An unexpected explosion in my house.

This is a discussion on An unexpected explosion in my house. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate those unexpected explosions!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An unexpected explosion in my house.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I hate those unexpected explosions!
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

2. Remove Ads

Many years ago I responded with my fire company to a residence for a reported explosion and fire. Upon arrival, what appeared to be Wil-E-Coyote appeared at the basement steps; sooted face, hair literally blown back from his face and singed, shirt nearly burned off and in tatters. Seems Our Hero had decided to soak a gunked-up carb in an open container of gasoline! After giving it about 45 minutes to soak while he ate lunch, he opened the basement door and flipped on the light as he hit the bottom step. How he didn't blow the house and himself to smithereens is still a mystery, however, the flash fire he caused seemed to pan-fry everything in the basement. He was OK, but it was everything we could do to not dissolve in laughter at the sight of him.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

About a year ago I went to a Military Police SRT (Special Reaction Team) course for the Army at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. The school was taught by civilians with impressive military/LE backgrounds. We went through A TON of flashbangs and they are no joke. We wore ear-pro the whole time and I can only imagine how bad your ears would hurt if one of those went off next to you without it. Even worse if you were clueless and didn't see it coming. We got to switch out being OpFor a few times and even when you KNEW the flashbang was coming thru the door, you would brace for the boom , and the thud was still enough to slow you down. And its that split second a tactical team needs to regain that shock n awe factor before they make entry and dominate that room. Sometimes we would chuck 2 of'em in a room. Double the fun baby. So yes, they are very effective and are a fantastic tool.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Mommy Look! That man over there doesn't have any eyebrows!
    That would be odd, hey I could buy a fake moustache, cut it in half and glue it on both sides.

Eyebrows do exist, but they are very well-trimmed. The worst is my eye lashes, I noticed it was hard to open my eyes..... they were stuck together with singed upper and lower eyelashes.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    as a child i was quite the pyro and fortunately just short of almost burnin my neighbors house down i was never seriously injured playing with fire and various propellants...as i grew older the curiosity only grew stronger and i would play with quite a few different things for the rush...

one of my favorites was ether...starting fluid...it wasnt uncommon for me to light a can up and send heat 25 feet away from me in a repair shop...i used various aeresols in trash cans and lube barrels for rocket engine type burns....the most powerful was ether in a lube barrel...a few seconds of spry then a carefully applied lighter would send a howl through the shop that would get the attention of anyone in the immediate vicinity...

another favorite was white gas on a lit fire....thrown from a cup as far as 15 feet away the flames would follow the fumes back to the cup and ignite it in my hand...fascinating....

fortunately i outgrew the curiosity and experimentation and it still scares me to this day when i think about what i could have done...

oh...by the way...the eyebrows will grow back...experience with a hydrogen balloon (drano & aluminum foil) experiment proved that to me...

This one time at band camp...

... well, let's just say that it doesn't take very much gasoline to ignite a bonfire.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    oxygen and acetylene in a Styrofoam cup... hey my coffee exploded!
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I can see where this thread is going; get a bunch of people together who like holding an explosion in their hand and get them telling stories...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    ......Jmac's second rule of heating, if you see me running for the door, you may want to think about running for the door too........
    Sounds like the first rule of EOD, if you see the bomb tech running, try to keep up.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    oxygen and acetylene in a Styrofoam cup... hey my coffee exploded!
    a shop favorite...

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    I can see where this thread is going; get a bunch of people together who like holding an explosion in their hand and get them telling stories...
    well sure...what did you expect?...

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    wait till your working on a gas fired furnace and you staring at the burners waiting for them to light off and you get "delayed ignition"

eyebrows........gone
    Nose hair.........gone
    hearing............temporarily gone
    facial skin......very mild first degree burn
    will it happen a second time.......nope
    Jmac's 1st rule of heating STEP BACK A FOOT OR TWO you can still watch from a distance.
    Jmac's second rule of heating, if you see me running for the door, you may want to think about running for the door to

I sincerely doubt I will ever be in a position where a flash bang will be used against me, but if I see it coming I don't think it will bother me that much.......but who knows
    LOL... reminds me of when a friend said , Ok turn it up (thermostat).... pause.... pause... pause.... uh oh, and I quickly reached to turn down the thermostat.... (not fast enough)
    B O O M (house shakes)

He walked out with dust balls, etc. all over him, no eyebrows, burns on his arms and a very funny look of shock on his face. STUFF was floating in the air for about 10 minutes, so I'm sure it cleaned out all of the vents and furnace quite well. His first comment, I think I had it adjusted down too far.

Cracked chamber as a result == new furnace.

Stand with your back to the firing benches at an inside gun range, without ear muffs on. Then when they start firing, see how you reacted and feel. Now imagine, never knowing it's coming at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links