Experience while Walking the Dog

This is a discussion on Experience while Walking the Dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While out walking the dog Tonight there was a issue that make more tactics thinking while walking the Dog. While out and walking i avoid ...

Thread: Experience while Walking the Dog

Experience while Walking the Dog

While out walking the dog Tonight there was a issue that make more tactics thinking while walking the Dog.

While out and walking i avoid 1 of the 2 choke points on my walk but cant avoid the other as i was walking away from the first one i can avoid i noticed what appeared a Drunk guy.

While i was looking at him my neighbor appeared around the corner with her daughter and this guy was walking toward them and they were clueless.

As i had been watching this i stared heading that way with the dog as i was closing in he said something to them and they started backing away ..

Since they were in choke point they were screwed at which i point i called out if they were ok and needed help.

Big surprise the guy didn't know i was there and split i waited till they were in there house and continued on while watching this guy head to another house of what would be called Skank .

yes we have a couple here to bad mostly a nice neighborhood.

So as i proceeded on i go thinking again what happens if i was bother at a choke point with the dog..

Since i had 9mm XDSC i felt i was armed enough didn't carry my 38 raining ..

Can i avoid this choke point probley but makes me go down a real high
    traffic road and i wish to keep dog away from them .

So what could i do if i am caught at the choke point ..? I won't say it could never happen even in condition yellow because it could so what to do if i couldn't get to the gun right away?

Since i cant carry Pistol in hand since I'm on a public street .. i know they dog would jump in but at only 36 ponds not sure what he can do but with them nasty needle teeth puppies have it wouldn't be pretty i bet.

Then it dawned on me that hey in your other hand ya have a bag of stinking warm Dog poo switch smack in the face with that it would upset but slow someone down while it might land on me to it would be a good start and then going for the gun ..

My permit doesn't cover a knife so thats not a option either ..

Thought i would post let everyone give there opinions.

This choke point is the better of the 2 to have to pass.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You can't always avoid them. I say go out of your way to avoid trouble, but you can't lock yourself in your house.

If it was me, I'd let the dog go and yell "sic 'em". Even if the dog doesn't understand, it should cause most bad guys to pause and look at the dog, giving you an extra second or two.

'Course if you happen to have a bag of dog doo, couldn't hurt to let that fly, too.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Does the permit give permission for ''assault'' dog doodoo?

Seriously - these choke points will always occur in many places. I think the only way and if dark too even more so - is enter them in orange and assume the potential for problems.

I'd have dog leash on weak side arm, like wrapped round wrist - and so have strong hand immediately available just in case a draw was needed. Even better - pocket revo - in hand Maybe even let weak hand hold a can of OC.

Not so much a paranoia thing but simply being prepared to max - if indeed the ''choke'' spot syndrome is there and unavoidable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Bud, I guess you'd be ready to respond to a SHTF situation....literally
    LOL

I go walking with my wife around our neighborhood with the kid in teh stroller. I definitely have a sidearm, OC, surefire, and my 3 D-cell maglite. No way I'd let my wife go walking around like that after dark. I'm always on the lookout for characters on foot and watch all approaching cars. We have a lot of dead end streets and culdesacs we walk around and just being aware of everything is crucial.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Then it dawned on me that hey in your other hand ya have a bag of stinking warm Dog poo switch smack in the face with that it would upset but slow someone down while it might land on me to it would be a good start and then going for the gun ..
    "If you have poo, fling it now."

IMO, turn your weak side to the attacker, and shield with the weak arm, putting your 'doggie bag' in position to backhand him while you draw and step back.

That's why I walk my 2 Pit Bulls. They hear, see, smell everything it seams. If they come too close with out anouncing themselves then my dogs will get them. If they are at a distance then there is no harm unless they have a gun at wich point so do I.

The poopie bag is definately an offensive weapon

When I walk the dog I have the leash and an full poopie bag in my left hand so my right hand is still free. Only area of concern for me is when I have to a) bend over to pick up "freshly laid" poop, b) keep hold of the dog who either wants to walk off or eat the poop, c) keep my weapon concealed, and d) watch out for anyone nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh
    "Of course we're going to fling poo"

Best 2 lines of that movie. Anyway....

You bet I'd use that bag'o'poo, if for nothing else just to get that extra second to get my hand on my gun.

If I knew I was going into this situation ahead of time definitely bring some OC keep it in the weak hand on the ready, leash in the strong hand. If the SHTF then spray, release the dog and draw.

This is just my $.02

Dan

+1 Best line from that movie!

Links