Funny things that scared you

This is a discussion on Funny things that scared you within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just thought I'd start a thread and ask everybody if they've ever had someone "break in" and had it turn out to be something completely ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Funny things that scared you

Funny things that scared you

Just thought I'd start a thread and ask everybody if they've ever had someone "break in" and had it turn out to be something completely different.

Last night I was awoken to the sound of breaking glass around 4am. Immediately my girlfriend and I both sat up in bed, I grabbed the shotgun as she listened. I waited a couple minutes with my heart pounding through my chest. After a couple minutes of not hearing anything I crept out into the hallway to see my cat sitting on the half wall where I had placed a glass cup earlier in the night...and what do you know, there was a nice pile of broken glass on the floor

I'm glad no one decided to try and break in, but glad I reacted the way I did. As soon as I hear the noise I shot straight up in bed, leaned over, grabbed the shotgun and chambered a round. I was ready to go in mere seconds. It took quite a few minutes for my heart rate to return to normal and allow me to finally go back to sleep...

SO, what's fallen over or creaked in your house that immediately sent you into action and turned out to be nothing?
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    in our first house we were located in the city where houses were relatively close to each other...the next door neighbors daughter closed her window right across from our open bedroom window with a loud bang in the middle of the night...nothing wakes me up (i slept through a fire alarm in college and firefighters rushing into my apartment house with an overheating boiler) and i sat straight up in bed when it happened...once we figured out what it was it was kind of funny but i would have sworn someone was in the house...

another incident was a large picture frame that decided to break and launch itself off the wall in our spare bedroom one night on my daughters side of the house...that got an armed response as we thought someone was near my daughters room...real funny when i discovered the frame lying in pieces on the floor...glad we didnt have visiting guests that night...

The night we moved into our house we're sitting in the kitchen and hear this strange noise, like someone mimicking a bird call. It sounded like it was right outside the window (we live in a somewhat secluded area). A little while later, same thing, only a different call. This went on a while, and finally I decided it was kids in the area messing around with the new neighbors. But it sounded like it was in our YARD!

This went on for hours and I got sick of it. I grabbed my .45, stepped out in the backyard, and racked the slide (it wasn't loaded, just wanted the sound). That ought to scare the crap out of the pranksters, right?

Nope. a few minutes later, it happened again. We're frantically trying to locate the kid's hiding spot, then we realize it's coming from our foyer. They're in the HOUSE, and it's now about 2AM. I'm not screwing around now, I load the .45, rack it, safety on, and begin exploring the house.

Imagine how stupid I felt when I find the Audubon Society Bird Call clock that the previous owners had left in the hall closet.... Every 15 minutes, a birdcall, different bird each hour.

Needless to say that clock received a few holes during my next range session.

Quote Originally Posted by caedenspa View Post
    Imagine how stupid I felt when I find the Audubon Society Bird Call clock that the previous owners had left in the hall closet.... Every 15 minutes, a birdcall, different bird each hour.

Needless to say that clock received a few holes during my next range session.

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoAg96 View Post
    +1......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I might have posted this before,I can't remember. One night I'm on my computer,I had the house to myself,and I hear the sound every one dreads to hear when they are home alone-breaking glass. I freeze for a few seconds,and I hear this voice in my head-"MOVE!!!" I grab my pistol and mini mag light. I attempt to twist my mag light on while holding my pistol and I can't. I take a breath and put down my pistol,twist the light on and procede to the kitchen. I take a deep breath and yell as loud as I can,"FREEZE!!! DON'T MOVE OR I WILL SHOOT!!!" All I see is my cat looking at me like I'm crazy. The kitchen door has glass panes in it,and she knocked one out while looking outside. It took me awhile to calm down,and even longer to forgive my cat. On the plus side,shortly afterwards I purchased my first surefire light. Its amazing how something so simple to do like twisting a light on can become impossible to do under stress. Its funny now,and hopefully that will be as close as I get to actually having to use my weapon.

Cats are great aren't they? I kinda figured I would hear a lot of stories about cats knocking things around and scaring people.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Driving home one night with my son in the van, I looked over at my house from the main drag and the living room light was on. I proceed to my road's entrance thinking the kids left the light on before we left.
    I pull in the driveway and the light was now off. I go full alert and proceed to call the non-emergency line and within 2
    minutes have a cop pulling up.
    I hand him my keys and he clears the house, all doors were locked, windows locked, nothing missing.
    Turns out from the time I passed my house on the main street til I turned onto my street the bulb blew.
    I thanked the officer and he suggested I get halogen bulbs so they last longer.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I live in a small apartment. My couch faces the living room, and to the left is my front door. I keep it locked, of course.

One night, I was watching TV, someone tries to open the door. It's dead bolted, so they try to push harder and harder on the door, trying to get it open. Grab the SIG, wait. A few seconds pass by and they still haven't gotten the door open, so I check out the peephole. Turns out some kid was at the wrong place, and his key doesn't work on my door...
    Knowing is half the battle.

