He called it, "taking control of the situation"

This is a discussion on He called it, "taking control of the situation" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by fox2102 Anytime someone points a loaded gun at me in an aggressive manner my gun is coming out. I'd agree. The range ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: He called it, "taking control of the situation"

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    Anytime someone points a loaded gun at me in an aggressive manner my gun is coming out.
    I'd agree.

The range I frequent is one where a woman rented a gun and committed suicide. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but when I go to the range, I don't trust anyone as anyone could be the next nut job to commit suicide, but may want to take a few others with them. I watch/observe everyone that's there. If I get a bad vibe, I'm outta there.

I don't feel safe around people with bad safety/firearm handling practices either. This range has thick, bullet proof glass separating the lanes. During a session a while back, a guy had a problem with his Glock and it didn't fire for some reason. He leans it over, pulls the trigger and BAM, right into the glass. I packed up and left.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    During a session a while back, a guy had a problem with his Glock and it didn't fire for some reason. He leans it over, pulls the trigger and BAM, right into the glass. I packed up and left.
    I think I would find a new range, and I would have been out the door with you.

What strikes me strange is you don't mention anything about any Range Officers? Most Have to have them,were were they?Seems to me if they were there both people would have been removed from the range by the police!

I would probably have ventilated him profusely,you point a loaded gun at me and that is a deadly threat,try pointing a gun at a cop and see what happens
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    I'd agree.

The range I frequent is one where a woman rented a gun and committed suicide. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but when I go to the range, I don't trust anyone as anyone could be the next nut job to commit suicide, but may want to take a few others with them. I watch/observe everyone that's there. If I get a bad vibe, I'm outta there.

I don't feel safe around people with bad safety/firearm handling practices either. This range has thick, bullet proof glass separating the lanes. During a session a while back, a guy had a problem with his Glock and it didn't fire for some reason. He leans it over, pulls the trigger and BAM, right into the glass. I packed up and left.
    cz75:

How many times does a person have to act so carelessly before they are asked to leave?

Capt. Art

I am so glad I can shoot in my back yard or go to any one of a hundred spots to shoot, including a couple of informal out door ranges no one else is ever at. These range stories just plain suck
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    My take is if your friend really thought the guy was a threat he should have shot when he pulled his weapon if he didn't he should not have pulled it.

Yup. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf Girl View Post
    Ahhh geez.... someone practicing his "thug skillz"

I'm always aware of who is shooting at the range with me.... indoor and/or outdoor. If I see something that looks off or not quite right... I skidattle on out of there. I once saw a guy talking to himself..... in an angry voice.... I packed up and left and on the way out told the guy manning the range counter that he might want to keep an eye on the guy.

Firearms and wackadoodles just don't mix... best to hightail it
    He was just angry that his sights werent shooting where they were suppose to =)
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I realize this is a slightly dated post but I think I may have something to contribute.

It's unclear from the post whether or not the shooter pointed the pistol intentionally or not; the way the story is told it appears intentional, but we must remember the OP got it second hand. Also unsaid is the distance between the two persons. This would affect the options. There is no mention of rangemaster’s actions or if there was a rangemaster! Finally, there is no mention of a final outcome of the incident. What is clear is the following:

1. Range safety violation by pistol not pointed downrange.
    2. Shooter not adequately trained regarding cease-fire command.
    3. No shots fired.
    4. Cops not called.

So, what can we take from this? Training, training, training!

1. Expect the unexpected.
    2. Think through as many scenarios as we can in advance. This will allow us to see our best options as we do our analysis while not under pressure.
    3. Always train. Not just shooting but all the ancillary skills such as weapon retention, de-escalation, disarms and hand-to-hand skills (perhaps a favored option when up close against a drawn and pointed gun).
    4. The psychology of controlling the situation. Cops do this every day and we can learn a lot from them. Hanging out at some of the LEO web site forums can be very instructive.

We try to make clearer the shoot / don’t shoot decision in a world that seldom presents us with such black or white options. There’s a lot of gray area and God forbid that I shoot when I shouldn’t or don’t shoot when I should.

In the final analysis, everybody went home alive and that means something went right!

What your friend did was probably a good choice for him, but it would have been a poor choice for me, for two reasons:

1. I'm a salesman by trade. and;
    2. I'm a terrible shot...meaning I woulda had a better chance of talking my way out of it than shooting my way out of it with a guy who was already pointing his gun in my direction.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    A gun is pointed at me or anyone else, he is gonna get what he deserve. You treat him exactly just like a common criminal.

It could've turned out differently.
    Scenario #1: Friend draws, Glockman shoots friend, friend dies.
    Scenario #2: Friend draws, Glockman doesn't shoot first, but doesn't comply. Friend shoots Glockman, Glockman dies. Friend needs $25,000 for lawyer. Friend gets off. Scenario #3: Friend draws, Glockman doesn't shoot first, but doesn't comply. Friend shoots Glockman, Glockman dies. Friend gets 6 years.
    Scenario #4: Friend draws, Glockman doesn't shoot first, but doesn't comply. Friend doesn't shoot. Friend tackles Glockman. Another range shooter shoots both.
    That your friend was comfortable drawing his weapon without shooting says he didn't feel he was in immediate danger, but rather was "restoring order", which he likely wasn't legally authorized to do by pointing a weapon. If he felt his life was in danger, he would've shot. He likely drew to exercise authority. Bad idea.

If you have justification to shoot, you have justification to draw. The justification for lethal force does not negate the use of lesser force.
    He chose to give the idiot one chance to remain among the living. The idiot took it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links