Waiting in the car

This is a discussion on Waiting in the car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this scenario would never play out this way for me. Both of us are always armed. I don't let her run into the Pharmacy... ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Waiting in the car

Well, this scenario would never play out this way for me. Both of us are always armed. I don't let her run into the Pharmacy... She would be the one staying in the car while I go inside.

However, in this situation, regardless of who calls 911, the police are going to be responding to an active shooter inside a pharmacy... Those who chose to bail on the kid and run into check on the wife they so carelessly let go into in the first place merely becomes another armed gunman inside the store when the police arrive. You risk being killed by both the gunman and the police at that point. If you get killed, your wife gets killed, there's an orphan sitting out in some locked car seat waiting lord knows how long before someone discovers him.

For me, the best course of action would be to stay with the child. Not only is it the right thing to do... You are also criminally negligent by leaving the child for any reason inside a locked car. It's called abandonment, child endangerment, negligence and any number of other crimes given your particular State or jurisdiction. Your failure to plan properly by allowing your unarmed wife to go in to run the errand does not relinquish you from your legal responsibility as a parent regarding the unattended child.

Stay with the child, call 911, remain vigilant and prepared to respond. When your wife returns safely, hope she doesn't divorce you for allowing her to go in harms way unprotected.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    Highly unlikely that anyone is going to snatch the baby out of my locked car in the time i am gone. At least not as likely as my wife getting killed in a hail of gunfire by a maniac in a building where the shooting has already started. In this scenario I will take my chances i guess. Call me a bad parent if you will but its not in my character to leave my wife out to dry in this situation. Hell we left both our boys in the car last night as we ran into my folks house for a couple minutes. like i said i'll take my chances.
    Don't count on it;

Lets say you go in, and the clerk has killed the BG. LEO's start to arrive. Congrats, you are now part of a crime scene and are not going anywhere for a while. I hope you don't mind some cop who probably doesn't want to do it in the first place, looking after your kid for a few hours. Or, lets say you go in, are the hero of the day... same thing.

Or lets say you walk in attempting to save your wife and get whacked by the BG as well. Now you have left your baby an orphan.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but your primary responsibility is that child. I do not believe I would leave the kid behind in order to go play cops and robbers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Give me a break I would go inside. You really think a cop is going to cite you for child abandonment in a situation like that...really?? Your wife chose not to carry so shes on her own...incredible!!

Well I love my future wife more than words can say and I cannot say it would not be a hard choice. I would consider going in, but ultimately my first obligation is as a father once I bring a child in to the world... I truly believe my wife would expect the same of me. Protect the child first and react if the threat exits the store, call 911 and be the best witness and informant possible. Give police a good description of the perp.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member
    Your wife lets you wait in the car? Geez, I'm the one that has to go in.

I'm in agreement with those that dial 911 and remain with the child. A child in the car seat is helpless, they are my primary responsibility. I would view my role as defensive.

I might reposition the vehicle for better view, looking for any people/vehicle possibly waiting for the thug. It is a dynamic situation requiring flexibility.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Stay in car, dial 911, and wait.

My child is my number one priority. His safety comes before my own, or anyone else.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    [QUOTE=PackerBackerToo;1614963]Your wife lets you wait in the car? Geez, I'm the one that has to go in.

I am handicapped and don't jump in and out of the car very well. My wife, bless her heart, runs like a gazelle and is used to running into stores while I sit in the car. She also refuses to get her CCW or go armed. She would rather I didn't but she has given up trying to make me go unarmed. I would dial 911 as others have mentioned and make sure the car wasn't in harms way in the event the BG comes out shooting. My gun would be on my lap, ready to protect my child and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    Give me a break I would go inside. You really think a cop is going to cite you for child abandonment in a situation like that...really?? Your wife chose not to carry so shes on her own...incredible!!
    You really think they wouldn't? Especially if you went inside and made a mess of things.

I can tell you I know of at least 5 LEO's I know personally who would cite you. They have a real bug-a-boo about that sort of thing.

And it's not that the wife is on her own kind of thing... It's more like, my wife wouldn't be the one going into the pharmacy in the first place.

In the second place, as an adult with a functioning brain on her shoulders and who has been to tactical shooting classes, I believe she is capable of handling herself in such a situation.

My problem with going inside has much farther reaching tactical blunders by running inside as opposed to staying out and being prepared to respond if things erupt on the outside. It has nothing to do with playing hero to save my wife after I already failed miserably as a husband by allowing her to go in by herself in the first place.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You really think they wouldn't? Especially if you went inside and made a mess of things.

I can tell you I know of at least 5 LEO's I know personally who would cite you. They have a real bug-a-boo about that sort of thing.

And it's not that the wife is on her own kind of thing... It's more like, my wife wouldn't be the one going into the pharmacy in the first place.

In the second place, as an adult with a functioning brain on her shoulders and who has been to tactical shooting classes, I believe she is capable of handling herself in such a situation.

