Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn. - Page 3

Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn.

This is a discussion on Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure where you guys are getting two videos, I only have the one. In the one I view there's no visible badge, and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting two videos, I only have the one.

In the one I view there's no visible badge, and he doesn't identify himself until he's touching the bike. While the officer may have been in the right, he certainly put himself in a dangerous situation if that had been me. I don't care what direction you're pointing a gun, if you're commanding me to get out of a vehicle with a gun in hand I'm assuming you're up to no good. The fact that said cop would have identified himself 5 seconds after I shot him is of little use to him.

Though I do agree with most of you, the biker was probably acting like a dipshit. But taking the OP's original question at face value, there would have been a EMT on scene shortly there after.

IF you were driving according to the state road laws, a car cuts you off and traps you and the man in the car gets out with a gun in hand....how else would you assume this scenario would play out? I think the plain clothes cop should be forced to go through some sort of recertification/training program dealing with traffic stops. And I'm sorry, I don't care how many seconds it takes to unclip your badge from your uniform. If you're going to be policing off duty you NEED to have a badge. If I don't see a badge or some sort of identification that makes it immediately clear that you are a LEO I am treating you like a potential hostile.

Le Chuck,

The second video is at the bottom of the page as per instruction from the OP to scroll down.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Le Chuck,

The second video is at the bottom of the page as per instruction from the OP to scroll down.

- Janq
    I guess reading would have helped. I thought he meant the bottom of his post, considering the link was at the bottom I thought the OP was just being redundant.

I still stand by my original point though. The Biker was acting off (and showing some really poor bike handling skills, who takes their hands off at 100mph while hitting bumps) and deserved to be pulled over. But the plain clothes cop still acted improperly in my opinion. No need to put himself in that situation when there's two marked cars behind him (second video seems to show two marked cop cars behind him).

Also, I find the whole "can not tape someone without their consent" law to be a bit over the top. By that logic I could not use home security cameras to prosecute a thief unless I had "This home is under video surveillance" plastered all over my lawn, walls, etc.

Give the biker a hefty ticket, make sure the off duty cop handles himself better in the future, and rewrite that stupid law to only take into account things like on your own private property, if your naked, on the toilet, etc. etc.

Also, I know it doesn't matter...but around here (I'm not far from MD) speeding like that isn't uncommon. I have never seen a traffic stop do down like that before, and I've seen people get pulled over for going far faster. I'm not condoning his actions, but his reckless actions aren't the least bit surprising. Maybe because I didn't grow up down here, but people in the NOVA/MD region can't drive for ****.

Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post
    He immediately opens his car door, and aggressively approaches you.
    From two cars away, this is an assumption until it's fact. If it becomes fact, taking appropriate steps to avoid damage and to erase the threat becomes the most important thing at that moment.

At the moment of first seeing someone else with a drawn weapon, it's by no means clear this person is good, bad or ugly. It's also unclear I'm a target or being threatened, from two cars away. Since the person is only ~15yds away, I'll know soon enough.

At such a stage, there's little else that can be done. Of course, if I'm armed, preparing to draw in the next few moments seems absolutely prudent. If unarmed, being ready to attempt disarming the attacker seems prudent, if it turns out I'm the target. As I'm boxed-in, in traffic, there isn't much to be done with the vehicle if it turns out I'm the target.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm sorry folks, speak anything you want, but with that unit behind him and in plain view, it's evident that him coming out of his car with his weapon that he's with the Officer behind you and your not going to do nothing but comply in this scenario.

P.S. That type of riding makes all of us riders look bad.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Most departments do not issue two badges to use off duty plus the one for the uniform. I know a lot of LEO's who do not transfer their badge to their wallet every time they go off duty. If they are going to wear the same uniform shirt for more than one shift, they keep all their brass on the uniform and likewise, changing uniforms as often as they do, they simply keep all their collar brass and badge sitting on their dresser at home and place it on a clean shirt when they get ready for work. (It's a big enough pain in the butt to transfer all your collar brass and badge to a clean uniform every time they go to work, let alone take the time to put it in a wallet every time they go off the clock.) (Just my assumptions here)
    I don't know about that state but in Florida we can buy extra badges. My wallet badge however doesn't have my badge number on it. It just says "FL" where the number would be. Otherwise it is the same as the badge I use officially. (The back part is different so it fits better in the wallet) I do of course have my work id and firearms qual card right next to it.

