Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn.

This is a discussion on Man stops car in front of you, exits vehicle with gun drawn. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're on a motorcycle exiting a busy interstate. As you slow down for the stopped vehicles ahead of you, a car behind you passes you ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

You're on a motorcycle exiting a busy interstate. As you slow down for the stopped vehicles ahead of you, a car behind you passes you on the right and places his car between you and the car in front of you.

He immediately opens his car door, and aggressively approaches you. The man is wearing jeans and a light sweater. He has a gun in his hand.

What do you do?

After you answer, watch this (full video on the bottom of the page).
    Last edited by narcberry; April 11th, 2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: grammar
    Crime should be outlawed.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I envision a man getting hit by a motorcycle.

...But then I don't pull juvenile, idiotic stunts like the motorcyclist did.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I have been OCing while cruising in my bike. If this cop had pulled me over in that manner, without showing his badge, I would've likely sprayed him a bit with some .40 cal. Now, guys in crotch-rockets driving like maniacs tick me off...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I have been OCing while cruising in my bike. If this cop had pulled me over in that manner, without showing his badge, I would've likely sprayed him a bit with some .40 cal. Now, guys in crotch-rockets driving like maniacs tick me off...
    We're not seeing the whole picture. I think there was a marked car behind him as well, and the rider had previously been acting like a serious knucklehead.

But if someone just did that out of the blue, my .45 would be coming out of the shoulder holster, post haste.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

If this individual was a LEO and he came out of his vehicle armed, he should have his ID in his other hand and be explaining to you who he was and what he wanted with you. NO ID bad situation for both parties involved.

Just watched the video, he did identify himself, should have shown his ID! Obviously the individual riding the bike had been doing some things that didn't jive with the Motor Vehicle Code!!
    Last edited by Hiram25; April 11th, 2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Response after watching video.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    We're not seeing the whole picture. I think there was a marked car behind him as well, and the rider had previously been acting like a serious knucklehead.
    There was a marked car behind him. This was posted on LiveLeak not long ago. It is obvious he was running from LEO's and nobody has learned the entire story because the video was being shot via the rider who was fleeing the police.

I grew up in Maryland and the marked vehicle appears to be a Maryland State Trooper. I know their cars well.

Ok, I'll edit this some more. It did happen in Maryland and there is more to the story from the link posted. Being that I knew what the video was about before clicking the link I posted this.

One more edit: I also hate how some people create headlines to sensationalize an incident where the LEO did nothing wrong.
    Last edited by WhoWeBePart1; April 12th, 2010 at 12:20 AM.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    At the end of the full video, you see the marked car with lights behind the bike, so that kind of changes things a little.

But from the initial video of the guy just pulling up, I am probably rolling on the throttle and dropping the clutch right into him and away through traffic. No bikejacking for me. Let him try to hit a moving target shooting through traffic after being sideswiped by a 700 lb bike.

Knowing that there was a cop right behind you after doing 100 mph on the freeway means he probably did the right thing by backing up and complying with the demands.
    Walk softly ...

The scenario you describe in your post is not exactly the same scenario in the video so it's not a good comparison.

The scenario in the post does not include you as the rider, riding like an idiot and does not include a marked police car directly behind you when you get pulled over.

As far as I'm concerned this is a baited scenario and counter productive. YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The scenario you describe in your post is not exactly the same scenario in the video so it's not a good comparison.

The scenario in the post does not include you as the rider, riding like an idiot and does not include a marked police car directly behind you when you get pulled over.

As far as I'm concerned this is a baited scenario and counter productive. YMMV
    Thank you. Those are the words I could not find.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    If it was me and that marked car wasn't behind me. There would have been some problems before he could even get out of the car.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I don't ride motorcycles, and while I would like to play, I simple don't ride motorcycles.

It would be a difficult situation.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Similar incident happened to me once when driving slowly down a rural county road. I was driving slow in my car looking in the ditches for morel mushrooms that can occasionally be found there. I noticed a truck following me so I continued driving but pulled over enough to let him by. As soon as he got around me he immediately pulled in front of me at an angle to stop me. Before he had a chance to say anything I had retrieved my weapon from under my seat and had in in my lap. This was before handgun licenses were ever issued in my state.

Come to find out this was just someone who didn't like strangers driving down "his" road. I pointed out to him that if he was worried about what I was up to he should call the sheriff. I also pointed out to him that before he had got the first word out of his mouth that I had a handgun pointed at him. When I got back to town I called a friend who was also a Deputy and told him the story.
    The fact that he almost caused me to wreck my car made me even more upset than the thought of being robbed at the time.

Michael

I agree, the guy driving reckless did the right thing by backing up and the cop did the right thing by cornering him in (havent seen the video, at work) because (NOT trying to be anti sportsbike) but most are younger kats who run.

Now the way the OP post is if someone stops you randomly (Random guy) then I agree power with the clutch loose and letting him have the bike front first. If theres enough room, smoke the tires on the way out between two vehicles. but for this person, they should not of run.

There was an incident a while back a guy (18-21) was speeding and outran 2 state troopers on a GSXR1000 (beatiful bike) and was 6 streets down (I think) and hit an unmarked police car.

Got seriously hurt I thnk
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I am probably rolling on the throttle and dropping the clutch right into him
    For those of you that mentioned running into him with the bike, keep in mind that hitting a ped can easily, and will usually make you lose control. Even with a 700lb dresser.

I don't think this is a good part of the plan.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    There was a marked car behind him. This was posted on LiveLeak not long ago. It is obvious he was running from LEO's and nobody has learned the entire story because the video was being shot via the rider who was fleeing the police.

I grew up in Maryland and the marked vehicle appears to be a Maryland State Trooper. I know their cars well.

Ok, I'll edit this some more. It did happen in Maryland and there is more to the story from the link posted. Being that I knew what the video was about before clicking the link I posted this.

One more edit: I also hate how some people create headlines to sensationalize an incident where the LEO did nothing wrong.
    It's not obvious to me that he's running from LEO. If he was running then I seriously doubt that he would have just gotten off the freeway and stopped in traffic. It's impossible to tell when the unmarked car showed up behind him. If I could see the unmarked car behind me then things would be much different.

If you have a link to the story that says he was running from police then I'll believe it, until then I'll consider the cop lucky that he wasn't run over with the bike or shot.

He did identify himself as a cop, BUT it was LONG after he had his gun out and came at the guy. It takes me approximately 2 seconds to retrieve my gun and get off 2 shots...
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links