Video - KMBC Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My son lives in Philadelphia and walked across South Street while the crowd was gathering without realizing what was going on, or about to go on.

We are talking about violent youth mobs, not theater goers.

I doubt pepper (except in the giant economy 2 gallon can size) or a fire arm will help much. These situations are just too out of control when they happen and need massive police response and riot gear and riot control strategies. The lone ordinary citizen who walks into one is in deep doo.

I think the Phila. police have gotten a handle on the activity and put it away, but don't know that for certain.
    I hope he came out unharmed.

This would be a very bad situation to run into...no winners here.

I couldn't even speculate about the right thing to do.

I'm glad I live in a small town, rural area...I only have to worry about the small groups and individual dirtbags and thugs.
    I avoid bad places and 'evening times' as much as possible.

Perhaps the police need to get tough...real tough! Too bad those in charge won't let that happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This would be a very bad situation to run into...no winners here.

I couldn't even speculate about the right thing to do.

I'm glad I live in a small town, rural area...I only have to worry about the small groups and individual dirtbags and thugs.
    I avoid bad places and 'evening times' as much as possible.

Perhaps the police need to get tough...real tough! Too bad those in charge won't let that happen.
    Agreed. With PC guiding their every decision coupled with budget cuts, it would seem we are pretty much on our own.

Well I live in a rural are to hopefully avoid that kind of crap. But since I go to Kansas City (home town) and St. Louis several times a year I suppose I could get caught up in one during any given trip. When in those towns, I usually eat out at a nice restaurant in places like "The Plaza" where the incident in Kansas City happened, so it might get interesting.

I'm no stranger to being in crowds so people doing strange harmless stuff isn't going to bother me except keeping me in condition orange, but if a flash mob want's to commit criminal behavior, it could get ugly.

Best bet is to extricate yourself from entire area as quickly as possible and deal with any physical threats as they are presented.

One thing you could do is duck into a nearby business if one is open at the time just to get off the street and out of the mass disruption happening on the street. Business owners then could maybe lock the doors if they feel it is appropriate and of course call 911.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

On a personal note I would make every effort to get away, duck into a store front, into an apartment entryway, so forth. I have also begun carrying pepper spary, and even though it would not be very effective against a large crowd, it might give me enough space to make an escape.

I am tempted to say W.S. but will not, maybe somebody else will first.

This sounds a lot like the college/youth mobs that have been starting up lately when their local basketball/football/soccer/whatever team has lost that night. Has gotten fairly nasty in MD a few times now with repeated incidents at College Park over the last few years ranging from random fights between the mob, cars completely flipped over and set ablaze, to storefronts being smashed and folks caught in the middle attacked. They literally take over route 1.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I like the way the media avoids the real issue by saying "teens."

Target the leaders first if you can; the rest will run......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links