Defensive Carry banner

The day I left it at home..

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  hothoog 
#1 ·
Today I dont know why, I just decided not to carry during the day, ended up running really late on getting things done, it was about 9pm and as usual for a friday I stopped by my local gas station to fill up and grab a 6 pack.

Nothing out of the ordinary 3 customers plus myself, 2 employes, typical crowd nothing sparked my attention. I walk up to pay I have one guy in front of me.. He asks for cigarettes, as one of the employes turns around to grab them the other sees him pocket some candy. I notice that his pants are bulging at this point and remember seeing him near the beer isle before.

The manager demands him to empty his pockets and words were exchanged. At this point I put my beer on the floor and step back further, and I realize there is only 1 door and he is in the way of it. The guy removes a few cans and places them on the counter claiming he was going to pay for them.. More words are exchanged, he is told to leave... But the manager keeps asking him to empty his pockets... At this point I am thinking just let it go, its a few beers I dont want to find out what else this guy might have.

This could of turned out bad, I am glad it didn't. It reminded me that danger can lurk and happen at any time. I really felt helpless and was dead worried, especially when they manager kept demanding him to empty his pockets..

Overall I learned carry your damn gun with you, dont take a break, it could cost you. Although nothing went south I probably would of stepped back and pulled up my cover to be ready to draw just incase, partly due to the fact that I had no exit. If I had an exit I would of left, the manager should of let it go and just called the police instead of exchanging harsh words with the guy. I realize he has a business to protect but he is just asking for trouble.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can relate

I know the feeling. Im sure most of us have had a time when we didnt have anything that goes BANG, or just a knife or somthing, when a situation got tense real quick.

I was leaving a job interview in downtown Las Vegas. Had my suit on, was trying to get out the door and just didnt bring it. Stopped at a red light and had a guy flipping out in a rage behind me for no reason. He bumped my car and put it in park, pinning me behind the car infront of me so I couldnt drive off. He got out and approached my door. I reached down to my hip and it wasnt there. Worst feeling ever. He punched and kicked my door. I wanted to get out and throw down with this loser but I kept my cool and stayed in my car. Called the cops but the guy bolted never to be found. He never brandished a weapon but you never know. Im packin all the time from now on!

#20 ·
Good self control

I know the feeling. Im sure most of us have had a time when we didnt have anything that goes BANG, or just a knife or somthing, when a situation got tense real quick.

I was leaving a job interview in downtown Las Vegas. Had my suit on, was trying to get out the door and just didnt bring it. Stopped at a red light and had a guy flipping out in a rage behind me for no reason. He bumped my car and put it in park, pinning me behind the car infront of me so I couldnt drive off. He got out and approached my door. I reached down to my hip and it wasnt there. Worst feeling ever. He punched and kicked my door. I wanted to get out and throw down with this loser but I kept my cool and stayed in my car. Called the cops but the guy bolted never to be found. He never brandished a weapon but you never know. Im packin all the time from now on!
Chad:

Good that you controlled your response. My first response when reading your post was to put my car in reverse and push his car back out of the way, but your's was better.

Capt. Art

ps. Thanks for your service.

#3 ·
Like the Boy Scouts say, "Always Be Prepared"!:yup:

#8 · (Edited)
You'll run into a naked woman on an elevator, and you'll be comforted to know that she is not armed.:rofl:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP...
I doubt that many of us have the 'trouble schedule'. If I had one, I'd know when and where to go places. Most trouble is going to start when you do least expect it.:yup

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

#5 ·
I have been carrying for 30+ years; during that time I have got to thinking I am paranoid and don't need to carry all the time a few times. EVERYTIME I have something has happened from the “gee this could have gone bad” to “HOLY @*&!*&#$ I wish I had my gun”. These days (when home) it is 24/7, I’ll NEVER get caught unarmed again.

#6 ·
Even if you would have had your gun, you probably should have handled it the same way....but if things would have got bad you would have been in trouble. I always like to be carrying in any convenience stores....they are most convenient for thieves.

#7 ·
Murphy lives, and he's got a cruel sense of timing.

Try to remember the events in the convenience store the next time you are tempted to leave the house without your gun just because you're in a hurry or it's "only for one stop."

It can happen to any of us, at any time, and often it's when we least expect it.

#10 ·
I guess the manager didn't care to get him with shoplifting. I think the guy would have had to leave for it to be shoplifting.

One thing I do is be extra alert when I am unarmed. The job requires me to be unarmed and defenseless so I try to avoid trouble like a plague.

#11 ·
An item of first thought to come to mind...

With dude looking sketchy to you and he physically blocking the exit (by chance alone) the longer that the store owner/manager/employees fixate on property loss and detaining him the greater chance the subject can become aggravated...And the longer time he has to think and _plan_ a response of retaliation against everyone in the air space.

So my own very first thought as I read your story was; 'Why not offer to the store to pay for the product?'

Hang with me for a moment (!).
Generally I am not a fan of theivery and thieves.
But what's more important to me? Justice meted out, being a 'good witness' or getting my behind up out of there to be safe by what ever means necessary?

The latter. I need to go home, period.

So what is the real cost to me if this dude ends up flipping out, pulling a gun or knife and going mental on everyone he now deems to be attacking/disrespecting him (!). That is how criminals and rabid animals think. I'm not saying it's the right way to think, but rather reporting on how they view things.
So with that said and known how about throwing salt rather than water on a grease fire, and smother it. Pay for the dudes beers along with your own and let hm go with the shop owner satisfied.
Everybody cools out, you bought yourself some peace of mind for dimes on the attorney/ambulance fees hundreds of dollars...And no harm no foul.

I'm not saying this works for all such cases.
Just a thought toward this singular one.

$0.02 Street

- Janq

#12 ·
the only concern i have for that action per janq is the possibility of the criminal going to the "i dont need your charity" place...taking it as an insult and making it another reason to go off on everybody...

but i do see where you are coming form with it...in the right situation it could be a real calming move...

#13 ·
Janq the manager was very aggressive, I was about to but this guys attitude was really turning south quickly, the manager kept using explicit language and calling him trash. Part way into the incident the guy pulled out his wallet, he had cash and flashed it. The manager refused to sell him the goods and again called him more explicit language and kept yelling at him to leave.

#15 ·
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my thought is 'the Answer'.
I was not there.

I'm just saying the thought was first to come to my mind, and it might work under a circumstance.
agreed BnB it could go the way of i don't need your charity...But the dude is shoplifting stuff to start so he doesn't have much ground to stand on to that end although nobody including myself ever claimed criminals to be rational thinkers.

Chuck I follow man about the managers attitude and no doubt he was incensed. I can see it easily in my minds eye, totally focused on the why did you steal from me angle.
Inserting myself into your shoes as the customer I can say I would be giving two cares about what he stole, why he stole it and how insulting that might be to the shop keeper.
My only thought would be how the heck do I get myself out of this air space as in the immediate. I'd have no problem at all with buying my way out for a few bucks more on top of my own purchase. Again just an out of the box thought and problem solving idea that ay not work for but one type situation if even that .

- Janq

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.