Our close call

Our close call

This is a discussion on Our close call within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We live in a nice neighborhood outside of Houston, and our house is the last street in the subdivision. There is about 100 yards of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our close call

Our close call

We live in a nice neighborhood outside of Houston, and our house is the last street in the subdivision. There is about 100 yards of open field, and then nothing but woods for miles. We have a gate on the back fence (6' wooden fence) that I use to take my ATV in and out with. Along the entire back wall of the house is long windows that run about 6' long, and the back door is in the far corner with one of these windows about 12 inches to the right of it. The blinds on this particular window usually stay up about 18 inches for my dog to see in and out.
    I leave for work about 5:15 am, and my wife leaves around 7:00 am to take the kids to school, and then to work. This is our normal routine just about everyday.
    Today my wife took the first half of the day off from work to take care of a few errands. We both left the house at our normal times, and she started on her errands after dropping the kids off.
    She came back home a couple of hours later to grab some things before leaving for work, and since she just planned on being in and out, she left her purse with cell phone and S&W .38 in the car. As she walked from our bedroom heading out, she noticed a man standing at the back door. All she could see was his sillhouette through the window of the back door, and everything from his knees down through the window with the withdrawn blinds. She immediately dropped her huge key chain onto the hard wood floors causing a loud noise, ran back into our room, and grabbed the XD .45 from the pistol safe in the master closet, and walked back to the living room with gun drawn and pointed at the door. She said she could no longer see anybody at the door, and went she looked out of the window. Nobody was there. There is a 10x10 storage building about 20' from the back door that provides a great hiding place. She did notice that the back gate had been opened. She grabbed her keys and ran out the front door (45 still in hand) to see if maybe there was a service van or something parked outside, and there was no such vehicle in site. She then jumped in her car and called me, who was across town at work. I let her go, called the constable's department and told them the story, and they dispatched an officer to my house. I gave the dispatcher my number to call me back at.
    About 15 minutes later I recieved a phone call from the Deputy, who said he checked the entire house and nothing appeared to be tampered with. I told him the same story my wife told me, and he said he was glad to hear she was armed and that there had been several burgularies and home invasions lately in our area, and most were during daylight hours. He did advise me that my back gate was open, and it looked like it had been forced open from the outside.
    My wife was a little shaken up, and to be honest, I was too. I was glad to hear that she went straight for the gun, but told her she also needs to keep her phone with her at all times (we don't have a land line, only cell phones). She is very proficient with the XD .45, but I would rather her not have to use it.
    I have no clue what the intentions of this individual were, and I have ran possible scenarios through my head all day long. I just could not come up with a logical reason why an unwelcomed man who is trespassing, would be standing at the back door to my house without intentions of coming through it. My wife thought I would be mad at her for not going out the back door to see if the person had left her not. I assured her that there was no way she was to EVER do that; that's what the cops are for. I told her the only thing she could do was to call 911 (except for this instance when she left her phone in the car), maybe shout a warning, take cover and stand guard in case they were to enter.
    Everything turned out to be ok without incident, but I think there were some lessons learned. We will be practicing several different scenarios in the near future.

Sounds like everything did turn out well. Good deal. I would say maybe keep a prepaid phone in the house if you aren't going have a land line for situations like this. Not that they happen all the time thank God. Hope everything stays calm.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    I would say maybe keep a prepaid phone in the house if you aren't going have a land line for situations like this.
    Jason
    We have already dicussed this. Wally world has them for under $20.

Other than leaving the phone and .38 in the car, sounds like a happy ending overall.

Glad all is good.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I am glad that everyone is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by rcain007 View Post
    since she just planned on being in and out, she left her purse with cell phone and S&W .38 in the car.
    I am going to pass your story along to my wife just to reinforce the anywhere anytime idea.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Okay... First off, having quick access to the XD45 in the bedroom safe was most certainly a lifesaver!

Secondly, the devil is always in the details. Of course we now know, leaving her regular carry pistol, cell phone and keys in the car because it was only going to be a quick "in and out" thing in the house, could have been disastrous.

Oh, well, that's now history... happened light-years ago in the scheme of things. As long as you use that as a learning tool and don't make that mistake again, all is good.

All in all, your wife handled things really well. You both worked together in concert to get the sheriff out there quickly.

The best and most important thing was that you had a back up gun available for quick access and your wife had the wherewithal and presence of mind to retrieved it immediately. Even though doing so, allowed her to lose track of where the potential intruder was standing, it was more important to get to that gun and arm herself while she still had a chance.

Above all, your wife needs to be commended on that!

Good job!

I'm glad it didn't get any worse.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Do dirtbags sometimes go to the back door to sell girl scout cookies?
    Glad all is safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Man... bet that was scary for your wife. Glad she is OK. Good thing you had your home insurance with Springfield.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

It could happen that the BG may come back and try again.

You might try using game cameras and maybe reinforcing the yard gate.

Being in Texas check out the CHL book about posting your property.

Good for your wife's SA, suspect cell phone and 38 will be with her from now on.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

AzB
    Wow, that's pretty scary. Hopefully, your wife isn't too shaken up.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    It could happen that the BG may come back and try again.

You might try using game cameras and maybe reinforcing the yard gate.

Being in Texas check out the CHL book about posting your property.

Good for your wife's SA, suspect cell phone and 38 will be with her from now on.
    +1, maybe an alarm for a little while?

VIP Member
    I need to go over some things in more depth with my family.
    This is a wake up call
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    One thing I suggest,lock the back gate if you can. Mine is always locked. Would that stop a BG? No. But it takes away an excuse for him entering my yard. Hard to explain why you crawled over a locked gate and/or fence.

All, thanks dearly for the advice, tips, and most of all the best wishes.

With that being said, we just returned from the range and both shot the Kimber, XD, and the .38. 100 rounds through each. I just wanted the peace of mind that her skills were proficient, and she did exceptionally well. I was proud, as well as felt better knowing the she was definitely capable of defending herself if things were to take a turn for the worse. I also returned with a couple of boxes of Remington Golden Sabers for the .45's, and Some Hornady Critical Defense .38+P for the Smith, as well as two new Streamlight polytac lights, two Bianchi speed strips, and some snap caps in .38 and .45 for some loading, racking, and drawing practice at home. I spent some money tonight, but feel it was highly worth it, and my wife didn't oppose one bit.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I need to go over some things in more depth with my family.
    This is a wake up call
    +1 my Godfather
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links