Story of a lucky victim

Story of a lucky victim

This is a discussion on Story of a lucky victim within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man working in yard finds burglars in home - TwinCities.com Man working in yard finds burglars in home Three charged after suspects flee By Frederick ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paymeister

Thread: Story of a lucky victim

Story of a lucky victim

Man working in yard finds burglars in home - TwinCities.com
    Man working in yard finds burglars in home
    Three charged after suspects flee
    By Frederick Melo
    fmelo@pioneerpress.com
    Updated: 05/03/2010 11:47:52 PM CDT

South St. Paul police have identified four suspects in a recent home invasion and are on the lookout for a fifth.

Working closely with the St. Paul Police Department, South St. Paul police arrested Michael Ray Vaughn, 47, of St. Paul, and Damarcus Barnett, 25, of St. Paul, in connection with a burglary that occurred at 10 a.m. Wednesday at a home in the 2000 block of Second Street North.

The Dakota County attorney's office on Friday charged Vaughn and Barnett with first-degree burglary, a felony, and aiding and abetting a fifth-degree assault, a misdemeanor.

They also charged Veronica Tishauna Edwards, 22, with aiding an offender after the fact, a felony.

The charges state a man was working in his back yard when his dog began to bark at the back door. The man spotted a maroon sport utility vehicle in the front driveway and went upstairs to his son's room, where he found one of the home invaders.

The two struggled, and two more suspects appeared, the criminal complaint states. One began hitting the victim in the back of the head. The four suspects then fled the residence in the SUV with a Dell laptop computer, a Sony camera, containers of change and collectible coins.

The victim was able to get a partial license plate number, and police later stopped the SUV at a traffic stop. The driver, Edwards, initially denied knowing anything about the burglary. Police, however, found several collectible coins in the back seat and a court notice for Barnett.

They quickly caught up with a fourth suspect, who was questioned but has yet to be charged. Police have yet to identify the fifth suspect.
    Vaughn and Barnett are being held at the Dakota County Jail in lieu of $70,000 bail, and Edwards is at the Ramsey County Jail in lieu of $5,000 bail.

imo, he couldn't have done much more wrong and is lucky to be alive

Had the victim been armed (many here preach being armed at home for just this reason), he would easily have feared for his life......
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This guy is lucky he wasn't hurt or killed.

Something similar happened to one of my coworkers. She lived alone at the time, was mowing her backyard, and had left her garage door open.

A couple gypsies (yes, actual gypsies, part of a gypsy gang) entered her house through her garage door and stole some stuff. Not sure if her garage-to-house door was locked or not.

She saw them, called the police, police caught the gypsies. They eventually went to court and were convicted, but it took around a year.

When I mow my back yard, my garage door is down.

When I mow my front yard, my rear sliding basement door is locked.

I've been around too many thieves in my life to trust a random stranger.

Locking a door, or shutting a garage door, is not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

Something similar happened to one of my coworkers. She lived alone at the time, was mowing her backyard, and had left her garage door open.

A couple gypsies (yes, actual gypsies, part of a gypsy gang) entered her house through her garage door and stole some stuff. Not sure if her garage-to-house door was locked or not.

She saw them, called the police, police caught the gypsies. They eventually went to court and were convicted, but it took around a year.

And I carry a pistola with me while I mow.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Pay attention folks! There ARE those of us that advocate staying armed while at home...This is just a prime example...I personally take my own advice, even sitting here and perusing the forum...I am armed as we speak, front door is open, beautiful day outside, but you NEVER know what's happening in the next instant... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Wow and some wonder why I carry even while walking pebbles

VIP Member

Guarding the garage door

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

Because it is so hot here half the year, we tend to leave the garage door open almost all the time during daylight hours if we are at home.

We keep two security cameras on in there.

Harbor Freight sells infrared driveway wireless alert systems for practically nothing. The 9 volt battery and 3 C cells are about half the price of the gizmo.

What we have done, and it seems to work quite well, is we put the infrared detector on one wall of the garage, focused across the garage door so it picks up and alerts on any entry to the garage.

We have a steel door between the garage and the kitchen which is ALWAYS locked unless we are in the front yard. Our side door entry/exit from the garage is just an old screen door, but I screwed steel bars to the frame and it is locked with a light weight combo lock.

Someone who casually enters the garage can't get into the house or into the back yard. Someone in the back yard can't get into the garage.

I'm considering adding 4 or 5 more of these exterior detectors around the perimeter of the house.

They aren't a full fledged professional alarm system, by no means, but they should give at least a few seconds heads up on any unwanted lurkers. And, since they don't set off a continuous alarm or summon the police, they aren't as much of a potential nuisance.

I like the idea of exterior detection. Glass break and intrusion alarms are fine, but the typical interior infrared motion detector only works once someone is inside-- and then its too late.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Pay attention folks! There ARE those of us that advocate staying armed while at home...This is just a prime example...I personally take my own advice, even sitting here and perusing the forum...I am armed as we speak, front door is open, beautiful day outside, but you NEVER know what's happening in the next instant... JMO
    I do as well. Got my 442 in my pocket as I type. I also have it in my pocket while I mow, walk the dog, get the mail, take out the trash, etc. I'm getting too old to run up the hill back to the house.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I have the same old questions,

"Where do most home invasions take place?

Why not carry at home 24/7?

Seems so simple.

Capt. Art

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    ...Why not carry at home 24/7?...
    Well, the way I dress around the house sometimes, it might require a fair amount of duct tape:

Attached thumbnails:
    photo1.jpg photo2.jpg photo3.jpg
    oldnfat likes this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ^^^^ did I scare you?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

This is exactly why I was thinking of getting a Glock 36. I wanted something light enough to carry while mowing during the hot and humid Virgina summers and also something to carry around the house for late night or early morning when I wasn't carrying my normal carry pieces (Glock 23 or Commander 1911 for smaller carry or Glock 22 or full size government).

Now the Glock 23 and Glock 36 are pretty similar in size but for in the house or mow carry, I probably would carry with only one extra mag, maybe two at most. WIth the G23, I carry 2 15 rounders as extras and the officers sized grip commander, two, three, or even four extra mags.

I think the G-36 may be the way to go for light carry, well, at least for me. There are times that an all steel 1911 does get heavy by the end of the day, but once off and in the house, putting the G-36 on with my "comfy pants" sweats or whatever, would also be a good idea.

Thanks for the information. Later, Lumpy

Sponsored Links