Need to use a stall...while carrying a fullsize pistol in summer...

This is a discussion on Need to use a stall...while carrying a fullsize pistol in summer... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Just curious what people do when they need to use the stall facilities (as a male) or I guess for any female. I typically ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to use a stall...while carrying a fullsize pistol in summer...

Hello,

Just curious what people do when they need to use the stall facilities (as a male) or I guess for any female. I typically carry a 1911 either government or commander sized or a Glock 22 or Glock 23. These I all normally carry IWB especially in summer. Since I have had the below incident happened I have always wondered if I should get a fanny pack holster carrier just for the trip to the john. Up until now, I use what one guy on another forum calls the Haines Hammock, that is just flip your holster (where does the muzzle go) into the hammock made by the crotch of your underwear, which is not much if you boxers like I do.

Situation:

I was driving back from an IDPA shoot in Tennessee back to Virginia and I stopped off at a fairly remote rest stop that was on Interstate, but near the TN/VA border and I had to use the facilities. I was shooting my Glock 35 for the shoot so for my carry and backup match piece I was using my Glock 22. The rest area was pretty empty so I figured, looks normal, lets go get this done and get back on the road. Well, after a few minutes I hear a diesel nearby, then lots of kids (young teens) voices and then the rest area is overcome by a tour group or field trip or something. Now, I didn't feel threatened nor were the kids doing anything to make me feel that way. What they were doing is looking for the next or soonest available toilet so that this massive crowd could all use the facilities. I got sort of freaked out when they started repeatedly knocking on the door and then looking under the stall to make sure someone was in there. Right before one of the kids stuck his head down there, I luckily thought to flip the G-22 into the hammock. I finished, washed hands and nothing happened, nor did I think it would from a threat perspective.

What could have happened? Well, what if that kid saw the pistol and then went screaming GUN GUN this guy has a GUN...

That is what has me concerned. What should I do when taking a dump and also what should I do when someone "prints" me. If the latter case happened, should I have stayed and waited for the cops? Why? I did nothing wrong.

Just curious about your thoughts.

Later, Lumpy.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    When nature calls and i have to use a public restroom, it depends on the holster i am wearing, shoulder holster obviously stays in place, if it is a single person restroom, this eliminates the problem and i place my weapon on the sink and lock the door, in a public restroom, i use the handicap stall and put my holster into the handrail, it is just big enough to hold my XDM and Blackhawk SERPA holster but small enough that it is tightly in there and will not fall. then when i am finished, i place my holster back on my belt and all is well
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

You might want to read this thread.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hen-ccing.html

1. Draw weapon and place on sturdy surface.

2. Drop pants.

3. Sit down.

4. Place firearm in-between legs in "pocket" formed by underwear with barrel pointed towards the bottom of the stall door.

5. Conclude business.

6. With weapon back on sturdy surface, dress and re-holster.

Anyone looking in will just see pants, and you can access the weapon quickly and easily with it already pointed at the only means of entry.

Eh, it's what I do.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    Whatever you do, don't hang it on a hook on the back of the door.

There are lots of stories about that here, bathroom stops can be tough to deal with. Seems like I remember reading some guy dropped his pistol in the stall and it slid to the adjoining stall, where the user there slid the pistol back to the owner with his foot.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Lots of threads on this subject.......use your 'google-fu' grasshopper.

For topics sake, using the urinal is no biggie. The sidearm stays covered.....just utilize the zipper and don't unbuckle your britches.

For a number duce, EvilMonk's SOP is the same I follow.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If someone looks under the door and sees a gun on my lap, I'm not really concerned...they can run and yell gun all they want.
    I'll deal with that after the paperwork is done!OMO

911...What is the nature of your emergency?

Caller...I was peeking under the stall in a bathroom and this guy was , and he had a gun sitting on his lap. It was very scary!

911...Click!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If someone looks under the door and sees a gun on my lap, I'm not really concerned...they can run and yell gun all they want.
    I'll deal with that after the paperwork is done!OMO

911...What is the nature of your emergency?

Caller...I was peeking under the stall in a bathroom and this guy was , and he had a gun sitting on his lap. It was very scary!

911...Click!
    That is funny.....and probably pretty accurate.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thanks for the responses.

I will try to use the search more often but I will promise everyone that if it doesn't work quite right I will post a new thread and then be told where the threads were. This time I will admit I didn't use the search function.

The main reason was it was about using the bathroom but the second part, which probably could have been its own thread, was what to do if someone, in my case a kid on a school field trip, yells GUN.

The story above was amusing (911 operator hanging up), but in this school shooting day and age, I doubt that it would have been taken lightly. The second question was what to do in that case? Perhaps because the state I was in is CCW friendly, it may not have been an issue, although even in CCW states some LEOs agree with it and some don't.

If a kid would have yelled gun and then I got in my car and drove off I am sure someone would have called the highway patrol or state police equivalent and I would have been pulled over in a more than typical speeding ticket fashion, possibly. This situation I would want to avoid.

Sometimes with Google and Search, I find too many things related but nothing that answers exactly what I am looking for. In this case, I wasn't specific enough about the questions at hand.

Oh well. Thanks for all the ideas and help.

Later, Lumpy.

Hmm...interesting....I guess they would ask for your permit? Everything has to be in context...and that's what the PD will be investigating if you are stopped.

As long as you exercise due diligence in maintaining control over your weapon, whether OC or CC, there is nothing you can do to control what someone else does or does not do. Analysis paralysis--working scenarios over and over in your head to the point where you limit yourself as to where you can/should carry or not carry or not carry at all based on a perceived notion what someone else might do if they see your gun.

Stay within the boundaries of the law, use good equipment and judgment and you won't have a problem 99% of the time. That 1%?...IMO, small stuff--don't sweat it because there is nothing you can do about it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just don't tap your foot near the next stall.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Whatever you do, don't hang it on a hook on the back of the door.

There are lots of stories about that here, bathroom stops can be tough to deal with. Seems like I remember reading some guy dropped his pistol in the stall and it slid to the adjoining stall, where the user there slid the pistol back to the owner with his foot.
    Did he use the "left" foot????

If you are using an IWB holster, why do you need to do anything with the gun or holster when using the bathroom? I carry a Glock 17 day to day in an IWB holster. When I have to "sit down" I spread my feet out a little bit to provide some tension and the weapon and holster stay in place between my calf and the pants/belt. If someone were to look onto the stall, the weapon is mostly obscured by my leg/toilet/pants. In the unlikely event that there were to be a threat, I can still access it easily.

Anyway....it works for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy McSoo View Post

The main reason was it was about using the bathroom but the second part, which probably could have been its own thread, was what to do if someone, in my case a kid on a school field trip, yells GUN.

If a kid would have yelled gun and then I got in my car and drove off I am sure someone would have called the highway patrol or state police equivalent and I would have been pulled over in a more than typical speeding ticket fashion, possibly. This situation I would want to avoid.

Later, Lumpy.
    I think I would have finished my business, then calmy and non threatenly exited the rest room. If someone said anything, I would have politly said. "I an not a threat and am legally licensed to carry a gun by this state and the constitution of the United States."

If everything seemed OK I would just go a head and leave.

I don't see the point of waiting for police to show up. If they do get a man with gun call, they can always stop me on the highway if need be. Hopefully if they did get a call the operator would be able to tell that it was not a "brandishing" situation and just tell the call that as long as the gun was not being pointed at anyone it was (probably)legal to have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links