Question about Defense of the home by your kids

This is a discussion on Question about Defense of the home by your kids within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Certainly, but it also depends greatly on the kid's maturity level too. Some kids would be fine at 10, others may ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: Question about Defense of the home by your kids

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,267
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Certainly, but it also depends greatly on the kid's maturity level too. Some kids would be fine at 10, others may have to wait until they are 50 (or never) before they are able to handle such situations.
    Yup. I think this is all about good parenting. My boy is 10, is incredibly responsible, good grades, but is an absolute idiot with a BB gun. He's hasn't had an ND yet, but he sweeps everything. He's got a long way to go.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    COLORADO AMERICAN
    Posts
    714
    A lot of good posts and a very tough question. Only you can decide if and when your kid is ready and at what age. I, like many others grew up on a farm and ranch. My dad didn't have a gun safe we had a gun closet that was never locked. He taught me gun safety at very young age with my numerous bb guns. I recieved my first 20 guage and .22 rifle when I was 8 thats also when I started driving a tractor for him on my own. Country kids are expected to and have to take on riskier responsibilities, not that town kids don't have responcibilities, they just aren't driving $70,000 plus equipment. And I also know alot of lazy farm kids i wouldn't trust with a straw and a wad of paper. Times have changed and if your kids not a concern some of his friends may be. You have a very tough decision, it could be one that saves your life or ruins the life of your family and child. Only you and your wife can decide.

  4. #18
    Member Array cz2075bd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    272
    Children can learn to effectively use firearms:
    5 yr old boy demonstrating gun safety (on an airsoft): Sierra Point Five on Vimeo
    11 yr old girl kicking a$$ in training class: YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #3 of #3

    It's all about proper training. Of course different children have different levels of maturity, responsibility, and impulsivity and that needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

  5. #19
    Member Array JPCleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    182
    Coincidentally just received this story in an email, after reading this thread...

    BUTTE, MONTANA

    Preteen Shotgunner vs. Illegal Immigrant Home Invaders :
    Butte, Montana November 5 , 2009


    Two illegal immigrants, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

    It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

    Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

    Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

    When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.

    It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David O'Burien, was not so lucky. He died from stab wounds to the chest.

    Ever wonder why good gun news never makes NBC , CBS , PBS , MSNBC , CNN, or ABC news........an 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home, and herself......against two murderous, illegal immigrants......and she wins,
    She is still alive.

    Now that is Gun Control.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

  6. #20
    Senior Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kodak TN
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanks for posting that JP!

    And might I say, GOOD JOB little girl!

    I hope it doesn't give her nightmares for having to dispatch the two scum bags.

  7. #21
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    Coincidentally just received this story in an email, after reading this thread...

    BUTTE, MONTANA

    Preteen Shotgunner vs. Illegal Immigrant Home Invaders :
    Butte, Montana November 5 , 2009


    Two illegal immigrants, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

    It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

    Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

    Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

    When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.

    It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David O'Burien, was not so lucky. He died from stab wounds to the chest.

    Ever wonder why good gun news never makes NBC , CBS , PBS , MSNBC , CNN, or ABC news........an 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home, and herself......against two murderous, illegal immigrants......and she wins,
    She is still alive.

    Now that is Gun Control.
    As much as that story sounds great, sadly it's not true...

    11-year-old with shotgun stops invaders-Fiction!
    Shotgun preteen vs. illegal alien Home Invaders [False, as are 99.99% of email stories]

  8. #22
    Member Array rcain007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Humble, TX
    Posts
    192
    I think this is purely situational based. My son will turn 3 next month, so I have a little more time to prepare. It will depend on his maturity level as he grows, but he will definitely be taught about gun safety before too long.

  9. #23
    Member Array 120mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana ....
    Could've ended it right there....

  10. #24
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    Children can learn to effectively use firearms:
    5 yr old boy demonstrating gun safety (on an airsoft): Sierra Point Five on Vimeo
    11 yr old girl kicking a$$ in training class: YouTube - McKenzie - 11yo Girl at Shooting Range #3 of #3

    It's all about proper training. Of course different children have different levels of maturity, responsibility, and impulsivity and that needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis.
    There are several video's of the 11 year old girl McKenzie. You should see her field strip and reassemble an AR-15.

    You gotta love that. I imagine she's being groomed for competition if not already shooting in Jr. Class events.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  11. #25
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    set aside the cool factor guys...and this isnt about gun safety or range ability...its about some very serious decisions that adults have a hard time making anfd many are killed because they dont have what it takes to make the decisions in a quick enough amount of time...

    children n general arent wired to make the kind of decisions that save lives with violence...pushing the onstar button and saying my mommy cant breath isnt the same as confronting a murderer or rapist and shooting to kill...and could very well lead to the death of the child also...

    if your gonna train your kid to do something train them to find safety and assistance...thatll save lives...including their own...

    for the country kids...you were brought up a bit differently and worked for a living before most are potty trained...it is different in your world...in suburbia kids are a bit more coddled and survival means they know what channel their favorite show is on or how to get to level 6 on a ds gameboy....

    gun safety doesnt win violent battles...gun savy and a clear mind does...dont expect too much from kids...you might not get the surprize you are looking for...

