Strange situation during my NRA Basic

This is a discussion on Strange situation during my NRA Basic within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the live fire portion of my Pistol Permit Safety Course in the fall, we went to the instructor's friends private range in a more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange situation during my NRA Basic

Strange situation during my NRA Basic

For the live fire portion of my Pistol Permit Safety Course in the fall, we went to the instructor's friends private range in a more rural part of the city. There were residential houses dozens of yards away in either direction but everyone essentially knew about the private property/range and it did not bother them. Well we had just finished shooting and packed up and were heading back to the instructor's truck when these two nosy intimidating looking guys approached us.

They said they were knew to the neighborhood and heard gunshots and wanted to see what was up. The instructor let them know that this was private property but was very civil about it but kept them at a distance. After some friendly gestures and good byes the two guys walked away.

Afterward my instructor said "this is a lesson for you guys, if you hear gun fire its probably best to call the police, not stroll onto someones yard to 'check it out', what if we intended to do them harm"

That is not really all that bothered me though, what if the two guys intended to do US harm?! the instructor is a BEO and he might have been carrying or not, I don't know, I have only had my permit since January and don't know how to see the signs or printing.

Any advice for situations like this?

2. Remove Ads

If you were carrying and they meant to do you harm, do harm to them first. Good advice from your instructor, best not to run towards mass quantities of gunfire unless you KNOW for certain it is a range and people are using it that way. Not good to show up to an extra fresh murder scene.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

What is BEO?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    What is BEO?
    I'm assuming Bail Enforcement Officer, aka bounty hunter...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I'm assuming Bail Enforcement Officer, aka bounty hunter...
    Yes, that is what I meant

i guess it depends on where i am, if i hear gunshots i think nothing of it. most likely one of us having some fun at a range! but thats b/c i dont live in a big scary city. even if i heard a gunshot somewhere that seemed a little out of place, i would just ignore it.
    as for someone coming up to where i am shooting? i either have my gun loaded on my hip or loaded in my hand and shooting... or i guess possibly in the process of being reloaded.. but either way. im bound to have a loaded gun on me.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Afterward my instructor said "this is a lesson for you guys, if you hear gun fire its probably best to call the police, not stroll onto someones yard to 'check it out',
    Very good advice.

You know what they say about curiosity and the cat. Don't be the cat.

Biker

As an item of note the NRA basic pistol instructor requirements _do not_ allow the instructor to carry nor possess live ammunition while instructing or among a teaching environment (not actively instructing).

The only exception to this hard rule is toward allowing the live fire demonstration of function and skill testing phase.
    That is all, and that ammo is to be specific toward the pistols being used which is limited to .22LR.
    I am an NRA basic pistol instructor and took the course to become so just 30 days ago, and thus it's fresh in my brain. I'd passed with a 90/96 test score.

It is not likely at all that your instructor was carrying any firearm on his person.

Which leads things back to you and your own self as related to protecting your own interests as within a non-permissive environment (!).
    No live ammunition is allowed to be had by the students and the NRA is emphatic about this, which includes otherwise licensed/permitted persons.

So say you find yourself under these NPE conditions, what options do you have and make use of then?
    What if these two men had been anything but curious cats?

- Janq carries concealed OC/CS and/or a combat purposed knife among NPE conditions
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    So say you find yourself under these NPE conditions, what options do you have and make use of then?
    What if these two men had been anything but curious cats?
    Well I would have been in quite a pickle there, it being and open field and all and unarmed.... The only thing I have going for me would be Martial Arts training (1st Degree Black Belt), and various close range pistol and knife disarming drills (they were in our bubble...)

And that is the kind of active thinking and situational analysis I was hoping to motivate by my post.

I agree with you...Being in an open area with no place to seek cover/concealment leaves you with one viable option, close distance to the unknown and get within _their_ bubble.
    If one or both acts out then you have less of a disadvantage in being close to them within hands on range as opposed to being at arms length or greater...Making it easier for them to draw on you, and harder for you to react & retaliate.

One of a hundred possibilities.
    It's good to think of as much..Rather than run by oh well nothing can be done/somebody else will take care of me thought. : )

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree, in my art closing the distance as fast as possibly is a necessity

this is why i tell people you cant rely 100% on the gun. knowing basic self defense is a must. i have some martial arts training and earned 2 belts. if someone comes up on you fast catches you off gaurd and grabs hold, you may not be able to get your gun out right away. knowing escapes and take downs is just as important as knowing how to draw and get a sight picture asap. we all spend hours at the range polishing our shooting skills. maybe some weekend classes learning self defense should be on the list of things to do.

The cadence and sound of range fire is very characteristic. My first thought here was that some guys in the neighborhood heard it and came by to check out a range. I doubt they would have any bad intent to walk into an area where obviously so many people were armed. Don't be so paranoid. I agree, your instructor might be a little naive. It just makes me feel safer the more people that are armed in an area. "An armed society is a polite society".

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i would have to say that anyone approaching an area where there is a great deal of gunfire and intending to do harm is probably not a clear thinking individual...i would tend to believe that walking into what appears to be a heavily armed area would be on the no-no list of most bad guys...

i'm sure the membership can come up with multiple possible scenarios here but i'm sticking with bad guys tend to think a bit more safely than that...

I see your point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links