Question about Defense of the home by your kids

This is a discussion on Question about Defense of the home by your kids within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For me, this is well down the line from now. I have an infant right now, but I was just wondering what everyone's take is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about Defense of the home by your kids

Question about Defense of the home by your kids

For me, this is well down the line from now. I have an infant right now, but I was just wondering what everyone's take is on allowing your kids the tools to defend the family in the event of a home invasion, etc.

Basically, if I teach my son about weapons safety and the importance of respect for firearms as he grows up... but at the same time, I would have my weapons in a locked safe so that he does not get to them.

However, in the event of an incident in the home where me and my wife are say, taken hostage or something... would you give your son the code to the safe so that he can get to the weapons and defend you from harm? At what age?

Why or why not?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    absolutely....if they are old enough to be responsible and demonstrate all the right things
    my 7yo son will know what I knew at his age, he already knows that when he holds my .22 that his finger doesn't go on the trigger until ready to fire on target, I will continue his firearms education and knowledge so he will be prepared

that being said.........my dad never owned a gun safe or gun locks of any kind, we were all taught that they were not toys, were not to be played with, and all the safety rules....I know....things are a lot different now
    when I was a young teen I had my single-shot 20ga and my Winchester 30-30 under my bed and would have been able to use them in a situation as you describe
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

that is a tough question and no easy answer....
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Firearm safety is important to teach, I have also noticed children that hunt tend to be more responsible with firearms.

There have been a number of occasions when an armed child came to the defense of his family. There have also been many times, as we all know, that things go wrong.

If the child is responsible, and it were my child, I would still feel uncomfortable with say a pistol. Something like a shotgun might be a better idea. Shotgun might be stored in a hidden case under the bed. I would have the shotgun locked in a case (maybe with just one number to move to unlock) and while loaded, it would not have one in the chamber.

If my child had access to a firearm, in their room, friends would not be allowed in their room.

My $.02.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I think that is something you and your wife should discuss...it doesn't matter what we think.

ETA: If you and your wife are taken hostage.....he should beat feet to a neighbors house....
    Last edited by SIGguy229; May 5th, 2010 at 03:22 AM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I think that is something you and your wife should discuss...it doesn't matter what we think.
    Without a doubt, above all, spouce should have veto on such an issue.
    NRA Member

Tough call. I agree with all of the training and responsibility statements above but I would still like to avoid having my son kill someone and have to live with that from a young age.
    BUT
    I would also like him to live till old age

He is 11 now. I am really at decision time aren't I?

Sled

I am an old country boy. I cannot even remember not having a gun. Did not know what a "gun-lock" or "gun-safe" was, growing up.

Lots of my friends were killed in farming accidents, but do not know a single farm kid who was killed or wounded in a gun accident.

Really, gun safety with kids is a cultural thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I am an old country boy. I cannot even remember not having a gun. Did not know what a "gun-lock" or "gun-safe" was, growing up.

Lots of my friends were killed in farming accidents, but do not know a single farm kid who was killed or wounded in a gun accident.

Really, gun safety with kids is a cultural thing.
    Where you are from matters a bit. City kids are going to find trouble differently than the farm versions.
    NRA Member

Very tough call to make. Monkey see, monkey do.

The example the parents present in how they lead their lives on a daily basis is probably the biggest determining factor. If there's a solid family structure and expectations of personal responsibility practiced by the parents that the child observes consistently on a daily basis, then likely they will be able to handle responsibility sooner than other children.

If the parents lead haphazard lives, with poor respect for each other and then all of a sudden you want to teach the child to be responsible with a firearm, there may be some problems there.

I learned a lot from how my grandparents, my parents and other relatives lived structured, loving, responsible lives. We also had a few relatives who couldn't keep their act together for a weekend family get together or BBQ. A small kid can see the difference.

There are kids who have shot intruders at age 11 or 12 and saved their mothers lives because they knew how to use their daddy's shotgun, or they had their own .22 rifle or they knew how to use a handgun and where daddy kept it.

I think children are absolutely capable of defending the home if they are groomed and raised correctly from the beginning.

But beware, as the parent it is your responsibility to be able to honestly and objectively evaluate their level of maturity and what level of responsibility the child can handle.

JMHO, YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ting-shot.html

Children are capable if taught right from the start the four safty rules, how to handle a firearm, and themselves. There are more than a few stories of what a child can do with the right tools at his/her disposal when the wolves come calling....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tabula-oh.html

Although some would tell you it's absurd and wrong to see to it that children even have the knowledge to fight back.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ight-back.html

Bottom line, you as the father will know when your child is ready for that first step and every follow-on step in learning the proper way to apply the knowledge you pass on. They are life-long lessons that'll help bond the two (or three or.......?) of you and perhaps save him or his loved ones later on down the line. Our children do hear us even when you think thier not listening.

Excellent post/querry daddy!

Like many here, I'm a country boy who can't remember NOT having firearms in the house. No safes or lock-boxes either. My shotgun and .22 I used for hunting stayed in daddys closet except during hunting season.....then they resided in my closet. I was taught from the start from every male family member about safety, responsability, and how to handle the guns, clean them, and most importantly, how to think before I did anything with those guns.
    Last edited by goldshellback; May 5th, 2010 at 05:50 AM.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

most certainly!
    Knowing very little about kids, cant tell you what age, but they should first learn not to touch, then how to safetly handel, then target shooting, then defense.

as far as both parents being held hostage? Id probably tell the kid to scamper to safety and call the cops.. but there are certainly situations where I child can and should be able to defend him/herself
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I think in the hostage situation you described, I would rather my child make a hasty retreat to a neighbor's house to call the police instead of trying to "save the day" by confronting the BG's. Too many ways for things to go south.
    On the other hand, how awesome would it be for your kid to rescue you from the bad guy? Coolness factor and bragging rights, you know?

BTW, I have ten kids, so there is so much activity at my house all the time that a BG would surely move on to an easier target.

Administrator
    Certainly, but it also depends greatly on the kid's maturity level too. Some kids would be fine at 10, others may have to wait until they are 50 (or never) before they are able to handle such situations.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Yep, the growing up culture thing has a great bearing (IMHO), it depends on the experience and maturity level of the child.

Two related stories here:

1. Several years ago, nearby, two out-of-town kids stopped at a house to ask to use the phone. At the time, the house was occupied by a young mother and her daughter (13ish) and her son (10ish) The young guy killed the mother on the front porch when she brought the portable phone outside for them to use.

On hearing the shooting, the young daughter flew out the back door, running across a pasture to a nearby relatives house. She survived.

The young son was found dead laying near his bed where he had obviously retrieved his BB gun in order to defend himself and his family. Really very very sad.

2. In another instance, several years ago, we suddenly had a couple of wanted thugs loose in our area, and I mean pretty close. My son was about 15 at the time. He's very gun responsible, safe and a darned good marksman. I wanted to check on our elderly neighbors and stay diligent in our little community so I left my son with instructions to lock the doors, don't go outside, remain vigilent, watch outside for any strangers walking around, if anything doesn't look right call 911 (deputies nearby) and then call me on our private radios. I armed him with my Model 19, I knew he would be fine, cool as a cucumber, and did exactly what he was told.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links