Our close call

This is a discussion on Our close call within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef I would say maybe keep a prepaid phone in the house if you aren't going have a land line for situations ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our close call

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    I would say maybe keep a prepaid phone in the house if you aren't going have a land line for situations like this.
    Good on your wife, I wonder how many .5's have the SA of your spouse. Regarding the phone, I believe that any cell phone can still connect to 911, even if it isn't otherwise operational. Many of our local shelters collect old cell phones as "911" phones and disburse them to at-risk women so that they always have a way to contact authorities. Just a thought...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rcain007 View Post

I spent some money tonight, but feel it was highly worth it, and my wife didn't oppose one bit.
    Hey man, survival is a very personal thing. What kind of dollar figure do you place on the value of your life?

Trust me... It's money well spent.

I don't have all the toys a lot of my friends do such as ski boats, wave runners, Harley's, 50" flat screen TV and such.

But when I travel and stay at hotels, I bring a $500 high rise bail out kit so I don't die in a hotel fire, I have a $1500 in a Bug Out/Emergency Escape Bag, I store 6 months supply of food for the wife and I and I have lots of guns and other survival and camping gear. Extensive medical gear and the capability of purifying over a million gallons of drinking water from any polluted water source during extended periods in the field. I also keep my vehicles and SUV in top notch running condition.

I have a lot of friends who expect to hook up with me if there's ever a SHTF situation, civil unrest, or large geographical disaster... But unless they have something to bring to the table besides their wave runner and flat screen TV, a lot of friends are gonna have a big surprise in store for them.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a lot of friends who expect to hook up with me if there's ever a SHTF situation, civil unrest, or large geographical disaster... But unless they have something to bring to the table besides their wave runner and flat screen TV, a lot of friends are gonna have a big surprise in store for them.

+1 mate.

rcain, you have a real cool wife there. She was able to adapt and react proficiently to the situation. Dropping those keys may have bought her the time she needed to arm herself. It's nice to strategize and preplan for BG's, but when your woman can think on her feet like that I'd say she'll do well.

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    I would say maybe keep a prepaid phone in the house if you aren't going have a land line for situations like this.
    I heard once (and someone can correct me if I heard wrong) that any functional cell phone, even if it has no service attached, can dial 911. This is supposedly federal law that all cell phone companies are required to put the call through.

I first heard this from some organization that was taking donated cell phones for battered/endangered women.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    Good on your wife, I wonder how many .5's have the SA of your spouse. Regarding the phone, I believe that any cell phone can still connect to 911, even if it isn't otherwise operational. Many of our local shelters collect old cell phones as "911" phones and disburse them to at-risk women so that they always have a way to contact authorities. Just a thought...
    Duh. I should have read your post before I made mine.

Thanks for the info!
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I actually have two cell phones (work and personal) and she has one as well. We both upgraded our personal phones within the last year and the old ones are still perfectly functional. We plugged the old phones in and they will make emergency calls only, so there is one in the kitchen and one in the living room now. Our other phones stay in the master bedroom and one in the master bathroom when we are home, so the phone situation should not be an issue again.
    Once again, thank you all for the advice.

Your wife's incident reminded me that I should review some emergency procedures with my wife again.
    Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad everything turned out okay.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I'm glad everything turned out ok. Sounds like your wife did really well. Thanks for posting you opened my eyes also. I do have one question though, where was the dog that likes to look out the blinds and what was his/her/its reaction?

One reason why carrying your gun on you and not in a purse or backpack is better,wherever you go the gun goes with you,It could have been real ugly if she had shown up a few minutes later.Glad everything turned out ok
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by rcain007 View Post
    The blinds on this particular window usually stay up about 18 inches for my dog to see in and out.
    First of all, I'm glad that your wife came out of this situation safely. As a female living alone, I hope I can be as quick in reacting in the same situation.

In your OP, you state that you leave the blinds up so the dog can see in and out. Did the dog provide your wife with a warning or was the dog elsewhere in the home and not aware of the intruder?

Also, was your wife's act of dropping the keys intentional to let the intruder know someone was in the house or was it a by-product of her just wanting to get to the gun as quickly as possible?

Thanks a bunch and great job on your wife's part.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    I'm glad everything turned out ok. Sounds like your wife did really well. Thanks for posting you opened my eyes also. I do have one question though, where was the dog that likes to look out the blinds and what was his/her/its reaction?
    She was inside in her kennel. She is a family companion and by no means a guard dog. She may bark if the door opens, but it is short lived. The only time she goes outside is to relieve herself or to play when someone else is outside as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    One reason why carrying your gun on you and not in a purse or backpack is better,wherever you go the gun goes with you,It could have been real ugly if she had shown up a few minutes later.Glad everything turned out ok
    Speaking of which, I'm gonna need some more holsters!

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    First of all, I'm glad that your wife came out of this situation safely. As a female living alone, I hope I can be as quick in reacting in the same situation.

In your OP, you state that you leave the blinds up so the dog can see in and out. Did the dog provide your wife with a warning or was the dog elsewhere in the home and not aware of the intruder?

Also, was your wife's act of dropping the keys intentional to let the intruder know someone was in the house or was it a by-product of her just wanting to get to the gun as quickly as possible?

Thanks a bunch and great job on your wife's part.
    I asked the same question. She said when she noticed the guy it startled her causing her to drop the keys. It was purely reflex, but it seemed to work.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Glad to hear about everything turning out. I also live near Humble (close to the lake) and have started to worry about the home invasions/burglaries. If you're interested in a CCTV system, I can hook you up with my old boss who does them for a living. (He does commercial, but may be able to help out with residential.) He may be able to help you out. If not, head over to FRY'S on I45 and pick up a cheap one. They make an excellent deterrent. My mom lives near HHS and as you know, not the greatest area.

There's a TGO meet this Saturday if you want to take the wife and kids. Fun family shooting event. Houston

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links