He called it, "taking control of the situation"

This is a discussion on He called it, "taking control of the situation" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My buddy (a very well trained military man and defensive instructor) was at the range one day when a person said he thought he saw ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

My buddy (a very well trained military man and defensive instructor) was at the range one day when a person said he thought he saw something downrange. My friend instinctively called "ceasefire."

Before I go on, one of the shooters on the line was a man shooting a Glock sideways with no safety protection. That man upon hearing the call for a ceasefire promptly turned toward my friend with the loaded handgun, pointed it and said "Man! you don't [explitive] tell me what the ____ to do!"
    Before he spit all his words out my friends pistol out and he was yelling at the guy to put his pistol down, get on the ground, cross legs, fold your hands above your head or he will shoot.

Now I think its one thing to read a story on the internet and another to hear it from a friend. The story had me well, dumbfounded I guess. Take what you want from this story but here's what I got:

He either had two choices: calmly ask the man to point his firearm down range and take the chance of getting shot w/o defending himself or do exactly what he did. I debated with myself whether what he did was the right thing. I reasoned out later on he did do the right thing. Whatever choice, he was still at a risk for being shot. The logical choice was to draw his firearm.
    Last edited by bsrman36; May 9th, 2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: edit

Absolutely, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression, He made his point and did what needed done, anyone who can't respect the rules does not deserve to be treated like those who do follow them.

As a child when I did something wrong, I got yelled at, if I continued, I got a butt whoopin, well same thing just a much more serious paddle.

Good story.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Difficult situation to evaluate.

Did your friend think that he was under attack?

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post

Exactly... and in situations like that you don't get a whole lot of time to evaluate it.

Not a whole lot of options when you have an unknown man pointing a gun at you while flippin you crap.

I'd say he obviously handled it correctly.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What did the guy do?

Did he get down on the ground or keep giving crap to the rangemaster?

Someone who is pointing/gesturing with a loaded pistol and using language is not at that instant attacking but is preparing to. I don't know if he was under attack but he was most certainly threatened. I thought that was pretty clear cut and dry.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with your question. To me, being threatened prompts action before being attacked.
    That is how things progress in similar situations. Some pull out a firearm and it usually escalates from there. Why else would he point it at someone?

I'm sorry if this comes across as brash b/c I don't mean it to :/

What did the guy do?

Did he get down on the ground or keep giving crap to the rangemaster?
    If I remember correctly, he got kind of scared-ish b/c he clearly saw that my buddy wasn't messing around and he was ready to fight
    The guy set his pistol down or pointed it down range. I forget which.
    Here's the best part: he wanted to argue about basic range safety until he was asked if we wanted the cops to come and settle it He obviously doesn't get it.

You know I got to range all the time and never considered it as a likely place to encounter a threat. I know that may sound stupid at first b/c every one has a gun. Usually that means that things are civil when every one has a gun and they have some form of safety education.
    Last edited by bsrman36; May 9th, 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: edit

Can't really fault your friend here. So what ultimately happened to this guy, did he get permanently banned from the range? If not, I would be looking for a new place to patronize as quickly as possible.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

My take is if your friend really thought the guy was a threat he should have shot when he pulled his weapon if he didn't he should not have pulled it.

Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    Can't really fault your friend here. So what ultimately happened to this guy, did he get permanently banned from the range? If not, I would be looking for a new place to patronize as quickly as possible.
    I didn't ask. The story was part of my training for that range session. I didn't ask b/c I was more interested in evaluating the encounter than what happened to the guy. I wanted to know every detail of the situation.

So much can learned from others experiences. Someone else's experience is knowledge we can use as a weapon to one day maybe save our own life. "We ultimately fight with our minds"

I live in a more rural area. Most clubs in surrounding counties are outdoor and are "come and go as you please." No range officers or range masters present, just you and the occasional other shooter.
    Last edited by bsrman36; May 9th, 2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: edit

If I remember correctly, he got kind of scared-ish b/c he clearly saw that my buddy was messing around and he was ready to fight
    Is this what you meant to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    My take is if your friend really thought the guy was a threat he should have shot when he pulled his weapon if he didn't he should not have pulled it.
    You know I had that exact thought too. But things happen so fast and when you see someone even for a split second pointing a gun you act.
    I'm not even going to guess why he chose not to shoot.

I think it is safe to say that if that guy would have presented further signs of aggression he would have been fired upon. But he submitted very quickly if not instantly.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bsrman36 View Post
    You know I had that exact thought too. But things happen so fast and when you see someone even for a split second pointing a gun you act.
    I'm not even going to guess why he chose not to shoot.

I think it is safe to say that if that guy would have presented further signs of aggression he would have been fired upon. But he submitted very quickly if not instantly.
    Just how much more aggressive can you be than pointing a loaded weapon at someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Just how much more aggressive can you be than pointing a loaded weapon at someone?
    That's easy: shooting it. refusing to back down or realize that you (he) is doing something incredibly stupid.

A quick "someone's downrange" would've diffused the situation w/o escalating it and risking a "drawing on a drawn gun" situation. Even a jerk like that would understand what was going on.

When most people turn to address/confront another, whatever is in their hands stay in their hands - human nature. In this case it was extremely stupid, but a natural act.

I agree with the opinion that if you honestly feel drawing your gun in that situation is the right call, you fire immediately; otherwise is an overblown chest pounding contest. After the range was cleared, call the cops and have them pick the guy up for assault with a deadly weapon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links