Lesson Learned

Lesson Learned

This is a discussion on Lesson Learned within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife & son are out of town, so I'm a bachelor for the week. My, how quiet the house is when it's just me! ...

Thread: Lesson Learned

Lesson Learned

My wife & son are out of town, so I'm a bachelor for the week. My, how quiet the house is when it's just me!

So I'm sound asleep last night, and my beagle starts barking. I'm annoyed, but she barks when the wind blows, so I'm not all that concerned. A few minutes later, my Akita barks. For those that don't know, Akitas don't bark often. Mine only does when he's got really good reason to do so.

I snagged my .357 and my Streamlight off the nightstand, and let the dogs out into the house (they were closed up in the bedroom with me). I then follow. House is pitch black, but my eyes are accustomed to the dark at this point.

I being clearing each room, but the dogs keep hovering around the entrance to the family room. I know that in that room there's a corner that would be a prime hiding spot - it's dark, it's concealed, etc. So I figure if there's someone in the family room, that's where they'd choose. As I entered the room, I tagged the momentary switch on the back of the Streamlight. Quick burst of light, I can see there's no one in the hiding spot, and I have now cleared the family room.

One problem....now I'm blind. That burst of light ruined my night vision. The fact that I could no longer see in the dark gave me a moment of panic - I hadn't expected it.

So, the lesson learned is: know how your equipment is going to affect your senses. I know my gun(s) well, I can fire confidently from about any position and know how my hands/arms are going to react to shooting off-balance, offhanded, etc., but I hadn't thought to train with my light.

I also now realize the value of a powerful light against an attacker. I was not on the receiving end of the burst of light, but it still momentarily blinded me. Someone getting that blast in their eyes is going to be disoriented, at least temporarily.

Oh, and the reason the dogs barked? RACCOON on the roof!
    Last edited by caedenspa; May 3rd, 2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added last sentences

Well the only way to not cause temporarily blind yourself in that circumstance is to close your eyes when you activate your light. That's obvious.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Try closing only one eye when you activate your flashlight. I close my dominate eye so I maintain my night vision in it. Half a loaf is better than none.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Try closing only one eye when you activate your flashlight. I close my dominate eye so I maintain my night vision in it. Half a loaf is better than none.
    WHAT?????????
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

My flashlight that I keep in my Jeep actually has several different modes, one of which is a green light that I believe is supposed to enhance or preserve night vision.

Failing something like that with multiple lighting modes you might try finding a red flashlight. Red light has a very low impact on your night vision and allows you to increase lighting in a room without temporarily blinding yourself.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    turning the light on and leaving it on would elliminate the problem...if youre gonna blind someone then blind them...use it to your advantage...not against yourself...

Links