Very close to shooting someone...

This is a discussion on Very close to shooting someone... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened almost 25 years ago, but I'll share in the hope that we can learn from it. I was very nearly robbed at gunpoint, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very close to shooting someone...

Very close to shooting someone...

This happened almost 25 years ago, but I'll share in the hope that we can learn from it. I was very nearly robbed at gunpoint, and I was armed.

I worked in a small computer store back in the late 80s. Back then the vast majority of our customers were either hobbyists (nerds) or businessmen. Computers weren't that common in most households, and there was no internet.

We were open on Sundays, but rarely busy. So I generally worked alone. The store was in a strip mall, across the street from a suburban mall.

This one lonely Sunday, there were no customers in the store, when in walks in a woman and two men. All were clearly out of place in the store as they were from all outwardly appearances, trailer trash. The store was divided into two sections, one for Apple (Mac and Apple II) and the other IBM compatible. Most people went to either one section or the other, but these folks kept going back and forth between. Their appearance and erratic behaviour put me on red alert. I went to the front, and stood behind the register. I had hidden my Walther 9mm under the counter when I came in that morning.

After a couple minutes, the two guys walked out the front door. The woman hung around for a minute, then came up to the register asking for change for a $5.

I'm on high alert with my hand on the pistol now, aimed at her chest underneath the counter. She, of course, could not see my hand.

I tell her that the register won't open with a sale. (A lie) At this point she opens her purse and I see a revolver. I'm thinking I'm milliseconds away from either getting shot or shooting. At that exact moment, one of the guys opens the door and yells at the woman. She closes her purse and walks out, without saying another word to me.

After they leave, I grab the gun and run to the front door to get more details for the cops. I see them in a red pickup, but I can't get the plates. I immediately call the cops and tell them what happened. They are polite, but tell me there's been no crime, there's really nothing for them to do.

Two days later I get a call back from the cops. The two guys were prison escapees and the woman was one of their girlfriends. They had robbed several people, and beaten one of them badly over the course of those few days.

Still makes me sweat a little thinking about it.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

2. Remove Ads

ntg
    Wow...I got a bit of a rush just thinking about it. I hope I never have to face it. Thanks for sharing.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Excellent use of your 6th sense and situational awareness. Good job!

Maybe she was a cop!

WOW...sounds like your SA was right on!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Wow...I got a bit of a rush just thinking about it. I hope I never have to face it. Thanks for sharing.
    x2

i'm glad that everything turned out good for you.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Sounds like the keystone cops to me at least check out the gun that she was carring etc. I guess you have to die first to get a responce ?

I think it's certain your situational awareness is what saved the day.

No doubt you were sweatin' bullets. No doubt events like that can leave a lasting effect.

However, by all means, I think you did everything you could have done. They never made their move, but had her hand closed on the grip of that gun, I have no doubt your gun would have barked! And rightfully so.

You did everything exactly as you should have from my perspective.

And if having doubts about it keeps you up at night, I believe you can put those doubts to rest. You handled everything correctly.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    Maybe she was a cop!
    If she was, she was deep undercover. That's something I've never, ever considered.
    Az

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I was just a kid and not even sure that I could've pulled the trigger. Thank God I never had to find out.
    Az

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post

After a couple minutes, the two guys walked out the front door. The woman hung around for a minute, then came up to the register asking for change for a $5.

I'm on high alert with my hand on the pistol now, aimed at her chest underneath the counter. She, of course, could not see my hand.

I tell her that the register won't open with a sale. (A lie) At this point she opens her purse and I see a revolver. I'm thinking I'm milliseconds away from either getting shot or shooting. At that exact moment, one of the guys opens the door and yells at the woman. She closes her purse and walks out, without saying another word to me.

After they leave, I grab the gun .............
    Good job having your eyes wide open. Of course I don't know the lay out of the store, but do you think the two guys that went outside were watching you, saw your body language, and suspected you had armed yourself.

Too bad the police weren't a little more pro-active, that would have been a good vehicle to stop and check out for some "moving violation".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Good job having your eyes wide open. Of course I don't know the lay out of the store, but do you think the two guys that went outside were watching you, saw your body language, and suspected you had armed yourself.

Too bad the police weren't a little more pro-active, that would have been a good vehicle to stop and check out for some "moving violation".
    Thanks. The register was up against a wall off to one side, and the only part of the store that was glass was the area immediately around the door. There's no way they could've seen me. I'm thinking they were spooked from something outside... maybe a passing cop or some other people in the parking lot.

The cops probably could've done more if I'd provided a plate number. I was too busy getting my heart back out of my throat and was too slow getting to the door to get the description.
    Az

Hmmm............that type of a trio just screams something's about to happen, especially whe the two guys leave her there and then come back.....at least you were ready to defend your life if need be. Could you imagine if you had no means of self defense...? Geeezzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    This happened almost 25 years ago, but I'll share in the hope that we can learn from it. I was very nearly robbed at gunpoint, and I was armed.

I worked in a small computer store back in the late 80s. Back then the vast majority of our customers were either hobbyists (nerds) or businessmen. Computers weren't that common in most households, and there was no internet.

We were open on Sundays, but rarely busy. So I generally worked alone. The store was in a strip mall, across the street from a suburban mall.

This one lonely Sunday, there were no customers in the store, when in walks in a woman and two men. All were clearly out of place in the store as they were from all outwardly appearances, trailer trash. The store was divided into two sections, one for Apple (Mac and Apple II) and the other IBM compatible. Most people went to either one section or the other, but these folks kept going back and forth between. Their appearance and erratic behaviour put me on red alert. I went to the front, and stood behind the register. I had hidden my Walther 9mm under the counter when I came in that morning.

After they leave, I grab the gun and run to the front door to get more details for the cops. I see them in a red pickup, but I can't get the plates. I immediately call the cops and tell them what happened. They are polite, but tell me there's been no crime, there's really nothing for them to do.

Two days later I get a call back from the cops. The two guys were prison escapees and the woman was one of their girlfriends. They had robbed several people, and beaten one of them badly over the course of those few days.

Still makes me sweat a little thinking about it.
    Brandishing and/or pointing a firearm at another person wasn't against the law in the 80s? Just wondering.

Thanks for sharing the story, btw.

You did everything right. I do believe that you would have responded correctly should she have reached for the revolver.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links