  12. #26
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    set aside the cool factor guys...and this isnt about gun safety or range ability...its about some very serious decisions that adults have a hard time making anfd many are killed because they dont have what it takes to make the decisions in a quick enough amount of time...

    children n general arent wired to make the kind of decisions that save lives with violence...pushing the onstar button and saying my mommy cant breath isnt the same as confronting a murderer or rapist and shooting to kill...and could very well lead to the death of the child also...

    if your gonna train your kid to do something train them to find safety and assistance...thatll save lives...including their own...

    for the country kids...you were brought up a bit differently and worked for a living before most are potty trained...it is different in your world...in suburbia kids are a bit more coddled and survival means they know what channel their favorite show is on or how to get to level 6 on a ds gameboy....

    gun safety doesnt win violent battles...gun savy and a clear mind does...dont expect too much from kids...you might not get the surprize you are looking for...
    And yet, there are cases of 10 and 12 year old's doing exactly that. Using a gun to defend their home in the face of armed intruders. Sometimes after the intruder has already killed or seriously injured a parent or sibling.

    Hey, there's no right answer to the problem. Some kids will be able to make the decision and do it and others won't. Regardless, if they know gun safety or not. It's always going to be a horrible and tragic event and ordeal for the family who goes through it.

    However, my 8 year old granddaughter loves venison so much that she is already wanting to go hunting and harvest her own deer. While we won't be hunting this year, she will be starting her firearm introduction this summer. I have a .22 LR bolt action Winchester I'll be starting her out on.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  13. #27
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    14,557
    While allowing a young kid "access" to a firearm would be in violation of state law, I don't think any DA would proceed with charges if the child used it in defense.

    I never had my firearms locked up when my kids were young. They were taught that the guns were "off limits," and if they wished to shoot them, I'd take them out and let them. Never had a problem with them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  14. #28
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    [QUOTE=Bark'n;1607147]And yet, there are cases of 10 and 12 year old's doing exactly that. Using a gun to defend their home in the face of armed intruders. Sometimes after the intruder has already killed or seriously injured a parent or sibling.

    QUOTE]

    just as there are cases i'm sure where children could have escaped but were killed instead...

    there are plenty of adults who dont have what it takes to protect themselves...unless a child is trained in self defense it is risky to believe they will have the wherewithall to actually protect themselves or others...escape to safety may be a better training method...

  15. #29
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,384
    thats why several people have stated that no kids nor adults are the same, each have to be evaluated for their individual situations, maturity, understanding, ability, and traning

    all parents have to look over all of the above, not discounting any of them before making a decision to allow them access to guns in the house
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  16. #30
    Member Array mirage2521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW FLA
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    absolutely....if they are old enough to be responsible and demonstrate all the right things
    my 7yo son will know what I knew at his age, he already knows that when he holds my .22 that his finger doesn't go on the trigger until ready to fire on target, I will continue his firearms education and knowledge so he will be prepared

    that being said.........my dad never owned a gun safe or gun locks of any kind, we were all taught that they were not toys, were not to be played with, and all the safety rules....I know....things are a lot different now
    when I was a young teen I had my single-shot 20ga and my Winchester 30-30 under my bed and would have been able to use them in a situation as you describe
    You know, this reminds me of a story I have not thought of in 20 years. I was 4-5 years old at the time. A bunch of much older kids were harrasing the hell out of me, hitting punching, throwing rocks. I ran home to get away. They followed me home and started beating on the screen door threatening to come in. I clearly remember going to my Dad's closet and getting a bolt action .410 ( I still own this gun) removing the bolt to make sure I did not hurt anyone and warning them away from the door with the gun pointed out the door. The point of this is, even at that young age I had been taught well enough to know how dangerous a gun was and how to make it safe.

    Five minutes later my Mom walked in from next door and she heard the whole story from me, told my Dad that night, he got pretty upset until I got to the part about removing the bolt and I remember him looking at me funny dropping the subject.

    Imagine if this had happened in todays society, Mom would have been charged with child neglect, Dad would have gone to jail for unsecured guns, I would have gone to juvenile facilty for agravated battery with a deadly weapon or something. Only thing happend back then was Dad took me shooting the next weekend and gave me the .410. 41 years later, I still own that ragged old gun...LOL
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Mossberg 500 Home Defense - Setting It Up Question
    By DukeShooter in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
  2. Realistic Self-Defense for Kids
    By mercop in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: June 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
  3. LMS Defense Home Defense - Defensive Medical COMBO / Yuba City, CA / March 8-10, 2008
    By Tony Siciliano in forum Defensive Carry & Tactical Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
  4. Home Defense setup question
    By grendel2000 in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: January 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Search tags for this page

butt montana illegal shot and killed by youngster

,

butte montana illegal shot and killed by youngster

,

butte montana pre teen defense shooting

,

montana teen home defense

,

patricia harrington and home defense

Click on a term to search for related topics.