My problem with going inside has much farther reaching tactical blunders by running inside as opposed to staying out and being prepared to respond if things erupt on the outside. It has nothing to do with playing hero to save my wife after I already failed miserably as a husband by allowing her to go in by herself in the first place.

None of which was part of this particular scenario. his maybe a scenario that would not present itself in your life because of the way you handle things or the training your wife has been through. The instance that is presented is that your wife (unarmed) has gone in and is assumed to be untrained and incapable of defending herself. Thats the situation we are responding to. Sure if my wife is well trained and I think she can handle herself then sure I will stay in the car waiting for minutes while seconds are what count. Fact is in my life that is not the sutuation. The wife does not carry and I have my doubts that she ever will. She has no training in defese because she doesn't see the need etc probably like a lot of wives to the people on here.

No one is saying go running in there guns ablazing and shoot up the place. I think it would be much more tactical than that. Of course one would have to asess the situation and take the best course of action based on the information at hand. Maybe the BG has his back to you and is focused completly on the store clerk and you have an opportunity to move in behind him and end the threat. Of course it could go differently too.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Protect the child, be a witness and pray for your wifes safety.

What if you are outside decide to go to a window and look in and in the excitement overlooked the driver sitting in the car waiting for the BG to come out? Now you have a mother inside in who knows what situation and you outside with a BG that has the drop on you ! Better to stay in the car protect your child, you staying put at least keeps you and you child safe for you to reach to any trouble outside that might come your way.
    Last edited by 09Bowtech; May 12th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 09Bowtech View Post
    Protect the child, be a witness and pray for your wifes safety.

What if you are outside decide to go to a window and look in and in the excitement overlooked the driver sitting in the car waiting for the BG to come out? Now you have a mother inside in who knows what situation and you outside with a BG that has the drop on you !
    That i can live with, If I do nothing but sit in the car and wait and when the dust settles walk in to find my wifes brains splattered on the tile that I can't deal with so well.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    for those who've decided to go in and help their wives i didnt see mention of checking the lot to see if there was an accomplice waiting outside...could be anyone anywhere...with any luck your wife wont have to be held hostage and watch you get killed trying to come to her rescue as the bad guy may very well have a tactical plan also that includes positioning himself with a hostage and watching possible entry points....

the assumption that the bad guy is a dummy seems to be a theme here...dont count on it...the reason many of them have the opportunity to participate in multiple crimes isnt just dumb luck...

and for the chivilrous among us...my wife enjoys running in on her own now and then also...and i usually will keep our daughter company...there are certain risks we all accept in life...my wife shops on her own also...i even let her leave the house on occassion...unarmed...oh the horror...and imagine if you ran in and some nut ran up to the car...shot your wife and hijacked it with your kid in it...ooops...that blows your theory all to heck now doesnt it?...just as likely as the op scenario...maybe moreso as its a given that youve left your family and wont be back for a minute or 2....

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Would totally depend on the situation, age of kid, where we are, predicted ETA of police, etc. Tough call. I see both side and would have a hard time sitting still while my non existant wife gets killed, I would also have a hard time leaving my non existant kid in the car by his/herself. I think its a lose lose situation. I think you could inform the wife about S/A and maybe even get her to carry pepper spray if nothing else and maybe she will be better equiped mentally and materially to handle a possible situation. Again tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    for those who've decided to go in and help their wives i didnt see mention of checking the lot to see if there was an accomplice waiting outside...could be anyone anywhere...with any luck your wife wont have to be held hostage and watch you get killed trying to come to her rescue as the bad guy may very well have a tactical plan also that includes positioning himself with a hostage and watching possible entry points....

the assumption that the bad guy is a dummy seems to be a theme here...dont count on it...the reason many of them have the opportunity to participate in multiple crimes isnt just dumb luck...

and for the chivilrous among us...my wife enjoys running in on her own now and then also...and i usually will keep our daughter company...there are certain risks we all accept in life...my wife shops on her own also...i even let her leave the house on occassion...unarmed...oh the horror...and imagine if you ran in and some nut ran up to the car...shot your wife and hijacked it with your kid in it...ooops...that blows your theory all to heck now doesnt it?...just as likely as the op scenario...maybe moreso as its a given that youve left your family and wont be back for a minute or 2....

I would use a pharmacy that delivers.......

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by HKtexas View Post
    So who is watching your kid?

Would you really go inside NOT knowing what is in there? What if the guy you saw was

1-the last member of a 2,3, or 4 person team trying to knock over the store
    2-an undercover cop who witnessed something BEFORE you got there and was responding
    3-a BG looking for the next person to walk though the door so he could shoot him/her?

Sounds foolish to me...rushing into a situation you know nothing about, engaging an unknown number of enemy who have the advantage of concealment and cover, and leaving your child unattended in a vehicle.

Bad. Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post

Agreed...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links