My little incident today "It's a little long"

This is a discussion on My little incident today "It's a little long" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First let me state that I wish I had not been home. I'm glad it was dealt with but I would rather have avoided it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My little incident today "It's a little long"

Unhappy My little incident today "It's a little long"

First let me state that I wish I had not been home. I'm glad it was dealt with but I would rather have avoided it all together.

The apartment building I live in is an old house that is very large. It has been converted into apartments and I'm the building manager. I take care of the basic things such as keeping the halls clean, shoveling the snow and I have the wonderful job of making sure everyone plays by the rules. The building is very quiet 99% of the time and I like to keep it that way. My rent is cheap and it is why I stay living here, now here comes the but.....

The apartments are not very big and now and then someone moves in who doesn't want to play by the rules. Nobody is allowed to smoke anywhere in the building and of course no loud parties after certain hours.

Well this new guy moved in last week. Hard to tell his age but he has to be at least in his mid 40's if not older. Well seems he likes to drink and party and smoke in his apartment. This does not go over well with me and the landlord had been talked to prior to today's incident.

My morning was slow so I happened to be home. Around 11:30 a knock is at my door. I ask who it is. It is a guy who lives across the hall from the new guy. He said people where banging on this guys door and that he had been threatened. I tell him I will be down in a moment. He does not have a cell phone so he could not call 911.

So on goes the Smartcarry as I'm wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt. I chamber a round in my Glock 27 and away it goes. My Surefire goes in one pocket and my SOG, cell phone and D/L,CCF in the other and I head downstairs.

Well I listen to the other guy's story and I make my way to the apartment door but hear nothing. I wasn't going to knock, just wanted to know if anyone was in there. I call the landlord and let him know what is going on. He tells me to call 911 well since I heard nobody I walked outside. Two officers are out with all involved a few houses down. Landlord says he is coming up and asked me to keep the new guy there till he arrives.

So the new guy, his name is Jimmy comes down. The two officers thought they where done with him. This is my first time I have ever meet him. It is obvious he had been drinking and I told him that the landlord wanted to speak to him. First thing he says to me is don't yell at me and he gets defensive and I inform him I am not yelling at him. My warning bells start to go off at this time.

Well landlord rolls up just as Jimmy is heading inside. He goes in, I follow. Landlord tells him to start packing his stuff. It is an idle threat but it drives the point home. He couldn't just kick him out right then and there but it sends a strong message. As the landlord starts telling him about the smoking, the partying and he keeps denying it. Finally the landlord tells him that I told him what was going on. This is where the fun begins.

Jimmy got really pissed at this point, starts to call me a rat and says he is going to hurt me. I informed him he does not want to threaten me and of course the adrenalin kicks in big time. He looks right at me and says "I'm going to get you" I said fine. You can tell it to the police and whip out the cell phone and dial 911. He says don't call the police. I said to late.

Well it then hit me that the two officers might be down the road still so I walk outside and they are there. They had just dealt with him so I walk down telling dispatch I will make contact with them and hang up. I tell the officer what is going on and he follows me down.

He asked Jimmy for his ID and runs him for wants/warrants. He comes back clean and being someone that has dealt with drunks before I know how they go up and down with their emotions. One moment he was cool, the next he was not. The other officer arrives and Jimmy is still being uncooperative. He is still threatening to knock me the F out as well. I'm not saying a word back to him. I'm armed but nobody knows it and I want to keep it that way. Nobody living in the apartment building knows I carry or that I own firearms. Not even the landlord and I like it that way.

At this point in time he is given a verbal warning for disorderly conduct. They don't want to arrest him just let him sleep it off and the officers are showing a lot of restraint. They must have warned him at least 8 different times that he was close to going to jail. He kept making threats towards me and calling me a rat.

Well Jimmy starts to really get out of hand verbally and I've been telling yall his name for a reason. One of the officers says and I wish I was making this up.

Well now you are not thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy!

Everyone laughed except me. I was already in my fight mindset, adrenaline was still flowing and the officer then says. I've been waiting for a few minutes to use that line. It's from a TV ad if you haven't seen it.

