Another scenario - could have been bad

This is a discussion on Another scenario - could have been bad within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 'Food For Thought' thread prompted me to throw this one out there. I'm not a LEO, but my job puts me in a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another scenario - could have been bad

VIP Member

The 'Food For Thought' thread prompted me to throw this one out there. I'm not a LEO, but my job puts me in a lot of similar (unpleasant) situations, so I don't post every time that I have a near-miss, as they are all too many.

However, here's a situation that caught me off-guard, even though I thought I was ready for whatever would happen;

I manage property for folks, which includes a large abandoned industrial complex. Theft has been a real problem out there, and the local Sheriff has stepped up their patrols for us. In addition, we have SOP worked out for when I find trouble while I'm checking on the property.

While driving through (behind locked gates), I see a car parked in a field with some woods surrounding it. My plan is to photograph the tags and have it towed. The field is muddy, so I can't drive in without likely getting stuck, so I walk. I have a G30 IWB and a LCP in my front pocket. As I get in range to get my camera out, I can now see around the trees to my right there is another dirt road with a truck stuck in the mud, with 3 guys working on it. As I notice this, two heads (that were not there before) pop up in the car, and two guys get out. At the same moment, one of the 3 guys working on the truck calls out 'can I help you?' (bear in mind that these guys have no business being there). Also as he calls out, two more guys come walking out of the woods next to the truck.

I now have 2 goblins directly in front of me, about 20 feet away, and 5 more about 40 feet to my right, and they want to talk.

If I approach them, I will be quickly surrounded. That isn't going to happen. Solution; take out cell phone, speed-dial Sherrif while casually waving to the nubs and saying 'no thanks - I'm good' and taking a right oblique directly into the woods. I mean I walked straight into a picker bush and didn't hesitate. Before they could react, I was buried in the woods and moving away quickly.

This entire interchange happened in likely less than 10 seconds.

I pop out on the other side of the woods and jogged to my car. 'In the car and outta there, with the cavalry meeting me at the entrance gate. A quick disclosure of my cc to the Deputy, and he and his guys were off to talk to my new trespassing friends. Unfotunately, that's all they got written up for was trespassing. However, here's a scenario where I was armed to the teeth and prepared, and still quickly put in a losing situation.

Moral of the story: Avoid it if you can (I can't - it's my yob), and get outta there if it's not playing to your advantage.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    If it's legal in your state, keep a long arm in your vehicle. When you're moving around your property, load it up and do your thing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    If it's legal in your state, keep a long arm in your vehicle. When you're moving around your property, load it up and do your thing.
    This is true. I could do that. I presently don't because I do often bump into utility workers, county employees, etc.. and it would totally freak them out. This is a small town where I wear several hats, and I don't want a 'commando' reputation.

If I really thought I'd need a long-gun for a particular event, I'd call in the pros.

Very good point, though.

Glad everything worked out for the best, keep your SA up and be safe.

Did you carry any spare magazines?

A lot of folks tend to assume they are only going to face a lone bad guy. That logic could prove fatal when all of a sudden you find yourself out in the open facing... what was it? Seven unknown goblins?

Yeah, carry spare reloads for each gun you're packin! Live longer! I'm just sayin'

For the record... you showed good tactics by beating feet into the "thorny underbrush" and circling back around to make your escape. You chose a path they would be less willing to follow unless they were really determined to come get ya!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

A lot of folks tend to assume they are only going to face a lone bad guy. That logic could prove fatal when all of a sudden you find yourself out in the open facing... what was it? Seven unknown goblins?

Yeah, carry spare reloads for each gun you're packin! Live longer! I'm just sayin'
    Thanks Bark'n. I had 10+1 in the G30 and a spare 10rd mag (I need to pick up a G21 mag), and 6+1 in the LCP with spare 6rd mag.

I almost always get the BG's in groups. Be it thugs in my neighborhoods or thieves on my properties.

Yup, this was seven. I'll admit that I've never even thought about a 7 on 1 scenario, much less practiced with that many targets. I'm thinking that if they were all armed with bad intent, it doesn't matter how many mags I had, I was probably toast. Even so, where the LCP makes sense for a close-up mugging, it is almost useless in this scenario. I'm thinking about switching to the G19 SOB, backing up the G30 @ 4 oclock for future investigations like these. That way (like the saying goes) at least they'll find me in a pile of brass .

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    good job avoiding a potentially bad situation...interesting how they approached you as though they were where they were supposed to be...

You used your brain and not your gun, that's good!
    You avoided trouble, that's good!
    You called 911, and the LEOs got there, that's good!
    You went home that night without any holes or broken bones, that's good!

Sounds like you did all the right things to me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

For the record... you showed good tactics by beating feet into the "thorny underbrush" and circling back around to make your escape. You chose a path they would be less willing to follow unless they were really determined to come get ya!
    Wolves travel in packs most times.

If it's an option, a digital camera you can push to 3200 ISO, with a flash and a telephoto lens and a little practice to get the settings down just right and you'll get the plates from over 150ft away. And it's a heck of a lot less intimidating than an AR to anyone that's supposed to be there.

And if your vehicle has "moose lights" you can effectively blind anyone that gets hit with those then a flash for a minute or two, which might give you a little more time to maneuver into the darkness, as well as scan the area for bodies, movement and glowing red eyes, to make sure that if you bail out into the trees you're not running straight into more of the pack.

When the cavalry showed up and cited for trespass, did they manage to determine the reason for these people being present where they weren't suppose to be?

I would have called 911 first, and waited for them to show up. There were too many places for unknown dangers to be waiting for you. If that isn't practical in your situation, an AK-47 would be a great comfort. Scumbags on 6 continents know exactly what it is and that being on the wrong end of one is a bad place to be. You are in a run-down, disused industrial wasteland – I wouldn’t worry about your image.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

If you don't mind my asking, what part of SC? The Upstate has been getting pretty hairy recently.

sounds like your SA was working right.

You quickly identified the situation and acted, quickly...

Well done.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Hello ya'll I have one for ya. I was making a quick stop at my local grocery store, and I was about to go through the check out line when a younger male pushes my shopping cart so he could get in front of me in line. I told him to watch where he was going, and watch his manners. He proceeded to curse and holler at me. Now mind you I'm a pretty big fella, and can handel myself but I dont need that kind of trouble so I moved to another line. So after I pay for my groceries I proceed to walk to my truck only to find this young male one lane over in the parking lot still worked up only now he's lifted up his shirt to show what looked like a SW in his waist band! I do have my CHL but I saw no good could come of this so I got in my truck, and called the county sherriff's office. I waited in another part of the property for the LEO to arrive. I gave my report liscense plate # and all. Even though the whole time I had my Kimber pro tac2 in my iswb holster. I hope they were abel to catch up to the kid, and give him a stern talking to. Just thought I'd share that with ya'll.

Just wanted to add an Good job all around, nice to read about well handled scenarios.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links