Ok I went back an forth deciding if I should post or not but I guess I'll tell my embarassing story.
    Soon after my wife and I were married we lived in a trailer park (never do that again btw) and one night our back door didn't get shut very well and swung open without me knowing.
    So, 3am rolls around and my neighbor just got off his late shift job and noticed my door open and comes to investigate to see if we are ok. He then proceeded to holler into the house -not sure what he was saying- and my wife and I both woke up to a mans voice in our house.
    As you can probably guess that freaked us out a bit so I jumped out of bed in only my tighty whities and a shot gun, ran to back door and lowered the gun right at his face.
    Lucky for him I recognized who it was right away and in a very shaky voice he explained why he was there and that he was sorry. I then sheepishly apologized for my actions and appearence.
    It was tough to look him in the face for several months after that but considering the neighborhood I think my reaction was understood.

I live in a condo and have a private garage in a row of garages. It's just about wide enough for the car and to be able to open the doors halfway to squeeze in and out. One night I was going to work at about 8 or 9 PM. It was dusk but still some light. I open the garage door, get in, shut the car door and immediately notice in the rear view mirror a leather jacketed figure entering the garage and quickly approaching me at the drivers side. I'm thinking robbery or carjacking at gun of knife point. I had no carry permit or weapon at the time. I did have the doors locked and car windows up at the time though. I really got caught short. Turns out it was a female neighbor that just had to tell me something and couldn't wait until I backed out! I learned a good lesson that evening.

Shortly after my youngest daughter was born, there was a rash of automobile breakins on the road we lived on. I woke up one night around 2am and looked out the window "just in case". HOLY MOLY...the dome light looked like it was on. I woke my wife up and she agreed it looked like it was on. I grabbed my lever action Marlin 30/30 and told her to call 911 then went dashing out the front door. Down the front steps, racking a round into the chamber I run to the car to nab the thief. As I near the car I notice the "dome light" moving across the windshield then suddenly realize it was the reflection from the full moon. I hurry back inside and my wife is still on the phone with the dispatcher so I had to let them know it was a false alarm.

I'm an avid bass fisherman. One day it was raining real hard when we got home, so I placed eight fishing poles in the corner by the front door, had lures tied onto them. About 1:00 a.m. there was a very loud bang which woke my wife and I up. Pulled revolver out of my duty rig and responded to the front of the house, windows and doors are ok. Fishing pole in the middle of the floor, no lure. Found the cat under the couch with the treble hook in it's lip. Found a Vet that would see the cat at that hour, loaded him into several paper bags to keep from getting shredded before we got to the Vet. Vet charged me $100 to remove the hook, took him all of 1 second as hook had not sunk into the cat, the barb was the only thing catching his lip. No more fishing poles in the house after that adventure.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Cats are great aren't they? I kinda figured I would hear a lot of stories about cats knocking things around and scaring people.
    While it isn't exactly funny (I find it amusing in hind sight...)....it does include night time & a cat......

I was having some problems with foxes killing some of our chickens. So I set up an ambush one night. I put a fresh chicken carcass, on one our fences, where the miscriant was coming out of the woods to get to the barns. I attached it to the middle strand of barbed wire & also attached a drink can with a couple of pebbles in it (a make-shift bell). I put a baby monitor outside the barn, where when the can was shaken, by anything pulling on the carcass, it would alert me.

About 2am I hear the can being shaken......& I'm off with an AR to dispatch said critter. I get outside & am about 100yards from the carcass. I had a Surefire light mounted to the AR, that's why I picked that rifle to use. I put the gun up, pushed the button for the light & see two eyeballs shining back at me..........'Eureka! HE'S MINE!' I think to myself......I press the trigger & the eyes disappear.....I run closer & get a bad feeling. I find the chicken carcass & a couple of drops of blood, which lead off towards the barn.... I'm now getting a worse feeling......I follow the trail to the bush hog on one of the tractors in the barn.....& there are the eyeballs staring back at me!.....Only problem......It's our cat!

The shot I made was literally perfect......I hit him right in the center of his chest. The bullet exited near his shoulder blade. It left a small hole in & a slightly larger hole going out (the bullet had started to tumble). It didn't hit anything vital. The cat survived & today, you would never know he'd ever been shot.....He just hates the sound of gun fire now..............

I learned a couple of things......Get a BIGGER light & Use hollow-points! (...although the cat's glad I was using ball ammo).....

Here he is today:
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

This happened just the other night, my wife's dog scared the crap out of me. The dog is a German Shepherd and moves around when she sleeps and is dreaming I guess, have seen her do this before. She has the run of the house at night and will either sleep in her unlocked kennel or on my wife's chair in the living room.

The other night my wife left her laptop on the arm of the chair charging when we went to bed and I guess her dog elected to sleep in that chair that night. The only thing I can figure is the dog started dreaming and doing her leg quivering thing and knocked the laptop off the arm of the chair. I was dead asleep when this happened. I heard the crash, then a moment of silence of about a second, and then the dog going crazy barking after also being awoke by the falling laptop. Stupid dog knocks the laptop off the chair and scares the crap out of me, my wife AND THE DOG.

Needless to say when it happened I sit straight up in bed trying to process what is going on, after gaining my wits I grab the 1911 off the nightstand jump out of bed and cover the bedroom door and sit and listen for other sounds for a minute or two. After hearing nothing and the dog finally quitting barking, down the stairs I go 1 step at a time expecting the worst. When I get in the living room there is enough light from the street light coming in the window to see the dog back in the chair laying down with the laptop on the floor in front of her.

Thank god it was a false alarm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links