Thankfully though that broke the ice and Jimmy calmed down. I informed him that my job as building manager was to report this type of activity to the landlord. I told him it was nothing personal and I had nothing personal against him. We shook hands, I didn't want to but I felt it was best to show goodwill. The officers left and Jimmy said he was sorry and we where cool.

I ran into him in the hallway about 30 minutes after that. I explained to him again it was nothing personal and if he ever had any questions just ask. I asked him if we where cool and he said yes. I don't feel there is a threat anymore as I think he just had a lot of liquid courage in him but it did make me realize something.

I need to add a chemical defense to my EDC which I will do tomorrow. Yes, I know drunks don't always respond to it but today's little incident made me realize how important having less than lethal options are. My Surefire will blind you but it's time to have that second option.

Please excuse the length but to understand it all I had to explain it in detail. As always, I welcome advice.

2. Remove Ads

No worries about the length....as long as it's readable....GTG.

Sounds like the new tenant won't be there long.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling he'll be a short timer.

Sounds like all went well though. I'd just keep an eye out and make sure my own apt. was secure when not at home.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Jimmy will probably cause trouble again, once he takes another dose of "bravery fluid".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting the feeling he'll be a short timer.

Sounds like all went well though. I'd just keep an eye out and make sure my own apt. was secure when not at home.
    He won't last. They never do but any door can be breached with enough time. I do have renters insurance and I doubt he will take it to that level. With my job you never know when I'm going to show up as I do not have a set schedule.

The cop was funny.

Nothing worse than 'mean drunks'.
    I had a couple of friends way back when who got mean/agressive when they got drunk.
    They were nothing but trouble.
    I doubt you've heard the last from him. Watch your back.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

You made an important point in my opinion. Having something on hand that is less than lethal can be very important. This is possibly more important with your position of Building Manager.

I'm glad things turned out ok. So far...

- Spike

Administrator
    You need to also politely inform your landlord that he needs to be careful not to drop the dime on you & "rat you out" as his source of information.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You need to also politely inform your landlord that he needs to be careful not to drop the dime on you & "rat you out" as his source of information.
    That part did bother me a tad but the landlord did step up right away and informed him that is part of my job. I know he didn't want to disclose it but he did. Jimmy was pretty much asking for proof to how he knew so he told him.

Everyone that lives in the building knows I do not play favorites and I will do the job asked of me. Jimmy at least now knows their are eyes and ears other than the landlord and things will get back to him so I'm hoping this will just blow over. He is not the first one I've had to deal with and I'm sure it won't be the last. He is just the first that has threatened me with violence but I think a lot of that was liquid courage.

What is important is the police where informed and he knows I will not cower to his threats.

In this case I think I would pass on the OC. I would carry something like this.
    Attached Images
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Well done. And I agree...watch your back. Are there women living in the building? He could be real problem.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Well done. And I agree...watch your back. Are there women living in the building? He could be real problem.
    There is only one woman that lives in the building but I'm not worried about her. She scares me more than he does.

My SA is still at a very high level and it will remain that way for a few days. It is 0110 hours at the moment and all is well so I doubt anything will happen but I'm ready if it does.

Well, I don't like chemicals either, especially for druggies or drunks. How about a kubotan? That takes a lot of training tho. Of course you could go whole hog and start martial arts training, that'd be the best, but it would be a few years before you're competent.

Still, knowing some control techniques and having some options aside from handheld weapons is well worth the time and effort.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Well, I don't like chemicals either, especially for druggies or drunks. How about a kubotan? That takes a lot of training tho. Of course you could go whole hog and start martial arts training, that'd be the best, but it would be a few years before you're competent.

Still, knowing some control techniques and having some options aside from handheld weapons is well worth the time and effort.
    I can handle myself if it goes hands on. I do have some martial arts training and I have some other training that I will not go into. I have been taught to avoid conflict at all cost but if I must go hands on it is going to get ugly and I know I'm going to get hit.

I have a very powerful voice though and that is one of my best weapons. It has made many people stop and think more than once before they took it to the next level. I'm still going to get the chemical defense today though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links