Funny things that scared you

This is a discussion on Funny things that scared you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread needs to be renamed to " How I killled my cat "! BTW, I am available for feline funerals....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Funny things that scared you

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    This thread needs to be renamed to "How I killled my cat"!

BTW, I am available for feline funerals.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

2. Remove Ads

gtv
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    My buddy grabbed his off duty gun and ran down the stairs, into the apartment where he encountered the loving couple going at it. By this time all the neighbors were up and standing in the hall. Oh yeah my pal was standing in his underwear, with his wife nearby with his pants in her hands. True story!
    Well, that gives new meaning to the term coitus interruptus...
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

VIP Member
    ok, this wasn't at the house, but I think it fits the bill here.....

I had a call last week of broken window at an elementary school, possibly someone inside.
    My partner and I get there and sure enough, door window is broken out, glass pushed in, looks like someone entered.
    We make entry and begin clearing each room, door by door down the halls.
    We come to the library which when opening the door has a long wall to the right, main room opens up to the left. We pie the room and make our way down the wall, me going forward, partner covering my 6. We could tell a light was on in the room off to the side and as we approached the end of the wall I see a shadow of a person cast on the floor. The person was wearing a hat and it looked like they had bushy hair.
    I gave loud verbal commands with no response. We go to pie the corner since this guy is not replying/moving......
    Only to discover the 4ft tall Puff The Magic Dragon with hat on a shelf backlit by the office light
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

well its not really a funny story but i was living in a house with my wife and child. two stories and a finished basement. just as i was dropping off to sleep, i heard 3 loud distinctive *bangs* coming from downstairs. my gun (9mm carbine) was in the garage. i inspect the top floor where the bedrooms are and find nothing. my heart is racing. i inspect the route to the garage, retrieve the gun, lock and load and proceed to clear the house. i get all the way down to the basement and hear some faint noises coming from the bathroom. i clear the bathroom, except the shower curtain is closed and the noise is definitely coming from the bathtub/shower. i stand there for what feels like forever, trying to decide what to do. i can still hear the noises. sounds like a creaking. i decide to just go for it, and i tear open the shower curtain to find.........a leaky faucet.

i cleared the rest of the house and cleared the front, back and side yard. i never did find what made those three loud bangs.

re

^^^ prolly a cat
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    A good thread! The serious side, of course, reinforces the concept of knowing what you may be shooting at before the bullet leaves the barrel.

I moved into an old farm house out in the country a number of years ago. It was very quiet. One night my wife woke me to listen to a noise coming from the attic. I jumped up to investigate but couldn't get to the part of the attic the noise was coming from. It was a scraping sound. It stopped. I went back to bed. A couple of nights later, same thing, same result. This continued for a while. The noise didn't seem to signal a threat but it was strange. Fast forward a couple of months. The air handler in the attic needed servicing. The tech came one day while I was at work and was crawling around in the low part of the attic on his stomach and, as he crossed a joist, a snake reared up its head to look at him. He went one way, the snake the other. His supervisor came back, went up in the attic and came back down with a good sized Eastern king snake. Totally harmless but certainly a surprise when it looked the tech in the eye from six inches. The snake was released unharmed outside and the noises stopped after that. I later found a crack in the foundation where the odd snake could get in, and actually saw one in the process, but I could never figure out how one got to the attic.
    I do heating an a/c for living. I've come face to face with more critters than Steve Irwin (RIP)
    Snakes and Spiders I can handle. Rats and Oppossums give me the most grief. Get yourself one of them plastic Owls. They help keep unwanted pests away.

Was asleep in bed, and heard the garage door go open. Grabbed a light, my .45, and the trusty dalmatian, and cleared the house. Nothing. Took a while to cool off, and went back to bed, with Bud, my trusty dog in tow. He laid down, and the garage door opened again. He had circled, and laid down on my jeans, with the compact garage door opener in the watch pocket. Again.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Worst one for me easily:

I had just gone to bed.. about 1a. So it's about 1:10a, and I hear this huge BANG. I sit straight up, immediately regretting that my G27 AND G26 is in the car. Forgot to put it back in the lock box under the bed. My wife, extremely against guns and "doesn't want to know anything about them.. not where they are, or anything," also sits up. I stand up and start towards our door, which is always closed. I hear it again. I say, "What the **** is that?" It sounds like it's gun shots coming from downstairs.

I open the door and go to the top of the stairs, figuring it can't be what I think it is. I hear it again. It's our 3 year old kicking the side of his plastic bed against the wall. It was THAT loud.

