Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn. - Page 5

Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn.

This is a discussion on Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This cop should have put on a badge and/or something that says "POLICE" in big letters. Even a hat would help. He didn't identify himself ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn.

This cop should have put on a badge and/or something that says "POLICE" in big letters. Even a hat would help. He didn't identify himself until after he pulled a gun. In fact he still didn't produce a badge or any other ID. He could have easily gotten himself shot. I don't see a reason for pulling his gun in this video, he sure put in away in a hurry. So he didn't seem that threatened. Next time flash your badge, not your gun! His car doesn't even have warning lights. He parked it on the road with no way to warn other traffic. So he is just as dangerous as anything the biker did wrong! I see no reason to believe he is a cop. He has done everything wrong according to protocol! He probably doesn't want this video released because it makes him look like he has zero training.

VIP Member
    romansten9 does the fact that there is a uniformed trooper in a marked patrol car behind the rider not mean anything. The rider apparently fled from the police. Depending on state laws and what he did it could be considered a felony.
    Yes the officer needed to be screaming "State Police" but would it also not be obvious to the rider that the police wanted you to stop.
    Once the trooper sees that he will not need the gun, after evaluating the threat, he puts it away. I am not sure but sure looks like a MSP unmarked car to me that he gets out of.
    Last but not least please quote me the MSP protocol that was violated in regards to the officers activity and again it is just me, in the State of Maryland it is illegal to video or record someone without their consent could it be they are following the criminal code?
    Just my opinion.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    romansten9 does the fact that there is a uniformed trooper in a marked patrol car behind the rider not mean anything. The rider apparently fled from the police. Depending on state laws and what he did it could be considered a felony.
    Yes the officer needed to be screaming "State Police" but would it also not be obvious to the rider that the police wanted you to stop.
    Once the trooper sees that he will not need the gun, after evaluating the threat, he puts it away. I am not sure but sure looks like a MSP unmarked car to me that he gets out of.
    Last but not least please quote me the MSP protocol that was violated in regards to the officers activity and again it is just me, in the State of Maryland it is illegal to video or record someone without their consent could it be they are following the criminal code?
    Just my opinion.
    In my response to this incident, I am coming from the perspective of over 20 years experience with emergency vehicles as a Paramedic and law enforcement experience. Today's technology allows "unmarked" emergency vehicles to still display warning lights and even sirens (which are totally hidden on visors, in rear windows or inside of taillight lens, etc) Many are very portable and in-expensive. EACH vehicle needs to display its own warning system. The other car may not be seen, or may even be called off to another emergency at any time. In the same way, EACH officer must display "POLICE" or a badge. An officer cannot rely on another officer "in the area" that is identifiable. Some people are hearing impaired, (and especially people wearing helmets) may not hear someone verbally saying the word "police" Besides, this officer drew his gun BEFORE saying "state police" If he thought there was a threat, he should have never parked where he did and exit his vehicle the way he did! All wrong! His best bet may have been to let the officer behind him perform the arrest. Just about everything he did gives law enforcement a bad name and is embarrassing. The fact that the motorcyclist broke the law has NOTHING to do with law enforcement not doing their job. Just because they had a reason to pull him over does not mean that they can act irresponsible themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb231 View Post
    you can see the cops badge on his belt by his holster.
    You can't see the badge until about 13 seconds into the video and even then its not a clear ID. He parked in a very bad spot if he felt threatened. He could have easily been run over or shot. Very bad move on his part. He also needs to buy a baseball cap with "police" in big letters or have a detachable velcro "police" patch to attach to his jacket. They make flip down patches for uncover officers for a reason. He needs to break down and pay the 10-20 bucks or so for a patch or cap.

VIP Member
    Ok not gonna debate the merits of emergency lighting from the Galls catalog. Since most of the officers vehicle is shown from the side it is hard to tell what he has on the front and back in the way of emergency lighting, but I will almost bet that the vehicle was equiped with all the goodies you mentioned and they were in use again just a guess.
    I would say he parked in a spot where he could after a pursuit when the suspect stopped, you dont get to choose your location. As has been stated over and over he drew his weapon, did not point it at the rider, when he saw that there was no threat he holstered. In regards to your comment of "Relying on another officer in the area" that implies an officer being a block away driving to the scene I'll say it again, a marked patrol car, with all the lights, siren and goodies you mentioned about 10-15 feet behind the rider with a uniformed State Trooper standing beside it. Hmmmmmmm do you think he wants me to stop? Might I be in trouble?
    None of us were there to know what all occured other than the video of the guy acting a horses ass on the motorcycle. Yes the officer should have yelled Police or whatever would have made it easier for everyone, a t shirt, jacket, cap or tactical underwear with police would have made identification easier without a doubt but the officer did not get to choose the circumstances that he became involved in the rider made that choice for him.
    Depending on his assignment he may not be authorized to wear those items. Again since I am not employed by the Maryland State Police I do not know what their policy, procedures and protocols are nor do you.
    We have the luxury of sitting back after the fact and saying he did this wrong or right. At the moment is it possible that they may have thought this guy may have been fleeing from another crime and not just some guy speeding on a sportbike? We dont know because we weren't there.
    We will just have to agree to disagree.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Interesting vid.... I see all kinds of shoulda, couldas there. I did notice however that the motorcycle rider didnt seem to be running IMHO. I believe he knew he was being pursued after he took the off ramp (notice the long head turn on the off ramp). That was probably the first time he realized it. It is not easy to see what is going behind you on a sport bike. Very little time is spent looking on rear view mirrors.

Just my opinion, but if he were really trying to flee he would have kept right on going. There were plenty of places that bike could have slipped through without any problems. The reason he backed up was probably instinct... Most riders donít like to have anything in front of them when they stop because there is no reverse....

The car that was in front of him probably should have just blocked him in and waited in the car for the uniformed officers to do their job (if he knew they were there). Either way Iím sure the rider figured out what was going on and knew it was some sort of officer stopping him.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Posted about this in the other thread. Got deleted.
    I wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Be assured this guy was not running from the cop or the Thug in the dark car...
    Thug? I'm just waiting for the day you get pulled over. Good luck to you.

tacman. I can agree with a lot of what you are saying. My main point is that the poorly identified cop should not have drawn his weapon. If he felt threatened he should have stayed in his car and blocked the rider's escape until the other officer could apprehend the rider. He could have easily parked behind the motorcycle in this case. I agree that sometimes you can't pick a perfect spot. If he did not feel threatened he should have gotten out and identified himself by making his badge clearly seen instead of hiding his right hip the way he did. It is a good video for him to learn from. Hey, nobody is perfect and that is why we train.

Hey guys, I saw this crop up today. The video on the page has a snip from the video from OP where the unmarked police car cuts off the bike.

Debate Sparks Over Video Recording Of Arrests - wjz.com
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Interesting that the police are permitted to use video in their car/dash, but when a lowly citizen trys to video tape anyone in law enforcement ( particularly when doing some questionable act) then it is DEEMED (mis-interpreted) as illegal.

The current law as I unsdestand makes it illegal to tape someone else ONLY in PRIVATE and without their consent... so how would that apply here???

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links