Time to take a stand

Time to take a stand

This is a discussion on Time to take a stand within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching this story on the local news last night, and couldn't believe that NOBODY took this guy down and restrained him for LEO. ...

Thread: Time to take a stand

Time to take a stand

I was watching this story on the local news last night, and couldn't believe that NOBODY took this guy down and restrained him for LEO. Can't say that I would have just watched this one walk away.

AURORA - Police are seeking public help in the search for a suspect they believe attempted to kidnap a 4-year-old girl from the Aurora Towne Center.

The alleged abduction occurred on Thursday, April 22 around 7 p.m.

Witnesses in the food court say they saw a man holding the hand of a little girl who was crying and looking around, like she was looking for someone.

When security was notified, the man let go of the girl's hand and walked out of the mall.

According to witnesses, the suspect is a Hispanic man with a medium height and build. He has a mustache and was wearing a dark-colored baseball cap with white writing on the back and blue jeans. He was also wearing a dark brown work coat that had a hood and a logo or name on the left breast area.

The suspect got into a late 1990s or early 2000s dark colored Toyota Tacoma pickup with chrome wheels.

Not saying that I would have drawn my weapon, but under Colorado law it would have definately been an option as his intentions were obvious at that point.

I've heard many on this forum stating that they would just 'be a good witness.' Knowing that this guy was just walking away from an attempted kidnapping, with the strong possibility that he will try again, would make me take action.

Flame suit on, let me hear the pros and cons of my proposed course of action - restraint of BG until the PD showed up.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Can't say that I would have just watched this one walk away.
    What would you have done?

I would've liked to do something, but I don't know what. Maybe follow the guy and try to get some positive id on him, a plate number or something...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Many years ago I picked up my daughter in NJ for a visitation day out.

We went to a local mall after a movie. While at the mall she started going ballistic crying and screaming she wanted her mommy. I had to carry her out of the mall like that with everybody looking.

I was armed, as I always was. Had somebody pulled a gun on me they better not have reholstered theirs or given me even an instant to gain the upper hand.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wraymusicman View Post
    I was watching this story on the local news last night, and couldn't believe that NOBODY took this guy down and restrained him for LEO. Can't say that I would have just watched this one walk away.

AURORA - Police are seeking public help in the search for a suspect they believe attempted to kidnap a 4-year-old girl from the Aurora Towne Center.

The alleged abduction occurred on Thursday, April 22 around 7 p.m.

Witnesses in the food court say they saw a man holding the hand of a little girl who was crying and looking around, like she was looking for someone.

When security was notified, the man let go of the girl's hand and walked out of the mall.

According to witnesses, the suspect is a Hispanic man with a medium height and build. He has a mustache and was wearing a dark-colored baseball cap with white writing on the back and blue jeans. He was also wearing a dark brown work coat that had a hood and a logo or name on the left breast area.

The suspect got into a late 1990s or early 2000s dark colored Toyota Tacoma pickup with chrome wheels.

Not saying that I would have drawn my weapon, but under Colorado law it would have definately been an option as his intentions were obvious at that point.

I've heard many on this forum stating that they would just 'be a good witness.' Knowing that this guy was just walking away from an attempted kidnapping, with the strong possibility that he will try again, would make me take action.

Flame suit on, let me hear the pros and cons of my proposed course of action - restraint of BG until the PD showed up.
    From the story it is kind of hard to say it is an attemped kidnapping. There might some details left out, but the way I read it, he could have been trying to help a lost girl and freaked when security got involved. There is too little info to say I would get involved.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    If i saw him walk away without the girl, without saying anything, then I would have followed and tried to either A)talk to him so that it would buy security more time to get there or B)gotten a license plate number.

No way I would draw. No one's life was in immediate danger. And i wouldn't detain him because I can't afford the costs of going to trial for "kidnapping" or "illegally detaining" or whatever the charge would be called.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    What would you have done?

I would've liked to do something, but I don't know what. Maybe follow the guy and try to get some positive id on him, a plate number or something...
    In my opinion, this is the right answer. Follow him out, get a plate number and a good description, written down if possible to preserve detail. I think the people who notified mall security did the right thing. It's their job to sort this out for the reasons below:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    Many years ago I picked up my daughter in NJ for a visitation day out.

We went to a local mall after a movie. While at the mall she started going ballistic crying and screaming she wanted her mommy. I had to carry her out of the mall like that with everybody looking.
    I had very similar experiences, several times, when I got back from Iraq last year. I left and 18 month old and came home to a three year old. Mommy was his parent as far as he was concerned. I can't count the number of times I had to pick him up and carry him out of playgrounds, etc, with him screaming mommy, mommy, mommy just because he wasn't ready to go yet. This included the playgroud inside the local mall's food court.
    If a security guard/leo had tried to stop me, I'd have been glad to explain. If someone else had, then we'd have had a problem.

I really think the best thing to do is gather actionable information for law enforcement to use.
    Last edited by MSteve; April 28th, 2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added quote bracket
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    If i saw him walk away without the girl, without saying anything, then I would have followed and tried to either A)talk to him so that it would buy security more time to get there or B)gotten a license plate number.

No way I would draw. No one's life was in immediate danger. And i wouldn't detain him because I can't afford the costs of going to trial for "kidnapping" or "illegally detaining" or whatever the charge would be called.
    +1 This is the smart thing to do....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Well, I think we've solved this one.

Thanks for posting!

Links