Late One Night

Late One Night

This is a discussion on Late One Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For many years I played in various blues bands as a hobby. After an engagement one evening, I was traveling back home with the stage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late One Night

Late One Night

For many years I played in various blues bands as a hobby. After an engagement one evening, I was traveling back home with the stage equipment loaded in the back of my open pickup. My wife was in a her car and was a designated driver. Her wireless phone battery died so I loaned her mine to take with her as she ferried several friends home earlier.

About 3 miles from my home, I passed an older pickup truck that was traveling 30 MPH under the speed limit. Suddenly, the truck roared to life and passed me and blew the stop sign at the next intersection. I backed down my speed and allowed them to gain a distant lead. The next intersection was a 3-way stop where I found the truck stopped, straddeling both lanes which blocked my path. The 2 occupants bolted from the truck, leaving both doors open which futher obstructed my passage.

The pair of young men were a Mutt and Jeff crew who seemed very agitated at my passing them a mile up the road. I calmly asked them to return to their vehicle and allow me to pass. I did this several times in an attempt to diffuse their Budweiser anger. They both tried to goad me into leaving my truck which I ignored. The whole time I kept thinking that if I tried to run, they would follow me and find out where I lived. And, I didn't want to do any evasive manuvers with several $1000 worth of sound equipment in the back. I also had the thought this might be a jack attempt as they surely saw all of the equipment while passing each other. What these 2 clowns didn't see was the .38 snubby I had already pulled from the console the first instant I smelled trouble. My SA was on red alert...440. I continued to try to reason with them that I didn't want any trouble and that I be allowed to proceed. I didn't see any weapons but the big one kept his hand behind him as though it was in his back pocket.

At this point, another car pulled up behind me wanting to proceed like I did. The 2 punks did not seem to even care there was another party present and refused to yield. I heard a car door, then I heard my buddy's girlfriend ask if I had been in an accident. Now she was standing 5' from these guys with no idea of the potential danger she had just stepped into. Thinking quickly, I pulled up the snubby and eared back the hammer. I told my friend to return to her car and call 911 and report an attempted car-jacking and to send an ambulance, that shots have been fired. The 2 hoodlums decided they had just received an education in social behavoir and barreled out there. They actually left before my friend even made it back to her car. We waited until they were out of sight so they couldn't tell which direction I turned towards home.

Now, I've had some QB's tell me I shouldn't have pulled the hammer back due to maybe slipping and perhaps I shouldn't have. The sound of that double click instantly got their attention though. I'm no stranger to andrenalin and felt that I was in complete control to the point that I intended to shoot if the big one made a move to that pocket he seemed so fond of. He was also nearest to my friend and there was no way in hell was I going to let him make a grab for her. I have thought about this episode for 2 years now and I simply don't think I could have played it any other way. I perceived a threat and defended myself and my friend. I had been threatened, cursed and invited out of my vehicle from which the Castle Doctrine protects my actions in this state. I did not file a report and I really don't know why except when the andrenalin dumped, I was simply exhausted and went to bed.

Since then, I've retired from the live music thing and only do session work in studios during more sutable hours. I also bought the wife a spare phone battery and a car charger as well as added a truck cap on the bed of my rigg. Additionally, about a week later I spotted that old truck broken down near there on the interstate with a LEO tow tag on it. Stolen or broken down? I just grinned to myself and thanked karma for a job well done.

db
    Last edited by rstickle; April 30th, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Language work around!! Watch it!
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Two drunk guys stopping and blocking your path and ordering you out of your vehicle? They were obviously up to no good. I think you handled the situation well and am glad everything worked out. The only thing I would have done in addition is to report the incident to the police.

No quips from me. Fine job. I'll give you the credit you knew how to handle the peice in a cocked fasion under a bit of stress.

You're alive, no ones injured or dead, and you're not caught up in the justice system. Job well done. Now write a song about the situation.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do...they didn't leave with you a variety of choices.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, neither you or your buddies girlfriend weren't hurt and the two idiots lived to be idiots another day... I'd say all ended as well as could have been expected!

