School Lesson

This is a discussion on School Lesson within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While attending school in Illinois, my buddy and I rented a small house in a bad neighborhood. Living there was cheap and we had a ...

Thread: School Lesson

School Lesson

While attending school in Illinois, my buddy and I rented a small house in a bad neighborhood. Living there was cheap and we had a few good neighbors. One weekend, my roomy went home to visit his parents leaving me with my girlfriend and an empty house. About 3 am, I heard a crash in the living room. As I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, the 1st vision I had was a sawed-off 20 gauge shotgun stuffed under my nose. Behind it was a 250# biker-type thug. Now I had seen this guy before at kegger parties so many students often attend. But I did not know him personally.

This guy was clearly disoriented by chemicals and kept telling me he was going to even the score for something I was to have supposedly done to his friend. He kept calling me Rick. He didn't even know my name! I repeatedly grabbed the barrel and pushed it away from me and my girlfriend. This allowed me to get out out of bed and pull on some pants. I steered him towards the living room while trying to reason with this moron. When we were in better light, I could see the shotgun was cocked and I about crapped myself when I realized this as I had been grabbing it and pushing it away from my face. I continued to try and reason with him that he had the wrong house while standing in the bedroom doorway. He seemed to relax and be listening to me for a moment and he lowered the gun to his side. But I noticed that his left hand clinched up into a fist. He attempted a round house swing at me that seemed to come clear from Louisiana. I neatly ducked it and he connected solidly with the edge of the door frame. Messed up as he was, he felt it and I believe I heard bone crunch.

I took this opportunity to grab him and shove him out the front door, which had been standing open since he had kicked it in. Thinking the latch my be damaged, I drug the heavy couch in front of it. Andrenalin is a great thing. I weighed 175# wet and still was able to shove this giant and the couch around like they were nothing. He hit the door a couple of times then stood back and then shot it. My girlfriend and I were already dressed by now and headed out the back door. It was at this time that a classmate was driving by and witnessed the shotgun blast. He later told me he had seen the door standing open and went around the block to see what was wrong. The temp. was about 15 degrees and a foot of snow on the ground.

Now outside ourselves in back of the house, we heard a car stop and voices. I thought the LEO's had arrived and walked around to the front. My friend's car was there with the door open and nobody was in sight. I found signs of a struggle in the fresh snow along with a lot of blood as well as a pair of shoes. Concerned, I called out for him but recieved no answer. Thinking the worst, we jumped into his car to drive around and look for him. I was able to follow blood for a distance but soon lost the trail in the road tracks in the snow. We had traveled about a block when we were pulled over by a LEO. The 1st thing out of his mouth was did I have a FOID (Firearm Owner I.D card required for all IL. gun owners) card? I produced mine and declared that all of my long guns were at home with my parents, some 50 miles away. I was not yet old enough to own a pistol yet.

We were hauled in and eventually were joined by my classmate who had been returned from ER. He had been beaten with the shotgun until bleeding out of his ear. 20 gauge circle bruises ringed his face and head. During our questioning, I learned the LEO's had our crazy gunman in custody and were trying to sort out the events. He claimed he had done the society a favor by removing an illegal gun from ME and off the streets. Of course I denied this emphatically and maintained that were the victims here. We were eventually released and had to walk home in the snow as it was the change of shift and LEO didn't want to mess with us any longer.

I found out later, the intruder was released with simple assault charges and no weapons charges were pressed as there was no evidence who it belonged to. BS!! I had a hole in my front door, my buddy had ER bills, I spent the night in jail being questioned and this clown basically walked. Later, an arson job on a mobile home that claimed the life of a 19 y/o female classmate of ours was attributed to this guy who was so easily cut loose. The student who rented the trailer was named Rick. It would seem the thug finally got the right house but once again the wrong person. Again, there was not enough evidence to hold him.

I can tell you that it wasn't long before my shotgun joined my bedside. And I always felt badly that I didn't have the 12 gauge that night. If I did, that young girl might still be alive today. That was almost 30 years ago and to this day, I keep a weapon beside the bed. I will NEVER be surprised again like that. Lesson learned.

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

2. Remove Ads

Wow, tough story to hear. Glad to hear you learned your lesson, but you can't try to convince yourself what happened to that girl had anything to do with you. That was a failure of many other people and agencies.

Good lesson to be learned though. Always be armed and always be safe.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

It's hard to believe the cops let this thug loose especially after an armed break in.

IL justice. Not hard for me to believe. Glad you and your girlfriend came out of it OK.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Sad Story

db4:

Why is it that when police are coming to a home invasion, the first thing that they want is a firearm ID card?

You would think they would be more interested in stopping the violence and helping the victims.

Tough way to learn a lesson.

Capt. Art

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    db4:

Why is it that when police are coming to a home invasion, the first thing that they want is a firearm ID card?

You would think they would be more interested in stopping the violence and helping the victims.

Tough way to learn a lesson.

Capt. Art
    because they dont always know who the bad guys are...or why it is being reported...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, a shotgun and a shovel. No one would miss him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Tragic story. A lesson in why we must value gun ownership and educate the non believers.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy400 View Post
    Tragic story. A lesson in why we must value gun ownership and educate the non believers.
    ^yes^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    It's hard to believe the cops let this thug loose especially after an armed break in.
    My friends and I had a theory the guy might have been some sort of a rogue police informant who traded information in exchange for immunity for his transgressions in that small college town. Nobody knew where he lived and he eventually disappeared...perhaps by a shovel?
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Links