Etiquette vs. SA - Page 2

Etiquette vs. SA

This is a discussion on Etiquette vs. SA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purse 'carry' FTL, literally... Woman dragged in purse snatching - Bing Video President's daughters purse snatched - Bing Video Raw Video: Woman Fights for Purse ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etiquette vs. SA

Purse 'carry' FTL, literally...

Woman dragged in purse snatching - Bing Video
    President's daughters purse snatched - Bing Video
    Raw Video: Woman Fights for Purse

Having ones gun in their purse/satchel/briefcase/backpack/etc. is of zero good if and when you actually need it upon coming into contact with a threat, who very likely will key on to the purse/satchel/briefcase/backpack/etc. for the taking.

On body retained carry, concealed or open, resolves this thread problem entirely.

I would suggest walk on any side that is random, and to strongly suggest she invest in a proper holster system as attached to her body in some way.

- Galco
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Simple: pick the side of the street that allows her to be on your left and the street to your right. Now you've got all bases covered.

purse carry

I agree purse carry is risky in that it's usually the target, and a purse snatcher is liable to end up with your favorite EDC.

I would think though that if you were going to use this method, then cross body with a strong strap that can't be broken by a run by grab would be best.
    It seems to me that it might be eaiser to draw from cross body better also. With the purse on the strong side, just hung over the shoulder, I think most purse strap might carry the purse high enough that an extreme upward lift of the gun is required to clear the top of the purse. Her shoulder might not have the flexability to perform this manuver. Also a purse hanging down off the shoulder is more likely to swing out and not allow gun to come out cleanly. Cross ody the strap holds the purse tighter to the body, and most woman have better ability to reach across their body than barrel chested men do.
    Try reaching as far around your body as you can, then have your wife try it. Most men will not be able to reach the belt line at the 9:00 position, but most women will.

TedBeau,

Watch the videos I'd provided.
    What you want is a strap that does break easy...because otherwise you've got a strap wrapped around your body and neck (cross body) that does not release and you find yourself being taken to the ground and dragged unable to getup, get yourself away never mind reach the purse itself to access any tools what so ever.

This applys not just to women but to men too, and anyone who wears a sack/pack/purse of any type attached to ones body by a strap of what ever sort.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

GTV and 120mm:

Thanks for the history lessons.

It once again proves the adage:

"If you do not learn history, you are doomed to repeat it."

It's too bad politicians don't learn their history. Running our country is not place for On the Job Training.

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    TedBeau,

Watch the videos I'd provided.
    What you want is a strap that does break easy...because otherwise you've got a strap wrapped around your body and neck (cross body) that does not release and you find yourself being taken to the ground and dragged unable to getup, get yourself away never mind reach the purse itself to access any tools what so ever.

This applys not just to women but to men too, and anyone who wears a sack/pack/purse of any type attached to ones body by a strap of what ever sort.

- Janq
    Oh, I agree a strap that doesn't break is most likely going to get you knnocked to the ground, but at least your gun stays with you. Hopefully your able to access it from the ground. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but I think it's bette than giving guns to BG's.
    I believe the original scenario was husband and wife together on street, so if it's a single attacker, even if the wife gets pulled off her feet at least the husband is there to defend her until she can gt back up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links