There are liability reasons why people are advised not to cock the hammer on a SA/DA revolver in situations like that, however there is nothing set in stone which say's you can't.

It all worked out well and life continues no worse for the wear. You came away with some lessons which you seemed to address such as car charger and spare battery for cell phones, cover for your truck bed and such.

So not only did things work out okay, but you also gained some knowledge and prepared for the future.

Good job!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    "I told my friend to return to her car and call 911 and report an attempted car-jacking and to send an ambulance, that shots have been fired."

Thats cold-hearted dirty harry speak for "You know whats about to happen, right?"

Well played.

A million thoughts raced trough my mind as I prepared myself to make the right decision that night. The legal aspects I had drilled into me at training caused me to pause and control myself. I did have a friendly witness and if it came down to deadly force, I was to make sure we would be the only witnesses left standing. The "Dirty Harry " remark was in fact rehearsal for my statement. But, I never saw a weapon and neither punk attempted to grab my door or my friend. All of this under a mile away from my home too.

Also, the questions LEO would be asking made me hesitate reporting the incident. Where was I coming from at 2 am? A bar. Was I drinking no, but I had 1 beer and sandwich 5 1/2 hours prior. You see, I really didn't want to go down that road. I felt my credibility might be at risk, even as a victim. Our local sheriff is soft on CCW and publicly resented the passage of state laws that effectively removed him from the decision process. But as his budget continues to bleed red these days, he is seeing more citizen defense incidents as patrols decline. Actually, my whole ordeal lasted about 15 minutes and my friend's car was the only other vehicle to happen upon the scene.

Ironically, a couple of months later I was returning from a show from the opposite direction on that same road and was detained by a sobriety road block. I was laughing pretty hard as I tried to answer the LEO's questions. Before it was over, the officer was chuckling too when I told him about what had happened without great details. He agreed that patrols had diminished and related they were only there that night with grant $ to finance the OT.
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    "I told my friend to return to her car and call 911 and report an attempted car-jacking and to send an ambulance, that shots have been fired."

Thats cold-hearted dirty harry speak for "You know whats about to happen, right?"

Well played.
    Agreed, well-played indeed.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

dont mean to be rude but that was kind of funny now that every1 is safe.. im glad u had the courage to do something with your right to carry...better safe than sorry .

This sounds really familiar. Did you post this anywhere else or am I experiencing déjà vu?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    other than not getting on the phone immediately to 911 as the threat began and filing a report when it was over everything went great...there is nothing wrong with cocking the hammer...your intent is to protect...if that means using your firearm you are just preparing for that...

not filing a report left you open for them calling first and nailing you on a brandishing charge with their own story of the incident...first call is usually considered the victim...fortunately for you they were as dumb as their actions indicated...

if the gun clears leather...displayed or not...make a report...if you were in fear of your life enough to draw a firearm the police deserve to know...you had an opportunity to put a dent in those guys carreer as idiots or criminals and you chose to let them go with no penalty other than a little piddle in their pants...

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post

Well played.
    +1
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    other than not getting on the phone immediately to 911 as the threat began and filing a report when it was over everything went great...there is nothing wrong with cocking the hammer...your intent is to protect...if that means using your firearm you are just preparing for that...

not filing a report left you open for them calling first and nailing you on a brandishing charge with their own story of the incident...first call is usually considered the victim...fortunately for you they were as dumb as their actions indicated...

if the gun clears leather...displayed or not...make a report...if you were in fear of your life enough to draw a firearm the police deserve to know...you had an opportunity to put a dent in those guys carreer as idiots or criminals and you chose to let them go with no penalty other than a little piddle in their pants...
    As I read it, the OP had given his cell to his wife because her's had a dead battery. I do agree with you that the OP should have reported the incident to the police as soon as he could. Never let the bad guys make the first call.

Other than that db4usa, I think you did an EXCELLENT job protecting yourself and your friend's girlfriend!

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    This sounds really familiar. Did you post this anywhere else or am I experiencing déjà vu?
    Yeah a couple of months ago on MO. Carry.com. Good memory.

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links