Times are different??

This is a discussion on Times are different?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It may be a difference between those intialliy with CC licenses available, and those today. In 2005-2006 there were still many states that still did ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Times are different??

It may be a difference between those intialliy with CC licenses available, and those today. In 2005-2006 there were still many states that still did not have CC passed yet. Plus, it may be the "awareness" of the ramifications are higher. I've seen a lot on here say they would never help anyone, that they are all on their own. I'm not in that category, but I think acting 'wisely' and being sure of the true nature of the situation are extremely important factors.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tbonedemon View Post
    What if someone seems like they want to run you over w/a vehicle?
    I think someone threatening vehicular homicide would be considered "lethal".
    Knowing is half the battle.

I have trouble even remembering 2006.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSOrator View Post
    Maybe people are more conscious of litigation and legal repercussions now?
    This.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    I think there is ALOT more awareness and education about lethal force laws/gun laws/self defense/safety in general than there was 5 years ago. This is irrefutable.

Of course this had turned many people from thinking they would be justified in a full spectrum of circumstances while using lethal force, to narrowing it down to the reality of the situation.

Jcabin,

Five years ago was just 2005.

Same courses nd programs as well as views and training existed than as it does now.
    They existed back in 1998 for that matter when I took my first such course as via the NRA at the NRA Hdq taught by a former FBI instructor, a former DC cop a current Fairfax City cop and a current Loudoun County Sherriff.

This info and view has been around since the 70s.
    Ayoob has been offering courses on same through LFI since the early 80s and he wrote several books on same through that time.

It is definitely refutable.

The environment at large among the nation has changed only by more people being legally allowed to practice their 2A rights.
    But the instruction, lessons learned and views by reasonable thinkers has been same for some time now on the scale of decades and generations.

At no time in over 100 yrs. has it been lawful never mind viewed as being socially reasonable (judge & jury) to lay 'cover fire' and get into gun battles, outside of a military or law enforcement exercise.

Those who might have thought or assumed as much to be okay simply have shown their ignorance of life & law matter facts, or that they have been watching way too much Gunsmoke and began to assume that V and movies were real world reflections of actual life. Which anyone from this board should know is very much not the case.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I should probably amend my post to state that the odds would have to be overwhelmingly in my favor, and the situation to be clearly legal, before I'd get involved. Ideally we're talking about someone with a lethal instrument other than a gun, like a knife or a tire iron. If the guy has a gun, I need to be able to engage from cover and keep the element of surprise. I agree 100% that safety of family is first priority, and me going home safe is a big priority as well. I'm not gonna go engage multiple bad guys.

About a year ago, I was confronted by a group of kids and teenagers, one made his way behind me and struck me in the back of my head, any harder of a hit he could have killed me. When the kid hit me, my first instinct was to cross draw my 1911; less than a tenth of a second my gun was out of its retention holster and pointed at those kids.
    If they would have stayed and tried to fight I could have shot until the threat was at a even level til I didn't have to use a gun but, they all tuck tale and ran the opposite direction. I could not shoot by General Statue in NC. What people say and what people do is gonna be different, you will find the people that are gonna do what they say won't say at all.

Every situation is going to be different and it's hard to make a decision.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    times are always changing.

many many new members have joined up since 2006. Laws have either been changed or new ones passed in many states. We didn't have Obama as president and .380 ammo was plentiful. Point not being mindset change but merely to scratch the surface of things that have changed since 2006.

Heck in 2006 I was in college picking my nose in algebra class.

Quote Originally Posted by razor's profile
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i dont really see the change...in most scenarios you wll find a group of "public protectors" who believe their duty is to rid the world of evil because they are allowed to carry a gun and somehow it makes them defenders of the law...much of it keyboard commando movie situation type responses...

as time moves forward some come to the realization that carrying a gun doesnt mean its use is mandatory in every situation and there are other ways out of or avoiding bad situations...

i love the lay down covering fire with the truck gun scenario...thats rich stuff...

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    If carrying a gun is the ONLY reason why a particular person adopts a "public protector" mentality, then I agree it's rash and dangerous. But it's entirely possible for a "mind my own business" type of person to find himself acting as a public protector because his exact circumstance calls for it.

If I see an active shooter in a crowded public place (mall or department store, for example) I would most likely try to neutralize the threat. (This is assuming I am alone!) I may not be legally required to do so, and most people would call me reasonable for staying low and making a hasty exit, but my conscience wouldn't allow it. That's my choice, however, and I don't expect everyone to draw the same conclusion.

I don't want to read about the body count in tomorrow's paper knowing I had the opportunity to stop the attack but chose to save myself instead.

There are a TON of variables to a situation like that and I couldn't possibly predict all of the "what-ifs" or how I would handle each. I just know that there are situations where I would put the safety of others ahead of my own.

If I heard shots but couldn't visually identify the shooter, my very general plan of action would be to get low and hide/move toward an exit. If, during my retreat, I identify the shooter and have the opportunity to take action, I probably will.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links