Census Takers Warning

This is a discussion on Census Takers Warning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now, with census takers stopping by interview people, criminals have a whole other avenue to exploit in order to gain access to your home ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Census Takers Warning

Census Takers Warning

Right now, with census takers stopping by interview people, criminals have a whole other avenue to exploit in order to gain access to your home and I just urge everyone here to remind their friends and family that they need to take extreme caution opening their front door to ANYONE. I have already heard of two different instances of criminals gaining access by passing themselves off as census takers. Spread the word to those you know and love.

Census Bureau Provides Tips After Killing - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

KTCameraman

2. Remove Ads

There's nothing they need that can't be done through the door. No one comes in without a warrant and a badge.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Here in Arkansas there are commercials running on the TV saying that census workers will not request to come into the house, that they will conduct their interview through the door or outside the door, and they will also properly identify themselves with an ID card as well.

I know the ID card can be phonied up, but its pretty cut and dry that they will not request to enter the household.

X

So, do you think it was a good idea for my local Goodwill to be selling those "2010 Census" hats? I nearly fell over when I saw them, then thought about buying one. The first thing I thought of was a crook making a uniform out of it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I know this will sound dumb but I am not in the states but do they do the mail in census and the door to door.
    My wife got the mail in one done and sent off should she expect a visit?
    Ximat1 we are almost neighbors when I am home I live close to you.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I know this will sound dumb but I am not in the states but do they do the mail in census and the door to door.
    They will only come out if you did not send the form back or did not fill it out fully or properly.
    Myself, I answered the questions that were important.
    1. How many people live here.
    The rest is none of thier business or is public record, if you want to know, look it up!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you mailed the form back, this wouldn't be an issue for you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    There's nothing they need that can't be done through the door. No one comes in without a warrant and a badge.
    Does this include Santa?

The home invasions have picked up in Delaware in the recent few days. We've had about 4 in two days!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you mailed the form back, this wouldn't be an issue for you.
    But,I sent the form in as soon as I received it. One month later I received another one! My stepson worked as a recruiter for the census. His comment on the quality of people they were hiring,

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    I didn't speak with the lady who visited us, but my wife did and said that she had some kind of badge.

This guy was a census worker. Sick people everywhere.

Census Worker Accused of Raping Disabled Woman - AOL News

(May 11) -- A census worker in Indiana has been arrested and accused of beating and raping a 21-year-old disabled woman.

Daniel Miller had visited the woman's house May 4 as part of his volunteer job with the U.S. Census Bureau, authorities said. Police say he returned to the house before dawn May 8 while he was intoxicated, broke in and assaulted the woman, who lives with her mother.

The attacker left his blue jeans, T-shirt, underwear, boots and wallet with his driver's license in the woman's bedroom, authorities said. Police said they found Miller five hours later at his apartment, naked and with a blood-alcohol level of 0.03, reports WHAS-11, a Louisville, Ky., television station.
    A census worker in Indiana has been arrested and accused of beating and raping a 21-year-old disabled woman
    Washington County Sheriff's Department
    Indiana census worker Daniel Miller is accused of breaking into the home of a disabled woman on Sunday and raping her. Police said Miller visited the 21-year-old's home four days earlier as part of his job with the Census Bureau.

Miller is described as a self-employed tile layer who has a wife of 13 years and two daughters. Debbie Bishop, who lives next door to the alleged victim, spoke with him on May 4.

"He just seemed really nice," Bishop told WHAS-11. "Actually, he was overly friendly."

Miller is being held on a $150,000 bond in an Indiana county jail. He has no previous arrest record.

In a separate incident in Texas, three men who said they were census workers barged into a Houston home the afternoon of May 8 and stabbed the owner, Reginald Keith Haynes, to death. The attack began when the victim's son answered the door. He and his girlfriend were tied up while the attackers ransacked the house, authorities said. Haynes' wife came home later and was also tied up.

When Haynes got home, he was ambushed. The intruders dunked his head underwater in a bathtub before stabbing him, reports the Houston Chronicle. The attack didn't end until nearly four hours later.

The Census Bureau has given guidelines for identifying census workers, who began canvassing the nation May 1 to account for the 28 percent of Americans who did not return their census forms. The 635,000 workers will visit 48 million addresses through July 10.

According to the guidelines, valid census workers:

* Carry white badges with blue writing and a Commerce Department watermark.
    * Carry black shoulder bags with "U.S. Census Bureau" written on them in white ink.
    * Introduce themselves and then show the resident a statement of confidentiality.
    * Will ask only the 10 questions listed on the census form.
    * If asked, will provide the phone number of a supervisor.

Filed under: Nation, Crime
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Ximat1 we are almost neighbors when I am home I live close to you.
    I got a letter from the Census, saying they were going to send me a Census form about two weeks before I got the form. Then I got the Form and mailed it in. Then I got another form just in case I didn't get the first form.

Just another perfect example of the gross waste of $$$ by the Federal Gooberment.

Btw, Tacman and Ximat1, my in-laws live in Sherwood and my wife grew up there. I'm working in LR right now and staying with them. I'm in Sherwood numerous times a month. We oughtta hook up and eat Whole Hog or Wingstop or something and talk guns and life.

I had one stop by yesterday. He was looking for and address that didn't exist (big red flag). He also asked about a vacant/foreclosed house.

As usual I was CCing and my SA was lowered by the fact that he was about 70 years old.

Nevertheless it was a stranger at my door asking questions about my house. Therefore, my hand was in my pocket on my gun, just in case.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

How do we know that the robbers/murderers weren't real census workers just supplementing their pay?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links