An unexpected explosion in my house.

This is a discussion on An unexpected explosion in my house. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never used a flash-bang and I've never had one used against me. If the police ever throw a flash-bang in my house, they seriously ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

I've never used a flash-bang and I've never had one used against me. If the police ever throw a flash-bang in my house, they seriously have the wrong address. Obviously they are used to distract, disorient and confuse the "victim", it appears to be effective in many cases.

One can get pepper-sprayed and tazed for experience during the appropriate certifications. Is there normally a training situation where one is exposed to the affects of a flash-bang, if so, what does it feel like? How disoriented are you?

I experienced something like being flash-banged yesterday, it does have an affect on you. I'm glad the police have it in their "tool bag".

Yesterday morning my wife informed me that the trash compactor had a serious malfunction. For some reason the ram had gone down while the drawer was partially opened, causing a serious jam that had never happened before.

I install and repair everything around here, so when I had the chance I took it out from under the cabinet and removed the top service lid. With it unplugged I manually turned the motor and raised the ram and took the pressure off of the drawer and cleared the jam. Once it was freed, I plugged it back in and operated it through several up and down cycles to make sure it would work correctely.

At some point, and without warning, a huge loud fire ball explosion roared out of the top of the compactor while I was watching it cycle ! I instinctively moved and turned away, stayed on my feet. My wife was nearby and she jumped, and was screaming "WHAT HAPPENED", "WHAT HAPPENED"????

I was singed pretty good on my face/head, arms and had very very light 1st degree burns on my face and hand. I'm fine, the house is fine, the compactor is fine, my wife is nervous, the cat's have finally returned to the kitchen.

My point in writing about this is that I endured an unexpected sudden explosion "in my face". It is disorienting and will slow you down a bit. An unexpected shotgun blast near your face (not hitting you) may have a similar effect too. Momentarily, you ain't exactly right. I don't know how to "train" for it, I was glad to see that I kept my wits, but it does have an affect on you.

It's easy to casually sit at a computer and confirm you have a plan, it's one thing to actually experience it and review an eye-opener. I added an old thread that is similar in unexpected attack below.

I need to add how this happened. Apparently there was an aerosol can in the trash. During the up and down cycles it apparently leaked some of it's contents (that were heavier than air), they accumulated in the bottom of the compactor and a spark from the motor brushes or switches ignited the vapor. I now know how the potato feels coming out of the potato gun.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...xperience.html
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Sheesh - and nobody there to hold your beer? What kind of a Southerner are you?!?

Glad you're OK. I used to teach science, and one of our staff thought he would be frugal with the recently-opened can of ether by putting it in the freezer, as things evaporate less when colder. The vapors filled the refrigerator and leaked out to the motor: we found the mangled door across the room and a hefty scar in the workbench where it struck. I'm REAL glad you're OK...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

From my understanding of flashbangs, it produces enough of a "boom" to also effect hearing greatly, a loud concussive and concentrated "boom" in your ears can affect orientation more than your eye-sight can, such as equilibrium. That feeling caused with the flashing blindness I feel would be very disorientating.

But I don't want to pretend to know what I'm talking about, this is just what I've always been under the assumption of. Maybe someone who has direct experience training with them and first hand knowledge can chime in?

Glad you, the wife, and the cats are okay!

Ask me about the day I was momentarily paralyzed when a stupid helium birthday- balloon went off in the car.

I'll say I'm sorry right up front but wouldn't that be a "Flash Compactor" and not a trash compactor?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

One can get pepper-sprayed and tazed for experience during the appropriate certifications. Is there normally a training situation where one is exposed to the affects of a flash-bang, if so, what does it feel like? How disoriented are you?
    For SWAT, yes. If you don't know its coming, it will disorient you very well; If you are expecting it, it isn't so bad. Also, it has to be in an enclosed space for it to work well, otherwise, its just a distraction device.
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 2nd, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Note to myself :

Do not allow ppkheat to fix any of my kitchen appliances!