Glad I didn't have access to the gun, but I did put it back the next day. Had I had access, I would have given away where it is and probably pissed off the wife in the process, considering who the "suspect" was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm an avid bass fisherman. One day it was raining real hard when we got home, so I placed eight fishing poles in the corner by the front door, had lures tied onto them. About 1:00 a.m. there was a very loud bang which woke my wife and I up. Pulled revolver out of my duty rig and responded to the front of the house, windows and doors are ok. Fishing pole in the middle of the floor, no lure. Found the cat under the couch with the treble hook in it's lip. Found a Vet that would see the cat at that hour, loaded him into several paper bags to keep from getting shredded before we got to the Vet. Vet charged me $100 to remove the hook, took him all of 1 second as hook had not sunk into the cat, the barb was the only thing catching his lip. No more fishing poles in the house after that adventure.
    That ain't nothin,I've caught lots of catfish,they usually are in the river tho
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Was asleep in bed, and heard the garage door go open. Grabbed a light, my .45, and the trusty dalmatian, and cleared the house. Nothing. Took a while to cool off, and went back to bed, with Bud, my trusty dog in tow. He laid down, and the garage door opened again. He had circled, and laid down on my jeans, with the compact garage door opener in the watch pocket. Again.
    At least you had the right dog if something was on fire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Back on a rainy/windy November night, I woke up to a loud cracking sound and loud thump around 2 AM, I thought some one was prying the front door open. Grabbed the GLOCK, and cleared the house... Nothing unusual. Decided to check out side and found this.... Took a picture the next morning. Thank god it fell away from the house and not on the house. This is right outside my bedroom window...

Years ago I was a USAF Security Policeman,were doing base patrol checking buildings and find the 67th Pararescue building open,so we call it in and enter to search for anybody that shouldn't be there,never been in this building before and as were clearing this structure he moves around a corner I see him Jolt and raise his 38 ready to fire,but hesitates and he lowers his gun and issues a stream of cuss words,I walk around the corner and see a dummy dressed in a wetsuit with mask snorkel and fins in a crouch position,That thing looked almost real,and came really close to getting shot

OP : same thing, a cat knocked something off a table and a big thud woke me up... I was out of bed in a hurry with gun in hand.

The other.... was woke up to what sounded like someone literally breaking my door down. (My son & his friend playing a JOKE on me at 1 a.m.). I was up with gun in hand, and checking things..... finally opened the door and stepped outside..... there is a 1/2 brick wall right there. His friend jumped up from behind the wall and yelled ..... being literally only 3 ft from me on the other side...... then his eyes got very big... because he was looking down the barrel of a .357 cocked with my finger on the trigger pointed right at his face. It's good that I always give it that 1/2 - 1 second hesitation to make sure I have identified. I put down the gun and asked him, do you realize how close you just were to being dead ?

It wasn't so funny... then.

After that, they called me first, and/ or loudly announced their arrival at my house..... as it had scared them pretty well.

This happened to me just three weeks ago so it's pretty fresh in my mind.
    It was a Tuesday night and I had gone to bed around 12:30/1AM. A few hours later I snap awake to what sounds like glass breaking. As I focus on the clock it says 3:28AM. I immediately open my night stand drawer and grab my M&P and flashlight. At this point my adrenaline is pumping and I'm WIDE awake. Surprisingly my brain is logically processing my tactical situation at full throttle. I live on a third floor and the only two avenues of access are the front door or climbing up into my porch. Both the front and patio doors are next to each other at a 90 degree angle. So I think, that's where the threat is. The room clearing techniques I've learned are foremost in my mind as I start pieing my bedroom door and make my way to the center hall of my apartment. I can see everything from that point and don't see anything out of place. Only thing left to check is the bathroom... I make my way in there and see nothing. As a last resort I grudgingly pull back the shower curtain ready to blow away anyone I find... Nothing. Except I see a dozen pieces of a shattered soap dish that I guess had slid off the edge of the tub and came crashing down.

It took me a good hour to calm down and get back to sleep. But I was pleasantly surprised at how well I recalled the details of what I had learned about house clearing and flashlight techniques.

I had a lot of these incidents last semester when I lived in a duplex with my ex-roommate. There's a couple of reasons he is the "ex-roommate" this being one of them.

I usually go to bed around 1-2 am, which I find REALLY late, and will either wake up at 10 or 11 am for class or work. My roomate had a bad habit of coming home around 3 or 4 in the morning drunk as usual, sometimes with a couple of friends to continue the drinking. Waking up to this got fairly annoying fairly quick, so I started falling asleep with headphones in. Around 4:30 am on a Wednesday night I wake up to the loudest bang I have ever heard in my life coming from our sliding backdoor which was notorious for not locking properly. I immediately jolt out of bed with my heart pounding and grab my Mossy 590a1 and chamber a round. The lights were on downstairs and it was dead silent, not a sound. I make my way down the stairs and swing around the corner of the wall, shotgun raised shouting "don't move!!" to my roommate and two equally drunk friends scared/stupid faces.

Silence for about 5 seconds and all that broke the silence was my roommate saying "..s....sorry man?"

I lowered my gun and said "get out". His friends left, and I inspected the damage. Apparently the volume wasn't working on our TV so the only rational decision my intoxicated roommate could make was to pick up said TV and throw it out the back door and into the driveway screen first exploding into hundreds of pieces. To this day I will never understand why no one called the police or that he thought that was the way to repair the volume on the TV.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links