Of course I have the CCW as well so I have all the bases covered.

man, that cop was stupid, im sorry. no badge out , and the first thing out of his mouth was not state police. if that biker would have been armed, i think the cop would have been shot, UNLESS he saw the marked car in his side mirror...and or heard the sirens...i donno..wasnt there, but from the video looks like the plain clothes cop would have gotten hurt if he was carrying...thank goodness he wasnt, could have turned out bad...

I ride a Supermoto, and do dumb stuff. People tell me at my age (50) I should know better. I am recovering from an injury right now, but it has not slowed me down one bit. Yes it was a bike lay down. I was back on the bike the next day, with crutches. I always carry when I ride, and that officer would have been shot. I don't care what that guy did on the bike, you don't pull on people for no reason. You give him his ticket, and tell him to have a nice day.

I ride a "Crotch Rocket" and normally always wear a leather jacket with gloves so I envision it would be very difficult to pull a gun out at any time so I probably would just stay put and see what he wants because if you pull a gun he will get the drop on you and if you try to run him over you better have a kevlar helmet on! The only option is to take off the second he exits the car.

For the record you are taught on a motorcycle to always ride a little faster in traffic so you never get in a blindspot but I do not ride like a crazy man. I ride the bike back and forth to work since it gets approx. 50mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post
    You're on a motorcycle exiting a busy interstate. As you slow down for the stopped vehicles ahead of you, a car behind you passes you on the right and places his car between you and the car in front of you.

He immediately opens his car door, and aggressively approaches you. The man is wearing jeans and a light sweater. He has a gun in his hand.

What do you do?

After you answer, watch this (full video on the bottom of the page).

answering the original post... 99% of people on a bike are at a disadvantage by the fact of... close quarters surprise of aggression... and the sight of a GUN IN HAND of the aggressor. People are just not that ready, and the brian can not register with the eyes are seeing fast enough to react at such a close distance.

Pulling a gun without a display of a badge/ID against and unarmed person is against most if not all departments, i would believe. This officer let his EMOTIONS over come his TACTICS, all the officer had to do is take the plate down and call for back-up, and/or... then issue a summons via mail and let it run its course.

All you hot shots out there... bike/car... your plate has all your info, remember that, because you got away with something at that moment doesn't mean you can't get tracked down and be eye-balled for later offensive, especially if your from the area, trust me i know and its been done.

The cop did a stupid thing, it just isn't worth it. I tell people in training for conceal carry, DO NOT... DO NOT let your emotions dictate your STRATEGY or TACTICS.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb231 View Post
    you can see the cops badge on his belt by his holster.
    Why would you be looking there?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    This such a stupid video to try to use for anything other than to document a moron in action.

It doesn't matter whether the plain clothed office was on duty or off duty. He is a cop. He does not know who the moron is on the bike. Any office that would approach said moron without being ready for anything needs retraining.

The officer never points his weapon at the moron. The officer is simply taking appropriate action to insure his safety an quickly reholsters his weapon. The moron clearly is not concerned about anyone's safety including his own.

The officer was a moron also.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Why would you be looking there?
    I agree, someone approaching you aggressively with a CANNON IN HIS/HER hand, your attention and focus is on the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Biker shouldnt have been endangering people on the road like that and the officer didnt need to draw his weapon.
    I don't see a problem with the LEO drawing the gun. He never pointed it at the man but the man on the motorcycle began to back up the bike immediately. It looked to me like he was fixing to try to leave. I ride a bike. I carry while I ride. I try not to make a fool of myself or others while riding.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links