Incident at my apartment

This is a discussion on Incident at my apartment within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wednesday night at about 1:30 A.M., My fiance and I hear this guy running down the hallway outside our apartment on the phone screaming obscenities ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incident at my apartment

Incident at my apartment

Wednesday night at about 1:30 A.M., My fiance and I hear this guy running down the hallway outside our apartment on the phone screaming obscenities (clearly drunk) saying he's going to "come over to your house right ******* now". He then starts walking around in the parking lot just outside and starts hitting cars (turns out it was just one car that suffered damage, a broken windshield). He then is standing outside my apartment between two other apartments and says "I HOPE SOMEONE DOES COME OUT,, YOUNG OR OLD; I'LL BEAT THEIR ASS!"

While this is all going on, I tell my Fiance to call the police and I get out two knives and stand by my front door watching just in case he tries anything funny.

The cops came and went to his apartment (3 cops actually). They then shined their flashlights looking for vehicle damage because my fiance had told them the suspect was hitting cars. The officers start knocking on doors in our building to get info and my fiance went out and talked to them. They arrested the guy and located the women whose car had been damaged. I feel really bad for her; she was asleep bothering no one and some idiot breaks her windshield.

My question to y'all is, what would be the right thing to do in the situation? Did I do the right thing by telling my fiance to call the cops?

Did I do good by not going out there when he was asking for a fight? If I did have a gun, would it be within in rights or even appropriate for me to go out there and order him to stand down while my fiance calls the cops?

2. Remove Ads

Of course you did the right thing reporting it. He damaged someone elses property and was a public nusiance. Keeping your eye on him was good. Personally I would have left the knives in the kitchen and picked up my shotgun instead. If I could visually determine that someone was or being harmed or had been hurt then I would have approached the situation defensively.

Did I do the right thing by telling my fiance to call the cops?
    Yes.

Did I do good by not going out there when he was asking for a fight?
    Yes

If I did have a gun, would it be within in rights or even appropriate for me to go out there and order him to stand down while my fiance calls the cops?
    No

I should add, this wasn't the first time I've had the pleasure of hearing him at 1-2 A.M. Except, those times he was just being loud and not breaking anyone's personal property. And the next day my fiance talked to management and filed a report and they promptly made a visit to his apartment to talk to him. Apparently they know exactly who he is. By that I mean, when my fiance told the managers (a husband a wife team) our building number, the gentleman quickly said "oh yeah, I know who that is..

enk5 has exactly the correct response to each of your questions in post #3.

No need to elaborate further!

You did fine.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    Yes.

Yes

No
    "Correcto Mundo"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree. Confronting a loser like that would have escalated the situation to predictably dangerous levels. Better to let the LEOs handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    Yes.

Yes

No
    +1.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    enk5 had all the right answers for you. With or without a gun, stay inside and let the trained professionals handle it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Many of us, espicially it seems, that those of use who were in the military, (and probably a lot of folks who CC) tend to be the personality types that find taking the initiative more easy than some others. That being said, we are NOT Law Enforcement for the most part, we are much better equipped and trained to be simply good wittnesses.

Some idiot bashing cars is not worth getting into an altercation that could end up in a fatal shooting. Now, while some may agree and some disagree, I think that I would be more inclined to get directly involved if there was a felony assult, attempted rape, etc going on........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

It would be kind of hard to convince the Judge that you were in fear for your life after you left the safety of your apartment to confront this individual. YOU DID GOOD!

Would have been harder had he been beating the crap out of MY car

Discretion is the better part of valor, though. It would piss me off, but even eating my $500 deductible is probably cheaper than calling my attorney after a situation escalated.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    +1.
    +1
    No need to put your self in harms way over property

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Good job! Stay inside! Doors locked and call 911.

Bad things happen to people who go out to the fight. Usually someone dies or someone goes to jail. You don't want to be either one.

Property is not with taking extra risks. Cars have insurance...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    "Correcto Mundo"
    Agreed.

The latter 'NO' is a definite no.
    Doing otherwise would have been incredibly stupid.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links