So the doorbell rings at 3:45

This is a discussion on So the doorbell rings at 3:45 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not open the door during the day, let alone 4 am!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So the doorbell rings at 3:45

I do not open the door during the day, let alone 4 am!

2. Remove Ads

When i was a kid, we had a drunk cowboy beating on our front door at 2:30 one morning. My dad answered the front door and tried to help the ol boy out..but he was bad drunk and started trying to open the front door...he sobered up very fast when that big shiny pistol got stuck between his eyes...he started saying "I'm drunk!!! Please dont kill me!!!" over and over..he left so fast he left a nice stetson hat!!! I hope that boy woke up the next morning and realized how close he came to death...my old man would have killed him if he had taken another step.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Cab driver should have asked for a driver's license prior to picking up the drunk! She put herself in a dangerous situation, what if when you opened the door the drunk had decided to force his way inside? This could have gone bad on several different levels!
    I agree it could have been bad,had he acted stupid.
    If he would have tried to force his way in,he would've had 14 165 gr.HST's for breakfast. As an officer once told me "when we show up to a home invasion, all we need is a body, and there's a good chance you sleep in your bed tonight" I liked his quote
    Got to love a Castle doctrine

I know it's hard to trust anyone these days,but I never got the slightest feeling me or my family was in danger or I wouldn't have opened the door. I'm pretty good at trusting my gut, and most of the time it's right.
    I also trust my dog and my USP if for some reason I was wrong..they had my back..
    My main concern was this poor lady having to deal with zombie boy on Mothers day.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think getting drunks home is item #5 in the Taxi Driver Handbook?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If I don't know ya, I'm not opening the door any time.......

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I think getting drunks home is item #5 in the Taxi Driver Handbook?
    And what is items 1,2,3 and 4?

Or do I want to know that?

Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    It's a nice neighborhood and, I had a full view of both hands and profiled some. I had my USP in my right hand,a dog itching to get out behind me and the door opened 6" so I felt safe.
    I mainly wanted to know was anything wrong, but I should have noticed the cab earlier.
    I'll help a neighbor out if they need it.
    It's a nice neighborhood until the 300 lb behemoth hiding out of sight sends his boot full force into the door, breaking your toes and sending you on your rump.

Talk through the window next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    It's a nice neighborhood until the 300 lb behemoth hiding out of sight sends his boot full force into the door, breaking your toes and sending you on your rump.

Talk through the window next time.
    There was no where for a 300lb anything to hide, and I had irkel and his mom covered.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Ok, here's my 3am story from last year.

First off, let me say that we live in an upper middle class neighborhood. I'm 30 and probably the youngest in the area. We don't have problems here unless someone leaves a garbage can in view on a day they don't collect or your tree limbs are below 6'6" over the sidewalks, etc.

Then, all of a sudden there are a few home invasions. Well, my wife and I fall asleep on the couch watching a movie. At about 2:30am she wakes me saying she thought someone rang the doorbell. I look and there's nothing, assumed she was dreaming. About 3am I hear the doorbell ring rapidly at least 5 or 6 times.

I jumped up and grabbed my 1911 and my E2D LED which were in the end table since we were watching TV then fell asleep. Now, the alarm is set and the door is locked. It has the lock on the handle, a dead bolt with a key hole on the outside and a second dead bolt that can only be locked or unlocked from the inside. This is a solid Knotty Alder door with 4 slim windows with iron (spaced out so you can not reach through after breaking the glass) down the right side.

I look out the peephole but it's blacked out as if something's over it. So, I look out the side windows and flip the porch light on, which should never be off. It won't come on. I could see something was there, it was not small and it was low to the ground. I motion to my wife to turn the TV off and get into our bedroom and lock the door. Our bedroom is on the ground level right past the living room and the kids rooms and guest room are upstairs. At this point I'm getting amped up because something is clearly wrong. I move away from the door (I was standing beside it to the right and to the right of the small windows. I ran to the bedroom and grabbed the AR since these past few home invasions they were wearing kevlar vests and a couple guys were arrested with then and rifles in their cars. (This also happened the other day after another home invasion and a tip led to a house, they had armor, AR15s and AKs and $300,000 worth of meth.)

At this point the adrenaline is pulsing through my veins and things are really getting intense. I gave my wife the phone. She had a 1911. I had her move upstairs to my daughters room and take her into my sons room and lock the door.

This is where I got stupid. I've been to MANY classes and I KNOW what one is supposed to do. But, I decided to do it my way. I went out the door from our bedroom on to the patio. I had my AR with a Surefire mounted. I went through my backyard, over the gate and around the house to the front. I moved slowly towards the front entry which is a large opening but deep and semi enclosed. Everything told me to stay inside and call the police, but who listens to logic??

When I finally pie out from the front wall to the entry way and flip on the light there it is. A freakin huge green garbage can that someone filled more than halfway with water, somehow wheeled to my house and LEANED against my front door.

Had I opened the door all of that water would have crashed into our foyer and probably into the front living room (or "conversation nook" as my wife calls it). It would have caused a huge mess.

Now, I know I did things wrong, but I'm kind of glad I did. That would have been a huge mess. I get along with most people, so I have no idea why our house was chosen, but this is not the best time for pranks, especially in Texas!

Anyway, you never know who is ringing your bell or what their intentions are. Just thought I'd share my little experience.

I know what COULD have happened had a patrol driven by, etc., etc. The officers that patrol our area pretty much know us all by name and I shared the experience with one of them a few months later.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

jon:

Had you had any indication of pranks like this going on?

It seems like the outcome could have been really bad if you acted differently?

No indication at all. One of my neighbor's doors had been kicked in a few weeks before while he and his wife were sleeping. He didn't realize it had happened until the next morning and nothing was missing. He never sets his alarm, but that changed pretty quickly.

This was the first prank I heard of in the 5 years I've lived there next to some toilet paper in the trees of a couple neighbors from a rival HS football team.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
    Nothing good ever happens after 11:00
    Sorry to hear that.

Interesting story. Glad it turned out OK.

We've had a few crazy callers over the years even though we have lived in nice neighborhoods in Seattle.

First time, escaped mental patient rings our doorbell then hides outside waiting for my wife. Luckily she sees him and calls 911.

Second time, some crazy ******* follows me home at 3am after a late night at work, claiming I had paintballed his house. He had apparently mistaken my car for some kids I saw take off in the other direction. What's worse is I thought it was my business partner in his Suburban and didn't twig until this guy was right in my face. Nothing came of it except me realizing how stupid I was to confront him.

Third time, my wife is home alone and answers the door thinking that it's me. She was taking care of our terminally ill dog at the time and she was strung out with little sleep. Two guys who are trying to sell something are outside the door, and she realizes her mistake - goes to close the door *and the guy sticks his folder into the door to stop her* . She slammed the door and was OK but shaken.

Now we have a cast iron rule - never open the door until you have used the intercom, even if you are expecting someone. When we remodelled we also removed all the glass at the front of the house to improve our privacy dramatically, and installed a video intercom.

Here is what I have now:

Solid steel Neoporte door with no glass. These doors are very expensive but also intimidating and no BG in his right mind is going to try and kick it in.

Neoporte Modern Door | Stainless Steel Entry Systems (this one has a glass window next to it which mine does not)

Aiphone video intercom system that stores last 20 pictures. This was super useful for the local brat who thought it was funny to ring doorbells after midnight.

Residential - Family Safety

Still, nothing gets my heart racing like a late night doorbell. As stated above - no good can come of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links