Would you......?

This is a discussion on Would you......? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe you guys can help me out with this. I just put a Crimson Trace laser on one of my carry firearms. I was a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you......?

Would you......?

Maybe you guys can help me out with this. I just put a Crimson Trace laser on one of my carry firearms. I was a good shot before, but now with the laser, I'm as accurate as I never dreamed. So my question is this......

In a SHTF scenario, given the oppurtunity, circumstance, line of sight, whatever...would you go for a head shot? Obviously COM first, but would you?

I ask this simply because of low light situations, awakened by an intuder while sleeping, etc..I was trained to focus on the front night sight and really not focus on the rear sight as much. With the laser...it is virtually point and shoot.

I hope this is not a stupid or naive question, I just want to learn and make the best decisions possible under horrible circumstances....
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

2. Remove Ads

Always aim for center body with pair shots, meaning for each BG shoot him twice in the chest.

The head can, and often is, a hard target to hit under stress, laser or not.

I would advise to aim for the center of the largest effective target available to you.

Biker

re

the above post are the proper method imho
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Chances are neither you or the BG is going to be standing still in a fight. How confident are you in your ability to hit a moving target. Consequently, COM is your best shot, vs head, regardless of whether you are using the laser or not. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Always aim for center body with pair shots, meaning for each BG shoot him twice in the chest.
    Good answer.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

NO. Someone moving, or if they move, a head shot is much more difficult to do ... and if your life is in danger, you wouldn't want to waste any shots. IF you aim a gun at them, the first tendency for people is to duck their head.

Deciding to use deadly force to stop an attack is not the same as deciding to kill to stop the attack. I would not want to explain to a jury that I intentionally went for a head shot. My goal in using deadly force is to stop the attack, not kill the attacker.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

If the BG's head was the only target, then yes.

Heck, I'd go for a foot or hand shot if that's all there was. That may be enough to put him out of commision or change his mind. Either way you've stopped the attack...and that IS the goal.

But...definitely COM if it's available. For me, that would just seem to be the most instinctive; it's the largest target if the BG's upper body is in view.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Thanks guys...good insight and good opinions...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Remember, there are always questions to answer afterwards. As mentioned here no matter how it goes, it's better to say you hit the BG center then in the head, a lot of people still today think of head shots outside of our circle as barbaric no matter the circumstances.

P.S. Now, as stated, if that's the only shot you have, I concur, take it.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Here's my take...
    In a WalMart parking lot, when you are just getting out of the car, two dirtbags come around the corner with a weapons, demanding your wallet and your car (your wife is still in the car)...you have two seconds to make a decision.

I doubt that you will be relying on sights or a laser....I'm just sayin'...

2 CoM...forget the head...(border house rules may apply)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Shots are to be taken to stop the threat....that means CM is a better than even attempting a head shot.

Neither of you will be standing still either.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

For all practicality, head shots should be reserved for when multiple COM shots fail to stop the threat.

After a couple COM and threat is still present, hopefully you've been able to move to cover if you weren't already there. If the threat is still present, you may have an opportunity to take a fairly well aimed head shot.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

COM until the threat has stopped.
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links