He called it, "taking control of the situation"

This is a discussion on He called it, "taking control of the situation" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bsrman36 That's easy: shooting it. refusing to back down or realize that you (he) is doing something incredibly stupid. True enough, but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: He called it, "taking control of the situation"

Quote Originally Posted by bsrman36 View Post
    That's easy: shooting it. refusing to back down or realize that you (he) is doing something incredibly stupid.
    True enough, but I believe OP's friend would have been justified at the point the guy swung his weapon around with apparently hostile intent, to shoot him.
    The indoor range I use about once a month has a video camera. The whole thing would have been caught on tape. Case closed.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    A quick "someone's downrange" would've diffused the situation w/o escalating it and risking a "drawing on a drawn gun" situation. Even a jerk like that would understand what was going on.

Would changing his phrasing for "stop shooting" changed the way that knuckle head acted? NO! Telling him some one is down range obviously wouldn't make a difference b/c he ended up pointing a gun a some one anyway! A ceasefire is a basic safety function of the range. If you don't know that then you (he) shouldn't be at the range.

When most people turn to address/confront another, whatever is in their hands stay in their hands - human nature. In this case it was extremely stupid, but a natural act.

What?

I agree with the opinion that if you honestly feel drawing your gun in that situation is the right call, you fire immediately; otherwise is an overblown chest pounding contest. After the range was cleared, call the cops and have them pick the guy up for assault with a deadly weapon.
    So you're saying submit to a guy pointing a loaded weapon at you? No thanks.
    "A contest" are you kidding? wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    True enough, but I believe OP's friend would have been justified at the point the guy swung his weapon around with apparently hostile intent, to shoot him.

Indeed. But as stated elsewhere he chose not to.

The indoor range I use about once a month has a video camera. The whole thing would have been caught on tape. Case closed.
    Too bad it was an outside range.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Ceasefire means ceasefire, doesn't matter who calls it, there is a reason, 2nd individual might not like it, doesn't matter if he does or doesn't, no explaination is needed, ceasefire is ceasefire irregardless of the reason, argue the reason if it's B.S. later without pointing a gun and telling someone that they can't tell you to do anything, he doesn't belong at a gun range let alone have a gun in his possession if that's his type of freakin attitude that no one can tell him what to do.

Your friend, made the right call, should have called the dang cops and filed charges on the A-Hole in my book.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    the shooter with the Glock (no negative reflection on other Glock owners ) was a fool who obviously gets his daily shot of testosterone form his big bad weapon........

It seems to me that while "Glock-man" was an unmitigated fool, your friend had several options. One option would be to, as earlier stated, try to defuse the situation--this may have been the wisest course of action, but then, how much do we want to trust the "good judgment" or the possilbe backing-down of "Glock-man" when he has already amply demonstrated his foolishness

Tough call............
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    nedrgr21 agree with the part of people turn hands turn with them part of the post but in this case it was followed with "You dont tell me what to do MOFO" and now not just turning with the gun in hand but pointing the weapon that is an intentional act not an accident.
    In regards to the OP the guy was lucky drawing when you have to draw against the pointed gun you are already behind.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I see two lucky people here.

Your friend, for not getting shot, and the Glock moron for being able to continue to inhale and exhale oxygen. This example, the moron with the Glock, is why I avoid public ranges.

CEASE FIRE MEANS CEASE FIRE!

It doesn't matter who calls the cease fire order, it is to be followed without question. Anybody can call cease fire, because anybody can see or notice a dangerous situation down range that the Rangemaster may not.

FWIW, if you point a gun at me, accompanied with the words that the Glock moron used, I may not be so inclined to talk myself. I view a deadly threat as just that, deadly. I can't tell you how I would have responded, as I was not there, but I can tell you that shooting the Glock moron was one of the valid options on the table.

Biker

Crazy situation, but just verifies my recent choice to keep a loaded gun around at the range. I used to just put the guns on the table and leave them unloaded until I was shooting them. Currently, I keep my EDC on my hip loaded while shooting other firearms. If I am shooting my EDC, well it's already loaded and ready to use anyway. And there is always a full mag on my weak side. I've definitely wondered about some of the folks I have seen at the range.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

[QUOTE=Guardian;1611932]Ceasefire means ceasefire, doesn't matter who calls it, there is a reason, 2nd individual might not like it, doesn't matter if he does or doesn't, no explaination is needed, ceasefire is ceasefire .....

Your friend, made the right call, should have called the dang cops and filed charges on the A-Hole in my book.[/QUOTE]

Concur. There more to the story and I'd like to hear the Paul Harvey version.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds like a range I want to stay away from. Too much testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

Concur. There more to the story and I'd like to hear the Paul Harvey version.
    Agreed on both points....With you and Biker.

This is reason # 369 why when at _any_ public range I will not train with my carry gun and instead keep it at my side as I'd walked in, and use a second gun as brought in cased to train with.
    A visual deterrent (if OC) to morons to keep their mind right, as well as being an item of active safety.

That the OP recalls the details of what happened leading up to the story but cannot recall the resolution gives me pause, as a reader.
    For a story such as this knowing the ending is just as important if not more so than that of the beginning.

I have though IRL seen people show up at public ranges and a private shooting event as;
    * Shooting sideways TV/movie gangsta style
    * Point shooting TV/movie cowboy style (including pushing the gun foreward with each shot!)
    * Wearing as exterior clothing fashion a bullet resistant torso cover, with _no trauma/ballistic plate_ [I don't think the guy knew this or understood how those things work]
    * Shooting shotguns both stock and pistol grip using one hand with arm extended
    * Shooting handguns at no target/berm _reeeeally fast_ for no clear reason but to hear it go bang

All of the above I choose to pack up my gear and leave for the day...And/or report the persons to facility staff when they have been around.
    I've yet to see a person call a 'cease fire', and I hope that trend continues.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    In regards to the OP the guy was lucky drawing when you have to draw against the pointed gun you are already behind.
    This was the first thing I thought about, the fact that the idiot already had his gun pointed at the OP's friend. The very act of drawing, or since I think we could assume the friends gun ws already in hand, the act of raising it towards the idiot could well have pushed him over the edge and caused a gun fight to insue. If the idiot was so upset about having to stop shooting that he resorted to obsentities he could well be unstable enough to start firing at anyone willing to stand up to him.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    wow he pointed a gun at someone while at a gun range....the lack of intelligence.... He is lucky there wasn't a range instructor there... he would have been taken down the instant pointed the muzzle at someone.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    That the OP recalls the details of what happened leading up to the story but cannot recall the resolution gives me pause, as a reader.For a story such as this knowing the ending is just as important if not more so than that of the beginning.
    - Janq
    Agree 100% ALMOST READY TO THROW THE FLAG
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The Range Master was in the right. The shooter seems to be a very careless person with a gun and has a very nasty attitude and should be banned from the range for his total disregard for the other shooter's safety. The Range Master had every right to draw on the shooter sense the shooter's gun was aimed his way and because of the threatening attitude. The shooter sounds like he mat have been on something.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links