I wonder

I wonder

This is a discussion on I wonder within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; after this happening what do you think the chances of walmart changing their policy about allowing employees to carry concealed if they are licensed? my ...

Thread: I wonder

I wonder

after this happening what do you think the chances of walmart changing their policy about allowing employees to carry concealed if they are licensed? my question to everyone and anyone who would like to comment. Had one of the employees been carrying concealed would it have mattered?

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/...hooting/97248/
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle

This event seems to have happened very fast, therefore I doughy a person with CC could have done much to have stopped the event.

JMHO YMMV
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by WSLS10 News, Roanoke, VA

Woman shot inside Galax Wal-Mart
    Updated Sunday, 6:30 p.m.

GALAX - Sunday, employees collected carts and customers bought groceries, but several hours earlier, the parking lot was littered with police cars and crime tape.

After police say 64-year-old A.G. Anderson approached Walmart employee, 57-year-old Rita Carico in the dairy section of the store and shot her. Galax Police say according to a witness’ statement, Carico started running away and Anderson continued shooting. She was hit in the chest and face. That’s when police say Anderson shot himself in the head.

“The person from the surveillance tape is actually having fired the shots and inflicting a gunshot wound on his self,” said Galax Police Chief Rick Clark.

He says there were about three to four hundred people inside Walmart at the time. Anderson was taken to North Carolina Baptist hospital where he later died. Police say other employees moved Carico to an office and tried to help her. She was flown to Carilion Roanoke Memorial hospital, where she is in serious condition.

“The store was locked down for a short period of time. We determined in a hurry that there was not a second active shooter in the store. We locked the store down in an attempt to keep witnesses to the crime in the store,” said Clark.

After police interviewed potential witnesses, managers reopened the store Sunday. One thing Walmart’s doing to keep things running smoothly is they’ve brought in visiting store managers to be additional help in the store.

Clark says Walmart is having a “trauma team” come in to help workers deal with everything that’s happened.

Outside, it appeared to be another day at Walmart, but for others, it’s a place where a brutal crime was committed.

Walmart Spokeswoman Ashley Hardi released this statement, “First and most importantly, our thoughts and prayers are with our associate and her family during this difficult time. We’ll continue to work with the Galax Police Department as they investigate. Any further details regarding the investigation should come from them.“

Police aren’t commenting on the relationship between Anderson and Carico.

————-

Updated: Sunday, 5 p.m.

GALAX - A gunman is dead, and a woman remains in serious condition, after being shot multiple times inside a local Wal-Mart store.

The Galax Police Chief tells WSLS, the alleged gunman 64-year-old A.G. Anderson of Galax came into the store, and shot 57-year-old Rita Carico of Galax in the chest and face, before turning the gun on himself.

Updated Sunday, 10:20 a.m.

GALAX - Galax Police Chief Rick Clark tells WSLS the female victim is an employee of the Wal-Mart.

As of midnight, she was listed in serious condition.

The male shooter is in critical condition.

Police say there were around 300 people in the store at the time of the shooting.

It happened in the dairy section.

Surveillance helped police determine there was only one shooter.

Wal-Mart is sending a trauma team to counsel employees.

———-

Sunday, 2:21 a.m.

GALAX - Galax Police responded to Wal-Mart around 10:00 p.m. Saturday night, after receiving a phone call of shots fired inside the store.

Galax Chief of Police Rick Clark tells WSLS that one woman was found with gunshot wounds in her chest and jaw. Rescue crews flew here to North Carolina Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem. There is no word yet on her condition.

Police also found a male suspect with a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He was also transported to NC Baptist Hospital with life threatening injuries.

Wal-Mart was locked down for a brief period, and will remain closed until the police investigation concludes.

Stay with wsls.com for any further updates on this story.
    I certainly don't think this will change Walmart policy towards employee's.

As far as other CCW citizens are concerned. Incidents like this play out pretty quickly. People bent on a murder/suicide type thing, especially in public, tend to end it as quickly as it started. They aren't usually looking for a confrontation or stand-off situation.

I doubt if most people would have a chance to observe what was going on, evaluate how do deal with it and respond in the time given before he shot himself.

I would have certainly been behind cover and attempting to evaluate what was happening and formulating an exit strategy before I even considered engaging someone in that type of situation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have been carrying concealed for about a year now and honestly it scares the hell out of me (pardon the language) just the type of personality i have if SHTF I don't run away from it I run towards it. It's like my brain just shuts down all rational thinking and goes into like auto drive and any concern for my safety just gets thrown out the window and my only concern is for the people around me.

I know that having a permit doesn't make me a freelance cop so im not saying that id draw at EVERY little instance just I hate sitting back and not doing anything when I know for a fact I could have done something.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle

Links