Our close call - Page 3

Our close call

This is a discussion on Our close call within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo Glad to hear about everything turning out. I also live near Humble (close to the lake) and have started to worry ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our close call

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Glad to hear about everything turning out. I also live near Humble (close to the lake) and have started to worry about the home invasions/burglaries. If you're interested in a CCTV system, I can hook you up with my old boss who does them for a living. (He does commercial, but may be able to help out with residential.) He may be able to help you out. If not, head over to FRY'S on I45 and pick up a cheap one. They make an excellent deterrent. My mom lives near HHS and as you know, not the greatest area.

There's a TGO meet this Saturday if you want to take the wife and kids. Fun family shooting event. Houston
    I'm actually in Atascocita, and if you're close to the lake it sounds like you may be too. I'm closer to AHS, but do know how the area around HHS is.
    I've thought about the cameras as well, and may look some more into it. We had our vehicles broken into last October (had a Kahr CW9 stolen out of her car). I will have to check with. The homeowner's association about mounting cameras on the outside of the house.
    We are actually going on a camping trip to Livingston this weekend, but I would love to attend one of these meets in the future. I'm also going to try to make the IDPA matches at Sportsman's Outlet on Tuesday night. I just found out about them yesterday. Be looking for me on TGO as well now that I know about it.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcain007 View Post
    I'm actually in Atascocita, and if you're close to the lake it sounds like you may be too. I'm closer to AHS, but do know how the area around HHS is.
    I've thought about the cameras as well, and may look some more into it. We had our vehicles broken into last October (had a Kahr CW9 stolen out of her car). I will have to check with. The homeowner's association about mounting cameras on the outside of the house.
    We are actually going on a camping trip to Livingston this weekend, but I would love to attend one of these meets in the future. I'm also going to try to make the IDPA matches at Sportsman's Outlet on Tuesday night. I just found out about them yesterday. Be looking for me on TGO as well now that I know about it.
    Yeah. I actually live in the neighborhood next to AMS. I had my car broken into at the Target/Kohls/Quiznos's parking lot by 59. Took my system, iPod, PSP, and a tool box. My step-dad also lives in Atascocita and had his diesal stolen out of the drive-way at 1AM. How we didn't hear the thing is beyond us. It's a shame how the area has turned out. Been living here for a long time, and never thought it'd turn out this bad. Neighbors just gotta start watching out for each other.

It sounds like your wife was well prepared.I'm glad she spotted the BG before he managed to get into the house. It seems like you can't move anywhere and get away from the BG's.

I actually have two cell phones (work and personal) and she has one as well. We both upgraded our personal phones within the last year and the old ones are still perfectly functional. We plugged the old phones in and they will make emergency calls only, so there is one in the kitchen and one in the living room now. Our other phones stay in the master bedroom and one in the master bathroom when we are home, so the phone situation should not be an issue again.
    Once again, thank you all for the advice.
    rcain:

Glad to see that you are updating your Home Self Defense Plan. After the unwelcome stranger at the back door, where your wife performed perfectly, you are actively addressing the weak areas in your plan.

I have found it to be very helpful to write out a formal plan for my self defense. It does not have to be fancy, but you will be amazed at how many things come to mind as you address each scenario that you evaluate.

It will be easier to update (and read at a later date) your plan if you use any of the word processing programs available today. Then put everything in a three ring binder with tab dividers for different sections.

When you learn about new solutions (like here on DC) you can customize them for your particular home (or business, or boat, etc.) and add them to your binder.

Mine also includes lists of weapons with manuals, specs. maintenance, optics, etc. along with phone numbers of emergency personnel, Legal requirements, location of weapons and ammo, tactics and thought processes, vendors, etc. It has grown to 5 - 2" Binders and each time that I go through a section of it, I am able to make small improvements here and there, so it becomes more effective.

Stay well, and keep your SA up,

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    rcain:

Glad to see that you are updating your Home Self Defense Plan. After the unwelcome stranger at the back door, where your wife performed perfectly, you are actively addressing the weak areas in your plan.

I have found it to be very helpful to write out a formal plan for my self defense. It does not have to be fancy, but you will be amazed at how many things come to mind as you address each scenario that you evaluate.

It will be easier to update (and read at a later date) your plan if you use any of the word processing programs available today. Then put everything in a three ring binder with tab dividers for different sections.

When you learn about new solutions (like here on DC) you can customize them for your particular home (or business, or boat, etc.) and add them to your binder.

Mine also includes lists of weapons with manuals, specs. maintenance, optics, etc. along with phone numbers of emergency personnel, Legal requirements, location of weapons and ammo, tactics and thought processes, vendors, etc. It has grown to 5 - 2" Binders and each time that I go through a section of it, I am able to make small improvements here and there, so it becomes more effective.

Stay well, and keep your SA up,

Capt. Art
    I have actually begun doing this as well. It started off with pictures of the weapons, serial numbers, and all that good stuff mainly for insurance purposes, but it is starting to grow.
    I did some research online and printed numerous articles today. Everything clearing a house, SA tips, and tactics, firearm maintenance, firearm safety, practice scenarios, and so on. I also have began logging range trips with round counts through each weapon, ammo results, vendor names and locations, etc. I also have one for manuals as well.

I have actually begun doing this as well. It started off with pictures of the weapons, serial numbers, and all that good stuff mainly for insurance purposes, but it is starting to grow.
    I did some research online and printed numerous articles today. Everything clearing a house, SA tips, and tactics, firearm maintenance, firearm safety, practice scenarios, and so on. I also have began logging range trips with round counts through each weapon, ammo results, vendor names and locations, etc. I also have one for manuals as well.
    Sounds like "Smart minds think Alike"

Good for you!

It is said that you fight as you are trained.

Your wife's actions say to me that you two have thought and talked about some thing like this happening.

Years ago wife and I were no where as SA as now, but times have changed.

Might get your wife a good lock blade folder that can be clipped in waste band or where every as a personal get off me defense.

Anyway she did very very well!!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    It is said that you fight as you are trained.

Your wife's actions say to me that you two have thought and talked about some thing like this happening.

Years ago wife and I were no where as SA as now, but times have changed.

Might get your wife a good lock blade folder that can be clipped in waste band or where every as a personal get off me defense.

Anyway she did very very well!!!!!!!
    I'm telling you, great minds must think alike! She was given my small Kershaw Chive last night as well!

You NEED a lock for that back gate. . .
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links