Waiting in the car

This is a discussion on Waiting in the car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In this scenario, all we've heard is one shot, correct? I'd have to play the odds here initially, that that one shot was fired into ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Waiting in the car

In this scenario, all we've heard is one shot, correct?

I'd have to play the odds here initially, that that one shot was fired into either a: the ceiling in an attempt to show the cashier just how serious he is and to hand over the money, or b: into the cashier themselves. That being said, I'm on the phone with 911 & staying in the car to protect my kid.

My (fictitious) wife in this scenario conciously chose to ignore me, the news, and the state of society today and refused to get herself training and a means to defend herself. If she's alive, I'd imagine she'll be looking to rectify that.

If she's not, then I'm the only thing my baby has left in this world, and I'll be damned if some piece of human trash is going to take away both of her parents in the same night.

So just be as good of witness as you can be, and pray your wife is alright is really all you can do.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Don't count on it;

Lets say you go in, and the clerk has killed the BG. LEO's start to arrive. Congrats, you are now part of a crime scene and are not going anywhere for a while. I hope you don't mind some cop who probably doesn't want to do it in the first place, looking after your kid for a few hours. Or, lets say you go in, are the hero of the day... same thing.

Or lets say you walk in attempting to save your wife and get whacked by the BG as well. Now you have left your baby an orphan.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but your primary responsibility is that child. I do not believe I would leave the kid behind in order to go play cops and robbers.
    I'd have to agree with what Sixto wrote. My primary responsibility is protecting my child. Leaving my child in a car alone is not being very responsible and in my opinion places her in danger. I'd most likely put some distance between me and the store and call 911.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Following the scenario as presented. I'm going to stay with the kid and pray for my wife's safety, it's that simple. She would want it that way, she would not want me leaving our child/grandchild alone out in the vehicle, she would be pissed if I did that and more pissed if I got myself killed if she didn't die or I didn't, she would probably shoot me her dang self and that's the simple pure truth their. We have discussed these types of scenarios in the general sense of what we would do or not do. I always let her know that she is not to try and get to me in impossible situations or unclear situations, I will take care of myself and find or reach her, stay put and take care of herself, I will get to her. She says the same, but I won't let her know that I still live under my Dads teachings, it's my responsibility to care and take care of my wife, love honor and cherish her, not let her down, so while I say I won't, I'm tell a small fib in that regards, but that's our secret folks except if I have the grandkid situation, then I'm stuck.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

The wife has the ability to make adult choices. She can protect herself better than the child can, even if she doesn’t have a firearm.
    It is my responsibility to protect the weakest member of my family.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Administrator
    Let me toss in this; You hear one shot. Odds are, nobody is shot. Odds are even better that it is not your wife. Even if it is, what are you going to do by storming in? Are you prepared to deal with a GSW? I know that it is very difficult to render proper first aid to somebody that you are close to when the injury is life threatening.
    So at that point in time, are you going in to protect you wife or for revenge?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've been thinking about this over and over...I'm afraid if my wife was inside and I heard shots I would not be able to sit in the Car and wait...CCW or No CCW. Probably the wrong answer, but its mine!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

VIP Member
    Well as the father of 8 children ranging from 30 to 4, three grandchildren plus one on the way I have only one way to answer this I stay with the child.
    You have heard a shot from inside the store so I will agree that probably a shot to get everyones attention or someone has tried something and has been injured. Can you save them without sacrificing yourself in the process? Probably not.
    You do not know the number or locations of other suspects, IF you even think of it at the time, so as you tactically make your way throught the parking lot you are shot in the back by an accomplice. Either way child is alone in car with the worst case scenario being your wife is the one shot or killed and you have been shot or killed by the unseen suspect(s).
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Wow!! Wow!! Wow!! I am going to move the truck lock the doors and I am going to try and help my wife. Period!! Go ahead and stay in the car/truck let your wife die, then when that child you stayed with asked you why you didnt help his/her mommy then you can explain that you felt it was better/safer to sit on your...............Wow!!!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we screwed up".

I just want to add that I love my wife more then I love myself (as should all husbands), I would take a bullet for her in a second. When I hear about a car crash close to were she was going I make a phone call. There is no way I could even fathom sitting on my butt and waiting to see if she is going to be ok. All the other bull about its bad leaving your kids in the car blah, blah, blah. Many of us grew up when we didn’t even have seat belts and sat in the car all the time.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we screwed up".

Nobody that stayed in their car mentioned (that I saw) phoning the wife & warning her of the impending situation so that she could hide...
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    ZX9 good point. 2nd I doubt anyone here loves their wife any less than you do this is a no win situation either way it goes. Everyone has an opinion in the matter and no one is really wrong it is personal choice.
    The average CCW permit holder does not have training in dynamic/non dynamic entry nor methods of room clearing or the marksmanship ability for this to have a happy outcome, if you do great, but kicking in the front door, or sneaking in however you would do it, to confront a suspect(s) armed with a shotgun may or may not be the best choice but as stated everyone has an opinion.
    In regards to the generation growing up without seat belts you are right I am one of them, also no bike helmets, had lead painted toys, and airplane glue that would get you high but still does not mean that I would leave my child asleep, alone in a locked car in the middle of a shots fired armed robbery. But that is my opinion.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf Girl View Post
    Honestly the original post sounds like one of those tests where they give you vague information and ask you what you would do.... and then when you answer with what seems right.... they drop the rest of the details on you that now make it clear your decision was wrong. Familiar with those little tests?

Yes. I am married.

What would the LEO do?

First of all I agree with the majority of the people here about this, Stay in the car and provide security for my kid and any other panicing bystanders.

First of all YOU dont walk in, LEO dont even walk in, when LEO arrive they have to wait for back up before even scratching there balls.

Second it is prob not the intention of the BG to kill anyone, If the cashier does his demands, gives him cash or whatever everyone goes home safe.

Third there is prob a driver waiting for the BG.

I would see this happening if it ever happened to me first of all call the cops, Cashier prob has a gun( Im in Montana) and will use it on the BG if he has the chance, he either kills or holds the BG, the driver either goes in to get the cash or drive away knowing his buddy is dead and leo is on the way, you get his license number and vehicle description and the police will get him. The bad guy starts to go in with gun drawn, I would step out of the car pistol drawn, staying close to my car but moving closer for a accurate shot to the bad guy and telling him to eat the ground or my bullet. LEO arrives BG's delt with, everyone goes home safe, thats what I see happening in my community.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Nobody that stayed in their car mentioned (that I saw) phoning the wife & warning her of the impending situation so that she could hide...
    really?...you would want your wife answering a phone call with a potential armed thief entering the store...how much attention do you want to draw toward her?...its a pharmacy not a super walmart...chances are the guy is gonna have a good picture and can hear just about everything going on in the store...

and i love my wife also...but the one shot isnt going to have me running into an unknown to play mall ninja because i feel like i'm the only guy who can save the world...and the chance of aggravating the situation is better than ending it...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There's a zillion answers (just wanted to write "zillion"); which one do you want?

Honestly, I'm with First Sgt on this one. With a defenseless child in the car, I think I'm calling 911 and establishing my defense where I stand. Charging with firearm drawn into the store would only add to the chaos. As bad as I would feel about my wife being inside, I can't defend everyone everywhere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links