Waiting in the car

Waiting in the car

This is a discussion on Waiting in the car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You drive up to the front of the pharmacy and let your wife out to go in and get a perscription. You then backup and ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiting in the car

Waiting in the car

You drive up to the front of the pharmacy and let your wife out to go in and get a perscription. You then backup and park with your car facing the store. Your baby is in the back seat sleeping.

Suddnely, you see a very crude looking individual heading into the store with what appears to be a gun barrel sticking out from under his jacket. Moments later, you hear a gun shot from inside the store, very loud, probably a 12 gauge shotgun.

Your wife is inside the store, unarmed. Your baby is in the car with you. You are CCW with your most trusted weapon. What do you do?
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

Call the police, insist that your wife carry, take care of yourself and your child. I would remain at a very high level of awarness and watch for other danger outside the store.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Call 911 and stay in the car to protect your helpless kid...your wife can at least find cover, the kid is strapped in a seat. It would be negligent to leave the car with or without the kid. Consider moving the car to get your kid out of immediate danger when the BG leaves the store unless that would place you closer to the door.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Call 911...Stay on the phone with the 911 operator...Prepare to defend yourself and your child...You can't help your wife at this point...Perhaps consider moving the vehicle, depending on the parking location...Observe and prepare for the worse.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Call 911...Stay on the phone with the 911 operator...Prepare to defend yourself and your child...You can't help your wife at this point...Perhaps consider moving the vehicle, depending on the parking location...Observe and prepare for the worse.

Find a pharmacy with a drive through window?

I got to be honest here. I think i would find myself going into the store. I would not be leaving my wifes life in the hands of a crazed criminal with a gun. Ideally I would gain entry and suprise the BG and end his life quickly but things don't always go as planned. Either way i don't think i could sit helplessly on the phone waiting 5 minutes for the police to arrive while my wife is unarmed in the store like that. Just not in my nature.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    I got to be honest here. I think i would find myself going into the store. I would not be leaving my wifes life in the hands of a crazed criminal with a gun. Ideally I would gain entry and suprise the BG and end his life quickly but things don't always go as planned. Either way i don't think i could sit helplessly on the phone waiting 5 minutes for the police to arrive while my wife is unarmed in the store like that. Just not in my nature.

What if you rushed in.... and it turns out the gunshot heard was a pharmacy employee killing the BG. Wife and customers are now safe.... and someone loitering in the area saw you leave your baby and has now gone and snatched your baby out of your car.

It's an impossible situation.... I just don't see leaving a baby in a car alone..... even for a few minutes as the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf Girl View Post
    What if you rushed in.... and it turns out the gunshot heard was a pharmacy employee killing the BG. Wife and customers are now safe.... and someone loitering in the area saw you leave your baby and has now gone and snatched your baby out of your car.

It's an impossible situation.... I just don't see leaving a baby in a car alone..... even for a few minutes as the right answer.

Highly unlikely that anyone is going to snatch the baby out of my locked car in the time i am gone. At least not as likely as my wife getting killed in a hail of gunfire by a maniac in a building where the shooting has already started. In this scenario I will take my chances i guess. Call me a bad parent if you will but its not in my character to leave my wife out to dry in this situation. Hell we left both our boys in the car last night as we ran into my folks house for a couple minutes. like i said i'll take my chances.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

My main issue with going in is not knowing what you are getting into. If you can't see in, the BG has a big advantage if he sees you coming. As much as I would hate for something to happen to my wife, having my kids grow up with neither parent could be worse. I'd be on the phone and ready to react. But cops don't even barge in without overwhelming force on their side. And a handgun against a shotgun is NOT overwhelming force, and it could be a death sentence for the ccp holder. Tough call either way. And the entirety of the situation would ultimately make the call.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    Call me a bad parent if you will but its not in my character to leave my wife out to dry in this situation. Hell we left both our boys in the car last night as we ran into my folks house for a couple minutes. like i said i'll take my chances.

Nahhhh I wasn't calling you a bad parent.

Honestly the original post sounds like one of those tests where they give you vague information and ask you what you would do.... and then when you answer with what seems right.... they drop the rest of the details on you that now make it clear your decision was wrong. Familiar with those little tests?

For example, in this question we don't know if it's day or night..... if the neighborhood is family safe or in the 'hood'. If the BG has a car with another guy in it waiting in the lot..... etc., etc. Vague on purpose. Truth be told.... no one REALLY knows what they'd do until they are in the situation and have all the relevant information to make a decision

Call 911...be a witness...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I would have to take my little girl (5) and move the car away. My loving wife choses to not carry and would like it if I did not also. Her chose. my little girl does not have that chose. I'll stay with her.

And yes. in life it is that black and white.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

alright. since im the wife, im the one that carries, and i dont have a kid... kinds of hard for me to relate but i will try...
    i will assume that for some reason i have one of those kritters in my car, whether its mine, or for now i will imagine it is my neice.
    if the child were a BABY (not going anywhere), I would if necessary get the kid in a safe place not way out in the open. I would call the police, quickly tell them the situation, tell them where my child is less i dont come back, and try and find a way to get into the store without being seen, or at least find a window or something where i could at least see what is going on and assess the situation further from that point.
    if the child was older, i would tell them to hide in the car, or if possible run over to the next store, etc and stay safe and do the same thing. If i did not believe my child was in immediate danger, and there was some way for me to at a minimum find out what is going on inside and see if there was anything i could do.. i simply could not leave my husband to possibly die if there was something i might be able to do about it.

note: i did not say i was going to rush into the store. exactly how i would proceed really depends on much more specifics. what i could see, where i was in relationship to the guy, etc.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links