Just kidding dude. Thanks for the post for all of us who attempt to fix things. We can learn from your experience.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

wait till your working on a gas fired furnace and you staring at the burners waiting for them to light off and you get "delayed ignition"

eyebrows........gone

Nose hair.........gone

hearing............temporarily gone

facial skin......very mild first degree burn

will it happen a second time.......nope

Jmac's 1st rule of heating STEP BACK A FOOT OR TWO you can still watch from a distance.

Jmac's second rule of heating, if you see me running for the door, you may want to think about running for the door to

I sincerely doubt I will ever be in a position where a flash bang will be used against me, but if I see it coming I don't think it will bother me that much.......but who knows
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    what does it feel like? How disoriented are you?
    I was in a citizens police academy class in the city that I used to live in. The class had around 25-30 people. We stood in a circle outside (at night), and the instructor threw the flash bang in the middle of the circle.

The second it went off, I immediately felt a wave of heat/warmth followed by white vision and then a ringing in my ears. The whiteness went away after 10 seconds or so but the ringing went on for a good 30-45 seconds. I imagine the affects of a flash bang are longer lasting indoors. Regardless, it was a fun experience.

Glad your ok. I had the same reaction with a 122mm rocket in Vietnam. They will slow you down for a few seconds.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member

For Paymeister :)

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Sheesh - and nobody there to hold your beer? What kind of a Southerner are you?!?

Glad you're OK. I used to teach science, and one of our staff thought he would be frugal with the recently-opened can of ether by putting it in the freezer, as things evaporate less when colder. The vapors filled the refrigerator and leaked out to the motor: we found the mangled door across the room and a hefty scar in the workbench where it struck. I'm REAL glad you're OK...
    I made the same mistake circa 1964; except no bang. The frig just started to stink really bad. It wasn't an ether odor, but it certainly was the ether that caused the problem. At the time I had no idea you needed an explosion proof refrigerator to store ether. I also had no idea the ether could get through the tightly sealed lid of the container--tiny molecules diffuse I guess.

I also had no idea that explosive peroxides formed in the can as the ether evaporated. Back in the late 1970s we had to have all of the drains where I worked carefully taken out and replaced with non-metalic ones where peroxides wouldn't form.

Yours truly once needed the bomb squad to get picric acid out of the bldg. Seriously, they had to dig a hole in the ground, line it with wood planks and 2 X4s to deflect any explosion that might happen upward, and --well, I didn't hang around to see what they finally did. Thankfully, no boom.

Some of what we did in those days before MSDS, OSHA, EPA, and better awareness of dangers bordered on the suicidal.

Organic chemistry lab. sure was a barrel of laughs with metallic sodium being added to organic liquids, heated to red hot, and the whole mess getting dumped into water. And then there were the brominated compounds. Its a wonder we survived and the bldg didn't go up in flames. And then, there were the radiochemicals, but that's another story.

I've got no idea how these labs are taught these days, but I'm sure with a great deal more attention to hazards and potential liability.

Keep ethers in original METAL cans. (metal will oxidize before the ether does-**usually**)

STORE IN COOL well ventilated place away from flame, sparks or electrical gizmos.

Insert iron nail in can to act as an anti-oxidant.

ALWAYS INSPECT BOTH NEW AND OPENED CANS FOR ANY FORMED CRYSTALS (EVIDENCE OF PEROXIDES) THAT MAY FORM NEAR THE CAP ***BEFORE YOU OPEN THE CAP***...

Do not pour down drains- USE PROPER disposal vessels specific for explosive agents.

bosco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I wish I could have first yelled, "Hey ya'll, watch this"
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Note to myself :

Do not allow ppkheat to fix any of my kitchen appliances!

Just kidding dude. Thanks for the post for all of us who attempt to fix things. We can learn from your experience.
    Actually I had it repaired, I just didn't know about the booby trap.

Administrator
    "I was singed pretty good on my face/head, arms and had very very light 1st degree burns on my face and hand. I'm fine, the house is fine, the compactor is fine, my wife is nervous, the cat's have finally returned to the kitchen."

So...have any strangers asked you why you don't have any eyebrows yet?

Mommy Look! That man over there doesn't have any eyebrows!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links