Drawing Gun on BG, and he runs away... - Page 2

Drawing Gun on BG, and he runs away...

This is a discussion on Drawing Gun on BG, and he runs away... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzB What if the BG is firing as he's running? would you be in fear for your life or serious injury?...if he ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drawing Gun on BG, and he runs away...

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    What if the BG is firing as he's running?
    would you be in fear for your life or serious injury?...if he is firing he is a danger to you...

Shoot to stop the person from what, exactly?

As you note the threat is running away...And thus no longer in the immediate a threat to you.
    So why would you think it proper and moral never mind lawful to shoot the person, as they have clearly changed their mind about being a threat and are fleeing...from you?

Even if in your state it were lawful to shoot the person, which you would need to verify by your own state laws, it still would be morally wrong.
    Never mind being very expensive because now you have shot and injured a person which means police, being detained if not temporarily arrested, possibly required to post bond to re-gain your freedom followed by hiring of an attorney ($$$$) to defend your actions in court as well as to mount a defen$e case to justify your actions.
    Never mind possibility of exposing yourself to a civil ca$e where depending on state law the person or his descendants & family could sue you for wrongful injury/wrongful death.

Don't think it can happen or go down like that? Think again.

Also what if you maim, disable for life or even kill the person.
    A human being.
    A human being who in the immediate was no longer a threat to you and had been fleeing as with a changed mind & heart.
    You gonna have to carry that to and possibly beyond the grave.

Welcome to the board!

I strongly suggest you review our 'Reference & How To' sub-forum where a number of items and posts have been archived that the membership and/or mods feel are key information for all to know.

Reference & "How To" Forum - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

One of those is a thread I'd posted some time ago on just this sort of scenario; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ard-times.html

The full thread with original responses can be found here; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ard-times.html

Read either on of these and by that the answer to your question per the scenario should become crystal clear.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    would you be in fear for your life or serious injury?...if he is firing he is a danger to you...
    Bingo! ^^

This kind of stuff is or should be a no brainer item, especially for members who have been here _and_ paying attention for greater time frame than a week.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Bark'n has it right. Most likely the answer is no, however it can vary. I am in the military and change states frequently (and, therefore have to learn a new legal set each time). Every state has their own version of "duty-to-retreat," "castle doctrine" or "stand-your-groud" laws. The best way to answer that question, is to review your local/state laws, case law examples if there are any available, and, if all else fails, give the local sherriff (or who ever issues permits in you area) a call and see if they can point you in the right direction. Calling a lawyer with your question probably wouldn't hurt either.

I also agree with another post suggesting you consider whether it is worth it to kill once the individual is no longer a threat. Personally, all my stuff is insured, so no physical threat, no shot.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Texas unless he's fleeing with stolen property the answer is no,and most people wouldn't shoot even then ,just cause it might be legal doesn't mean it's morally right,Question is can you look in the mirror after killing somebody over a 30.00 DVD plauyer,and have you ever tried to hit a moving target on a city street,a shot that misses the target could cause property damage or strike an innocent person,now that 1000.00 flat screen tv doesn't seem like such a great loss when faced with those consequences
    Solid advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Threadbare View Post
    Solid advice.
    Yup...Agreed.

A recent real world example of what Duk states as related to hitting a moving target and missing while firing rounds into _public_ air space is the following sad story posted this morning at the G.B.U. sub-area;

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ray-round.html

An uninvolved innocent across the way and _down range_ of the shot as fired was killed, unintentionally while the person who that bullet was meant for was missed.
    The real world with real world results.

- Janq

I think this is an unlikely situation if you are using the weapon correctly. If your life is in danger, you draw and fire. Immediately. You don't point at the bad guy and say "stop" or some such nonsense.

If your life is not in danger, don't draw and point your weapon at him. Since I person running away is unlikely to be endangering your life, you are unlikely to need to shoot him.

The way the OP was presented I say no. Montana says no. Morally no. If no ones life is in danger when the BG is fleeing, NO.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by FL Vet View Post
    I don't know if this has been answered before, but I'm wondering what your rights are in this situation. In the instance of a bad guy breaking into your home, or outside the home you have to draw on a bad guy that tried to rob you or something similar- say they run away.

Can you shoot them to stop them, or is that against the law?

I'm specifically wondering about this in Florida, but would welcome any and all responses on the subject.
    I won't "draw" my gun to intimidate. If it clears leather, it is for good reason and I am putting rounds downrange.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I won't "draw" my gun to intimidate. If it clears leather, it is for good reason and I am putting rounds downrange.
    So in your home at night, it's dark, and you hear a noise in your living room- you are just going to come out shooting without getting PID on the target first?

I understand you would be pissed off for the BG breaking in your house int he first place-makes you so mad you want to shoot him no matter what, FLA has the Castle Doctrine so you dont have to retreat and stand your ground . IANAL if you think your lifes in danger while he is shooting back at you while running then you have the grounds to fire back.

We dont have to put up with BG's breaking in our homes the rest of our lives so here in PA we are still fighting for "castle doctrine"on april 27th at the state capital.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Quote Originally Posted by FL Vet View Post
    So in your home at night, it's dark, and you hear a noise in your living room- you are just going to come out shooting without getting PID on the target first?
    No I am going to come out and see what my dogs left me. Sorry i dont run around my house like a paranoid freak with a gun at night. I have other security measures that work so I dont have to.

Who cares what the laws say. Shooting someone in the back as they retreat is just plain immoral.
    Proud Lady Blue Dog

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    No I am going to come out and see what my dogs left me. Sorry i dont run around my house like a paranoid freak with a gun at night. I have other security measures that work so I dont have to.

Sigh... Yes.. No.. Yes.. No.. It must depend on how the first guy answers the questions. The last time it was if the BG has a gun you must shoot. This time it is if he isn't shooting you must not shoot. So what the hell, do you just shoot your dog and call it a night?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links